List of Upcoming UFA Defensemen

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Aside from the early parts of the season, Hejda was pretty bad in the 2nd half of the season and in the playoffs. That's the position that needs to be upgraded the most. Gotta find a partner for EJ, a true top pair d-man.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
From that list I would want:

Martin, Paul
Staal, Marc
Beauchemin, Francois
Boychuk, Johnny
Greene, Andy
Methot, Marc
Sekera, Andrej

Obviously not all of them will reach UFA.

or maybe none of them reach UFA. methot and boychuk, maybe staal, i'd consider most likely. depending on the direction sens are heading, methot might be traded. boychuk if he wants too much money for bruins liking. staal is ranger or cane 15-16 season, i think.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The concern I have with going whole hog on Niskanen, i.e. the 6+ range, is that it blows the whole salary construction of the team off kilter. Do you want an outsider to set the payroll standard in negotiations? Right now your highest paid players are the "core" guys in Duchene and Lando....and I imagine the teams goal is to set similar range deals for O'Reilly and a slightly higher value in the UFA Stastny.

I don't think Niskanen will get 6+ but let's put it that way: If we sign him he's going to be our #2 dman and will be paid accordingly (ie: less than EJ and more than Barrie). People were talking about EJ getting ~6.5/7 and we should expect Barrie to get ~3.5/4. Niskanen would fit right in at ~5.5 and that wouldn't hurt the pay structure of the team.

Right now our D squad is earning peanuts but that won't last.

Last edited:

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I don't think Niskanen will get 6+ but let's put it that way: If we sign him he's going to be our #2 dman and will be paid accordingly (ie: less than EJ and more than Barrie). People were talking about EJ getting ~6.5/7 and we should expect Barrie to get ~3.5/4. Niskanen would fit right in at ~5.5 and that wouldn't hurt the pay structure of the team.

Right now our D squad is earning peanuts but that won't last.

yeah well those people are stupid.
You don't pay young guys big bucks based on potential. That's how you get stuck with Tyler Myers at $5.5m.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
uh Nick Holden put up better numbers...

And look at the difference in teammates/players surrounding the two of those guys...

Buffalo was a trainwreck this year. Myers for 5.5 million? Sign me up.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
And look at the difference in teammates/players surrounding the two of those guys...

Buffalo was a trainwreck this year. Myers for 5.5 million? Sign me up.

yeah because on a better team he would be 3rd pairing.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
yeah because on a better team he would be 3rd pairing.

oh-you-dog.jpg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That article is the classic Dater/Chambers speculation: "Since the defense is a weakness the Avs could take a shot at a defenseman... I guess... Or not... Who knows..."

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bob McKenzie uses Capgeek as well, so there is nothing wrong about that.

Chambers, even using Capgeek, still makes him a Pejorative Slur because what he's doing is making stories to get hits for something we have all speculated on for the last whole season.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
That's Dater's loophole with the Dater jynx. He makes a bold claim and if it turns out wrong, he's still right because of the Dater Jynx.

It's more the Eklund theory of rumor protection. Make the rumor, but add in enough doubt so you can reasonably explain why your rumor never happened.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Chambers really is an awful journalist. He somehow manages to make every story showcase his weak ties to either DU or local youth hockey.

c0rn1

Mar 15, 2012
I'd like to see a Paul Martin 2y x 3-4m pa contract to close the gap between the upcoming younglings and the current issue.
I think a
Johnson - Martin
Barrie - Hejda
Guenin - Holden

combo wouldn't be too bad in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad