Linesman knocked out by punch in BCHL game.

DoubleDouble*

How's that disgusting? Dumonceaux didn't punch the guy on purpose. The linesman went in to break up a fight where punches were still being thrown; the result you saw is why NHL officials don't do that.

He starting throwing punches once the linesmen was between them. You don't do that. In any level of hockey I've played, you simply don't throw once there is an official between you.

Notice how the other player acts? That's the code.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
He starting throwing punches once the linesmen was between them. You don't do that. In any level of hockey I've played, you simply don't throw once there is an official between you.

Notice how the other player acts? That's the code.

This, it's not that hard to avoid punching a ref.

DoubleDouble*

What would be the penalty for a player who did this and knocked out an NHL ref? What kind of suspension would they face?

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
What would be the penalty for a player who did this and knocked out an NHL ref? What kind of suspension would they face?

Probably a hefty suspension (more than a hit on a player) + fine. I know that if I were to get assaulted as an official by a player or coach, I can press charges against said person.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
This is why the refs should stop jumping into 2 men weighing typically over 400 pounds and sometimes over 500 pounds together, and try to break them up by themselves.

They will get hurt, or they will hold one player back and not the other resulting in a single player getting hurt.

Step back, wait for them to get tired and your linesman partner or referee partner if necessary to step in and help you.

DoubleDouble*

This is why the refs should stop jumping into 2 men weighing typically over 400 pounds and sometimes over 500 pounds together, and try to break them up by themselves.

They will get hurt, or they will hold one player back and not the other resulting in a single player getting hurt.

Step back, wait for them to get tired and your linesman partner or referee partner if necessary to step in and help you.

I agree with you, but I wanted to share - I met an NHL ref at a charity event this summer, and he was probably 6'3'' 200+ lbs. Those guys are big themselves, at least at the pro level. Still, I agree.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I agree with you, but I wanted to share - I met an NHL ref at a charity event this summer, and he was probably 6'3'' 200+ lbs. Those guys are big themselves, at least at the pro level. Still, I agree.

I believe the NHL refs go through the same physical standards and tests as players do in training camp.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I said this when the new rule got put in place, the NHL putting in that rule where they are supposed to jump in early is going to get a linesman hurt and going to cause a huge uproar. It's just a matter of time. Another tool to get fighting out of the game

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What an idiot. Not only did he throw a punch while the linesman was breaking them up and KO the linesman but then while the linesman was half falling to the ice and the ref got involved he then threw another punch at the opponent.

He should be smart enough to know not to throw the 1st punch but when you throw a punch and knock the linesman down you should be smart enough not to throw another :facepalm:

this were the NHL I'd say that's 3-5 games, would have been 1 or 2 but tack on an extra couple for still throwing a punch after he KO'ed the linesman

John McClane

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary, AB
Didn't Cluttuberbuck or some other Wild player do the same thing last season? Obviously didn't knock the ref out, but I swear I remember seeing a ref get punched.

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
No Suspension

BCJHL ruled that player had no intent to hit the linesman therefore no suspension.
http://hammersdogs.blogspot.ca/2013/11/dogs-head-to-powell-river-visit-kings.html

In the rulebook, players are to control their stick and even inadvertent injury to another player warrants a penalty. But blindly hitting an official, knocking the official to the ice, bleeding and having the same official sent to the hospital. I disagree.

The following is a blog written by Paul Stewart, former NHL referee.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul...This-Some-of-Them-Want-to-Abuse-You/196/55626

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad