Pre-Game Talk: Lines for Wednesday

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Your argument is terrible. It makes no sense. So not only do we have to pay Lucic 6 million to be a top line player, he also HAS to have a healthy #1 center-man in David Krejci to make him better? If that's not enough we need to trade top a top line RW in order to make Milan Lucic capable of producing on the 1st line? Dude, get real. Lucic has sucked all season with or without David Krejci. It should not be DK's responsibility or anyone else's to make Milan Lucic play to his contract.

Lucic has had the worst season of his career. We can count the number of games in which he actually skated and was a difference maker on one hand. He has done nothing to earn a spot of the 1st line. If anything the last game he looked good, he was on a 3rd line with Campbell and Kelly.

Part of coaching is putting players in a position to succeed. Not only has Milan Lucic been a failure majority of the year, so has Claude Julien for not utilizing him in the right roles or holding him accountable for his abysmal play. He isn't skating. He isn't scoring. He is currently an anchor on that top line. Keeping him there will only slow David Krejci down. By putting him on a 3rd line does not hurt anyone. Bergeron hasn't been himself either. Maybe they can find their game together. Plus he (Lucic) has played with Griffith a good chunk of the season. Sounds like a good 3rd line to me, one with a lot less pressure on them. Also they will play against other teams 3rd and 4th lines (much slower and skilled lines) giving Milan an easier time keeping up with the play. Sounds perfect for him. Less pressure and better match ups.

The last game against Detroit all top 3 lines played great and looked great. It doesn't matter that the top line didn't have any ES points. They skated, they hustled and they created opportunities. That is something we haven't seen from Lucic on the top line in months. I am pretty sure everyone saw this. I'm sure there are several people with man crushes on Lucic like yourself but seriously he has played himself off the top line and hopefully after last game, Claude Julien will finally see this and start actually coaching this damn team to win or at least be in a better position to succeed.

Pulse check. 72 bpm. I think I'm okay.

------------
I was refering to your arguments. Your saying Lucic is not good enough for DK, and 63 and 18 will be better off with 46.

My question is: Your saying Lucic is bringing down DK performance. Therefore, Lucic is THE problem. You are also saying Lucic at 6 Million needs to be good on his own, but you are also saying the opposite on DK suggesting that playing with 63 and 18 makes more sense because they are more offensive gifted. So at 6 Millions Lucic needs to be better without a performing center and no RWinger and DK doesn't! Are you saying DK is playing like the past years?

As for Lucic not performing. Right it's the case. But DK ain't performing either! He played with two wingers (NHL caliber last game) which Lucic didn't have the opportunity to have except for a short period of time with Soderberg. People were saying the same for these couple of games with Soderberg about Lucic. Put DK or PB with Griffith and Cunningham as wingers and they won't perform either.

Put Lucic with two others NHL caliber for a couple of game and results will come, which he did not have the luxury this season.

DK without a performing RW did also nothing to impress either.

Boston do not have a Sidney Crosby, and each players on Boston needs his teamates to perform. That is why they (the core player upfront) are paid 6 M. and not 10 like those who can. Lucic ain't different of PB or DK.

So I saw the last couple of games, that 63, 37 and 18 were picking up their game. Nothing change with DK, PB and DK are quite intangible. But pointing out Lucic as the only 6 M Boston players who needs his teamates to perform is just flat not right. And that is what I'M saying.

I'm not saying not to try changes to help and start players. But Lucic and DK are BOTH struggling. Don't pretend your not saying Lucic needs to be good by himself and in the same post saying Lucic is bringing down DK. That argument is terrible and dishonest for Lucic!

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
------------
I was refering to your arguments. Your saying Lucic is not good enough for DK, and 63 and 18 will be better off with 46.

My question is: Your saying Lucic is bringing down DK performance. Therefore, Lucic is THE problem. You are also saying Lucic at 6 Million needs to be good on his own, but you are also saying the opposite on DK suggesting that playing with 63 and 18 makes more sense because they are more offensive gifted. So at 6 Millions Lucic needs to be better without a performing center and no RWinger and DK doesn't! Are you saying DK is playing like the past years?

As for Lucic not performing. Right it's the case. But DK ain't performing either! He played with two wingers (NHL caliber last game) which Lucic didn't have the opportunity to have except for a short period of time with Soderberg. People were saying the same for these couple of games with Soderberg about Lucic. Put DK or PB with Griffith and Cunningham as wingers and they won't perform either.

Put Lucic with two others NHL caliber for a couple of game and results will come, which he did not have the luxury this season.

DK without a performing RW did also nothing to impress either.

Boston do not have a Sidney Crosby, and each players on Boston needs his teamates to perform. That is why they (the core player upfront) are paid 6 M. and not 10 like those who can. Lucic ain't different of PB or DK.

So I saw the last couple of games, that 63, 37 and 18 were picking up their game. Nothing change with DK, PB and DK are quite intangible. But pointing out Lucic as the only 6 M Boston players who needs his teamates to perform is just flat not right. And that is what I'M saying.

I'm not saying not to try changes to help and start players. But Lucic and DK are BOTH struggling. Don't pretend your not saying Lucic needs to be good by himself and in the same post saying Lucic is bringing down DK. That argument is terrible and dishonest for Lucic!
Do you think Lucic could succeed playing with Bergeron and Griffith with 3rd line expectations?

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Do you think Lucic could succeed playing with Bergeron and Griffith with 3rd line expectations?

---------
Good question.

I think Lucic and Bergeron are made to play together. I also think with the right RW they could be deadly. So I'm not sold on 53. But It can work.

The difference is in the match up. I'M not sold on 63, 46 and 18 to play night in and night out against the best opponents line. I'm also not sold on the Soderberg defensive game to play against the top opponents line on a large sample, especially against physical opponents.

But I could easily see a 17, 37 and 88 (while quite young) being good.

My point is: No Bruins player will have success with an AHL RW on a large sample. So 63 and 18 could pull DK, but DK non performance has to do with 17 and Lucic's one is also part of 46 performance. And both games are impacted by the RW hole.
DK is on a pace of 57 points and a minus +- year, PB is on a paste of 62 and a plus +- year. Soderberg is on a paste of 57-58 points! One is having a mediocre year (37) following alot of poster while the other one (46) is brought down by 17 and Soderberg is a beast! That is what I can't stand.

That was my point. But your question is good. I believe it could work for that line.

Colinsteadbruinsfan

Newfie Bruin
Nov 15, 2014
Regina, SK
Just to be sure. Did DK start to play east-west this year?
If not, how did Lucic stayed all that time his left winger on a President Cup champion, Stanley cup finalist and a Stanley Cup champion?

Lucic is a very good LW who is having a hard season. Hope the Bruins will keep a better opinion of Lucic than most here on this board.
he is having a hard year, but he's being paid 6 million! A bad year for a 6 million dollar player is not showing up 25 percent of the time and being on pace for less then 15 goals! I'm sorry Ive supported him for ever and now his play is no longer allowing me to do that! He did great with Krejci for year when he had help on the right side! He should be able to create his own offence if he skates!

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
he is having a hard year, but he's being paid 6 million! A bad year for a 6 million dollar player is not showing up 25 percent of the time and being on pace for less then 15 goals! I'm sorry Ive supported him for ever and now his play is no longer allowing me to do that! He did great with Krejci for year when he had help on the right side! He should be able to create his own offence if he skates!

----------
I agree.

Same could be said for DK! A 6Million center should be capable of having success without his wingers!

That is all I'M saying. (I still beleive DK is not 100% healthy though).

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
---------
Good question.

I think Lucic and Bergeron are made to play together. I also think with the right RW they could be deadly. So I'm not sold on 53. But It can work.

The difference is in the match up. I'M not sold on 63, 46 and 18 to play night in and night out against the best opponents line. I'm also not sold on the Soderberg defensive game to play against the top opponents line on a large sample, especially against physical opponents.

But I could easily see a 17, 37 and 88 (while quite young) being good.

My point is: No Bruins player will have success with an AHL RW on a large sample. So 63 and 18 could pull DK, but DK non performance has to do with 17 and Lucic's one is also part of 46 performance. And both games are impacted by the RW hole.
DK is on a pace of 57 points and a minus +- year, PB is on a paste of 62 and a plus +- year. Soderberg is on a paste of 57-58 points! One is having a mediocre year (37) following alot of poster while the other one (46) is brought down by 17 and Soderberg is a beast! That is what I can't stand.

That was my point. But your question is good. I believe it could work for that line.
I agree about whether or not lines 1 and 2 could be successful against top opposition is questionable but thus far what we have been doing hasn't worked.I realize that the black hole RW problem is a big reason why but I don't think the RW we desire is walking through the door until the trade deadline so we have to work with what we have.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I agree about whether or not lines 1 and 2 could be successful against top opposition is questionable but thus far what we have been doing hasn't worked.I realize that the black hole RW problem is a big reason why but I don't think the RW we desire is walking through the door until the trade deadline so we have to work with what we have.

---------
Sometimes it is all a question of chemistry.

Boston trading JB makes me beleive that maybe that aspect was not really well evaluate.

Sometimes it,s not only talent, it's the right fit. And in Bruins hockey, we have a huge hole in the top 4 D, so I beleive up front they need to get a physical RW which Boston do not have on any of their 4 lines!

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I don't mean to be rude but theres a Lucic thread. I thought this thread would give me an idea on what the lines would be tomorrow night and whether Lucic or Bergy were good to go vs Leafs! Again, I certainly mean no disrespect, I have too much respect for all of you. By the way, Hope you all have a healthy and Happy New Year and also to your families from my family.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Assuming we have Lucic back, I say we keep our top 2 lines against Detroit intact and maybe try Lucic with Bergeron and Griffith. Shaking things up (albeit involuntarily) seemed to work for us last game so let's do the same with Lucic to get him going. I would like to see:

Marchand-Krejci-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson
Lucic-Bergeron-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Cunningham

Caron played well but I wouldn't play him over Cunny or Griffith at this point unless one of Bergeron or Lucic are still out.

Provided that the proposed Bergeron line can find some chemistry, this will give us three very capable scoring lines. What do you guys think?

I really like these lines. Its giving most players different linemates while at the same time having three scoring lines.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
I'm sure I'll be in the minority but...

Lucic - Krejci - Griffith
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Kelly - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Campbell - Lucky

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I don't mean to be rude but theres a Lucic thread. I thought this thread would give me an idea on what the lines would be tomorrow night and whether Lucic or Bergy were good to go vs Leafs! Again, I certainly mean no disrespect, I have too much respect for all of you. By the way, Hope you all have a healthy and Happy New Year and also to your families from my family.

Mmmmm,but we were discussing Lucic in the context of potential line mates , I don't think we were off topic.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Mmmmm,but we were discussing Lucic in the context of potential line mates , I don't think we were off topic.

To be honest my friend, it was pretty stupid of me to read page 2 before page 1. I was about to delete post but considering you replied, I wont. you are correct and you guys were not off topic. I messed up and apologize for it. Have an awesome 2015!!

Colinsteadbruinsfan

Newfie Bruin
Nov 15, 2014
Regina, SK
----------
I agree.

Same could be said for DK! A 6Million center should be capable of having success without his wingers!

That is all I'M saying. (I still beleive DK is not 100% healthy though).
Yeah I agree with this too ! Krejci was a point per game player before sitting out for this recent stretch with the injury so I still have faith he will regain his form! Optimism is key!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That is Claude Julien's lines and Lucic's failure for this entire year thus far. And doing what worked in the past is why this team has failed all year. It's time to split Bergy/Marchand and Lucic/Krejci up.

Last game was the first ray of hope we have had in months. The lines played amazing and we WON convincingly and gave a full 60 minute effort.

You fools who want to go back to Lucic with Krejci and give them MORE time, you are the insane ones.

Tomorrow's line up at forward SHOULD look like this if everyone was healthy and CJ was smart.

Marchand - Krejci - Smith (Let the fast and creative wingers continue to play with Krejci. Their speed and hands score goals. That's what David needs)
Eriksson - Soderberg - Kelly (BEST line all year and great chemistry)
Lucic - Bergeron - Griffith (Insert Lucic in a more checking line roll and play with guys more his speed)
Paille - Campbell - Caron (Actually had great puck control and cycle last game)

*** Players need to be held accountable. At this point Lucic does NOT deserve any more time on the 1st line or Krejci's wing. Maybe if he can find his game on the 3rd line and start playing like the player he use to be we can give him another chance. Reward performance and hold these guys accountable.

You will never find a more consistent duo than Marchand-Bergeron. These guys dominate possession and read off of each other so damn well. Even this year, they're one of the only things actually working on this team. Consistently the backbone of a top line in the entire league for the last 4 and a half years and some people want to split them up after one game of Marchand-Krejci-Smith. Like I said, insanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad