Pre-Game Talk: Lines for Wednesday

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Assuming we have Lucic back, I say we keep our top 2 lines against Detroit intact and maybe try Lucic with Bergeron and Griffith. Shaking things up (albeit involuntarily) seemed to work for us last game so let's do the same with Lucic to get him going. I would like to see:

Marchand-Krejci-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson
Lucic-Bergeron-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Cunningham

Caron played well but I wouldn't play him over Cunny or Griffith at this point unless one of Bergeron or Lucic are still out.

Provided that the proposed Bergeron line can find some chemistry, this will give us three very capable scoring lines. What do you guys think?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Assuming we have Lucic back, I say we keep our top 2 lines against Detroit intact and maybe try Lucic with Bergeron and Griffith. Shaking things up (albeit involuntarily) seemed to work for us last game so let's do the same with Lucic to get him going. I would like to see:

Marchand-Krejci-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson
Lucic-Bergeron-Griffith

Caron played well but I wouldn't play him over Cunny or Griffith at this point unless one of Bergeron or Lucic are still out.

Provided that the proposed Bergeron line can find some chemistry, this will give us three very capable scoring lines. What do you guys think?

The only good game the 4th line has played all year was with Caron.I would sit Cunningham.Griffith and Caron are the only "newbies" that I hope are in the lineup until we find a RW.

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO

Marchand-Krejci-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson
Lucic-Bergeron-Griffith

l agree... they looked like a team for the first time in a long time... the change may help out luc.. and bergy too.. keep the first two lines the same.. use berggy between luc and griff.... fourth line .... throw names into a hat and see what you get.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What I would like to see:

Lucic - Krejci - Smith
Marchand - Bergeron - Griffith
Kelly - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Campbell - Cunningham

What we will most likely see:

Lucic - Krejci - Cunningham or Grifffith
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Paille - Campbell - Caron

Heaven forbid Clode leave our best offensive RW in Smith, with our best offensive C in Krejci for more than one freaking game.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
What I would like to see:

Lucic - Krejci - Smith
Paille - Campbell - Cunningham

What we will most likely see:

Lucic - Krejci - Cunningham or Grifffith
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Paille - Campbell - Caron

Heaven forbid Clode leave our best offensive RW in Smith, with our best offensive C in Krejci for more than one freaking game.

--------
The Bruins best RW is Loui Eriksson. By your logic, Eriksson should be with DK.

As for DK, I'm not sure he is 100% back. Think he was pushed because they were struggling.

Smith with DK and Lucic. Will see. That line will surely lack speed. That is why I think they will put 53 or 61 on that RW of 46 and 17. That is a spot needed to be adress by the Bruins.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
We need Smith with Krejci, because Krejci needs a shooter. Loui isn't a shooter. Lucic isn't a shooter. Lucic skating with Bergeron will expose him too much against opposing offenses. The best lines for this team are:

Lucic - Krejci - Smith
Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Kelly - Yeti - Eriksson
Lindblad/Griffith - Spooner - Cunningham/Griffith

That is, assuming no injuries, and Pasta back from the wasteful junior tournament. He's already in the league, there is no reason he should be playing there.

Anyways, replace Spooner with Campbell for now, slot Griffith in for Pasta until he's back, and we have a solid, cost efficient forward group. Either Paille or Kelly is dead weight right now, so it's Sophie's choice whichever we don't ice, but I'd prefer Kelly right now with the work that line is doing. So, for Wednesday, I'd ice the following:

Lucic - Krejci - Smith
Kelly - Yeti - Eriksson
Lindblad - Campbell - Cunningham

That gives us a shooter for Krejci, someone for Bergeron to teach, a consistent line, and a scrappy 4th.

We can't put a left wing with Soderberg, because he can't see him. We can't put Loui with Krejci and Lucic because nobody will shoot, or with Bergeron because it's a redundant piece. The only thing I'd be nervous of is penalty killing by dropping Paille, but the kids don't seem unfamiliar with the task. With Pasta in, this team looks really, really good.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Why? Hockey teams often use an abbreviated form of the player's last name as kind of a nickname: Doakie, Espo, Savvy, Quaider, to name a few.

Espo, Savvy, & Quaider are not going to be interpreted as a body part.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
--------
The Bruins best RW is Loui Eriksson. By your logic, Eriksson should be with DK.

As for DK, I'm not sure he is 100% back. Think he was pushed because they were struggling.

Smith with DK and Lucic. Will see. That line will surely lack speed. That is why I think they will put 53 or 61 on that RW of 46 and 17. That is a spot needed to be adress by the Bruins.

I didn't say best RW, I said best "offensive" RW, which in my opinion is Smith, not Eriksson. Eriksson is the better all-around player.

Line would lack speed? You think Griffith is fast? Iginla and Horton weren't speedsters and did alright in that spot.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Please for the love of God keep Lucic off of David Krejcis wing.

Leave the lines from last game. If Lucic and Begeron are back, pair them with Griffith to complete the final line.

Colinsteadbruinsfan

Newfie Bruin
Nov 15, 2014
Regina, SK
We need Smith with Krejci, because Krejci needs a shooter. Loui isn't a shooter. Lucic isn't a shooter. Lucic skating with Bergeron will expose him too much against opposing offenses. The best lines for this team are:

Lucic - Krejci - Smith
Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Kelly - Yeti - Eriksson
Lindblad/Griffith - Spooner - Cunningham/Griffith

That is, assuming no injuries, and Pasta back from the wasteful junior tournament. He's already in the league, there is no reason he should be playing there.

Anyways, replace Spooner with Campbell for now, slot Griffith in for Pasta until he's back, and we have a solid, cost efficient forward group. Either Paille or Kelly is dead weight right now, so it's Sophie's choice whichever we don't ice, but I'd prefer Kelly right now with the work that line is doing. So, for Wednesday, I'd ice the following:

Lucic - Krejci - Smith
Kelly - Yeti - Eriksson
Lindblad - Campbell - Cunningham

That gives us a shooter for Krejci, someone for Bergeron to teach, a consistent line, and a scrappy 4th.

We can't put a left wing with Soderberg, because he can't see him. We can't put Loui with Krejci and Lucic because nobody will shoot, or with Bergeron because it's a redundant piece. The only thing I'd be nervous of is penalty killing by dropping Paille, but the kids don't seem unfamiliar with the task. With Pasta in, this team looks really, really good.

The lines from last night i liked! And would like to see them the same as well!! Try seperatng Bergeron and Marchand for a period to see what works best ! I like the thought of having kreci between smith and Marchand ! Much more talent for Krejci to play with! Bergeron plays a north south game which is what lucic needs to play ! Krejci plays an east west game and leaves lucic looking lost ! Keep the third line together

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I didn't say best RW, I said best "offensive" RW, which in my opinion is Smith, not Eriksson. Eriksson is the better all-around player.

Line would lack speed? You think Griffith is fast? Iginla and Horton weren't speedsters and did alright in that spot.

-------------
I heard. But I still believe Loui is a better Offensive player also. And following you logic it has to be Loui up there.

I do think if there is no trade for RW, it's Pastrnak that needs to go there (DK line) when he return's.

As for Iginla or Horton, I should add, if not speed, at least physicality (intimidating presence) which 53 does not have neither Smith should I add. Both Iginla and Horton played the board with 17 and gave alot of time to DK (who was also healthy which I'M not sure he is right now). Iginla or Horton with Lucic and DK played puck possession and gain the opponents slot with physical presence.

Never said 53 was my choice though. I said my thougts was till 88 or a trade comes trhu, they (Bruins) will possibly go with him or Cunningham on the RW spot.

As breaking the 63,37 I believe it's flat not logical right now. But I woudn't be against 17 and 37 for a long moment with a speedy RW like 88. Could try it, I think Lucic and Bergeron were made to play together especially with a gifted RW.

My thoughts, is simple as, don't put Lucic and Smith together with either PB or DK on the same line.

Can be wrong, time will tell if they go with what your asking for. I am simply not sold to that idea.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
The lines from last night i liked! And would like to see them the same as well!! Try seperatng Bergeron and Marchand for a period to see what works best ! I like the thought of having kreci between smith and Marchand ! Much more talent for Krejci to play with! Bergeron plays a north south game which is what lucic needs to play ! Krejci plays an east west game and leaves lucic looking lost ! Keep the third line together

Just to be sure. Did DK start to play east-west this year?
If not, how did Lucic stayed all that time his left winger on a President Cup champion, Stanley cup finalist and a Stanley Cup champion?

Lucic is a very good LW who is having a hard season. Hope the Bruins will keep a better opinion of Lucic than most here on this board.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Please for the love of God keep Lucic off of David Krejcis wing.

Leave the lines from last game. If Lucic and Begeron are back, pair them with Griffith to complete the final line.

--
Why for the love of God. Go back to previous season and it was a good combination.

Lucic is having a tough season, but face it as DK right now! I still believe DK is playing hurt, was rush because the Bruins were struggling. If you can say that you see the same DK right now as his best moments, well I have to say we don't look the game the same way.

As for Lucic, put him on the Hawks team or LA or St-Louis team, and people would ask Chiarelli to get a winger of that caliber.

He might be broken, but I say he can be repaired. Patience, is my thoughts.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Breaking up Marchand-Bergeron is insanity.

--
Why for the love of God. Go back to previous season and it was a good combination.

Lucic is having a tough season, but face it as DK right now! I still believe DK is playing hurt, was rush because the Bruins were struggling. If you can say that you see the same DK right now as his best moments, well I have to say we don't look the game the same way.

As for Lucic, put him on the Hawks team or LA or St-Louis team, and people would ask Chiarelli to get a winger of that caliber.

He might be broken, but I say he can be repaired. Patience, is my thoughts.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That is Claude Julien's lines and Lucic's failure for this entire year thus far. And doing what worked in the past is why this team has failed all year. It's time to split Bergy/Marchand and Lucic/Krejci up.

Last game was the first ray of hope we have had in months. The lines played amazing and we WON convincingly and gave a full 60 minute effort.

You fools who want to go back to Lucic with Krejci and give them MORE time, you are the insane ones.

Tomorrow's line up at forward SHOULD look like this if everyone was healthy and CJ was smart.

Marchand - Krejci - Smith (Let the fast and creative wingers continue to play with Krejci. Their speed and hands score goals. That's what David needs)
Eriksson - Soderberg - Kelly (BEST line all year and great chemistry)
Lucic - Bergeron - Griffith (Insert Lucic in a more checking line roll and play with guys more his speed)
Paille - Campbell - Caron (Actually had great puck control and cycle last game)

*** Players need to be held accountable. At this point Lucic does NOT deserve any more time on the 1st line or Krejci's wing. Maybe if he can find his game on the 3rd line and start playing like the player he use to be we can give him another chance. Reward performance and hold these guys accountable.

Last edited:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That is Claude Julien's lines and Lucic's failure for this entire year thus far. And doing what worked in the past is why this team has failed all year. It's time to split Bergy/Marchand and Lucic/Krejci up.

Last game was the first ray of hope we have had in months. The lines played amazing and we WON convincingly and gave a full 60 minute effort.

You fools who want to go back to Lucic with Krejci and give them MORE time, you are the insane ones.

Tomorrow's line up at forward SHOULD look like this if everyone was healthy and CJ was smart.

Marchand - Krejci - Smith (Let the fast and creative wingers continue to play with Krejci. Their speed and hands score goals. That's what David needs)
Lucic - Bergeron - Griffith (Insert Lucic in a more checking line roll and play with guys more his speed)

-----------------
LOL Cid.... don't do a heart attack.

Smith scored from a hard shot from the blue line and DK got his assist on ..... Griffith's PP goal. Funny isn't it. Detroit scored one against that line also. They (DK line) played well but not more. What was impressive was all four line played which rarely happend this year. You can also ship PB and Lucic elsewhere, Bruins might also be better, then you won't change last games lines!

Big difference in Detroit game: Soderberg line was a beast, not DK's one. If DK is that good offensively, why is he not making his wingers better? Why isn't it Lucic brought down by DK? In the past both together played successfully. My answer is he's (DK) not ready and still ain't 100% healthy!

Respectfully I disagree with your vision. I trust mine more than yours.;)

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
-----------------
LOL Cid.... don't do a heart attack.

Smith scored from a hard shot from the blue line and DK got his assist on ..... Griffith's PP goal. Funny isn't it. Detroit scored one against that line also. They (DK line) played well but not more. What was impressive was all four line played which rarely happend this year. You can also ship PB and Lucic elsewhere, Bruins might also be better, then you won't change last games lines!

Big difference in Detroit game: Soderberg line was a beast, not DK's one. If DK is that good offensively, why is he not making his wingers better? Why isn't it Lucic brought down by DK? In the past both together played successfully. My answer is he's (DK) not ready and still ain't 100% healthy!

Respectfully I disagree with your vision. I trust mine more than yours.;)

Your argument is terrible. It makes no sense. So not only do we have to pay Lucic 6 million to be a top line player, he also HAS to have a healthy #1 center-man in David Krejci to make him better? If that's not enough we need to trade top a top line RW in order to make Milan Lucic capable of producing on the 1st line? Dude, get real. Lucic has sucked all season with or without David Krejci. It should not be DK's responsibility or anyone else's to make Milan Lucic play to his contract.

Lucic has had the worst season of his career. We can count the number of games in which he actually skated and was a difference maker on one hand. He has done nothing to earn a spot of the 1st line. If anything the last game he looked good, he was on a 3rd line with Campbell and Kelly.

Part of coaching is putting players in a position to succeed. Not only has Milan Lucic been a failure majority of the year, so has Claude Julien for not utilizing him in the right roles or holding him accountable for his abysmal play. He isn't skating. He isn't scoring. He is currently an anchor on that top line. Keeping him there will only slow David Krejci down. By putting him on a 3rd line does not hurt anyone. Bergeron hasn't been himself either. Maybe they can find their game together. Plus he (Lucic) has played with Griffith a good chunk of the season. Sounds like a good 3rd line to me, one with a lot less pressure on them. Also they will play against other teams 3rd and 4th lines (much slower and skilled lines) giving Milan an easier time keeping up with the play. Sounds perfect for him. Less pressure and better match ups.

The last game against Detroit all top 3 lines played great and looked great. It doesn't matter that the top line didn't have any ES points. They skated, they hustled and they created opportunities. That is something we haven't seen from Lucic on the top line in months. I am pretty sure everyone saw this. I'm sure there are several people with man crushes on Lucic like yourself but seriously he has played himself off the top line and hopefully after last game, Claude Julien will finally see this and start actually coaching this damn team to win or at least be in a better position to succeed.

Pulse check. 72 bpm. I think I'm okay.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

*** Players need to be held accountable. At this point Lucic does NOT deserve any more time on the 1st line or Krejci's wing. Maybe if he can find his game on the 3rd line and start playing like the player he use to be we can give him another chance. Reward performance and hold these guys accountable.

I like those lines,maybe not long term but at least for now. The combinations we are used to(Marchand-Bergeron,Krejci-Lucic) have gone stale.After the Montreal series I know I never wanted to see Krejci and Lucic together again.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

It is amazing what some tinkering with the lines can do.Those are 4 good lines and if we use those two second round picks at the deadline to get a solid forward ,this team can make some noise.Placing Lucic on the 3rd line takes the pressure off him to score and he can concentrate on being physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad