Line Combos: Lines For Next Season?

May 27, 2012
Earth
What do you think the line combinations are going to look like next season?

To me, I think these are the lines

Tangauy - Cammalleri - Glencross

Baerstchi - Stajan - Stempniak

Horak - Backlund - Hudler

Jackman / Reinhart - Begin - Mcgrattan

Giordano - Brodie

Wideman - Butler

Babchuck - Cundari

Kipper/ Macdonald

OR

Ramo / Macdonald

Also depends on F/A signings and Kipper saga

What do you guy think?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think we need to wait until at least mid/late-July to have any kind of idea.

Trae

Calgary
Assuming no changes..

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Glencross
Stempniak - Stajan - Horak/Byron
Reinhart/Aliu/Bouma - Begin/Jones - McGrattan/Jackman

Brodie - Wideman
Giordano - Butler
Smith - Cundari

Ramo
MacDonald
Berra

Fully expect a completely different roster though.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Assuming no changes..

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Glencross
Stempniak - Stajan - Horak/Byron
Reinhart/Aliu/Bouma - Begin/Jones - McGrattan/Jackman

Brodie - Wideman
Giordano - Butler
Smith - Cundari

Ramo
MacDonald
Berra

Fully expect a completely different roster though.
We should hopefully try to upgrade on the right wing. I don't know if glencross plays on the right side often does he?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
It's depressing seeing how small our team is. Hopefully some size can be added to the lineup (and not size for the sake of size, if that makes sense.)

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
A lot can happen at the draft and free agency so this is rather pointless now.

I do expect Cammi to anchor the top line and Sven+Backlund getting good 2nd line minutes throughout the season. Glencross/Tanguay/Hudler/Stajan/Stempniak/whoever will be shuffled around the top 9 and they'll all get a shot at being #1C of course.

On D I hope to see Wotherspoon make the team out of camp.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Keep Glencross/Stajan/Stempniak together, they would make things happen just about every shift.

Go into camp with no more than 18 one way deals. The Flames standard 23-25 one way deals in an excellent way to say to the Abbotsford guys "hey, you don't have the slightest chance".

Send the 6th pick back to junior no matter what.

Cut Smith, Jackman maybe even a few more regulars.

Get a real goalie.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Keep Glencross/Stajan/Stempniak together, they would make things happen just about every shift.

Go into camp with no more than 18 one way deals. The Flames standard 23-25 one way deals in an excellent way to say to the Abbotsford guys "hey, you don't have the slightest chance".

Send the 6th pick back to junior no matter what.

Cut Smith, Jackman maybe even a few more regulars.

Get a real goalie.

These type of posts really irk me. Ramo hasn't even played an NHL game, yet people are already writing him off.

Gary83*

I started typing out a lineup, then I got annoyed trying to figure out where to put Tanguay. I really hope he gets traded.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I started typing out a lineup, then I got annoyed trying to figure out where to put Tanguay. I really hope he gets traded.
He did not impress me at the end of the season. I used to have a good impression of him but right now I feel that it may be in our best interest rid ourselves of his presence to improve the team atmosphere for new/young players. I like Cammy much better.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Tanguay - Backlund - Cammalleri
Baertschi - Lindholm/Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Bouma - Reinhart - Jackman/McGrattan/Young Guy

Giordano - Butler
Wideman - Brodie
Cundari - Sarich/Smith

Goal:
Cluster****

First line, Squid is bad at the centre position. He's a better winger. Top line plays small and is small.

That 2nd line is essentially the youth movement & Hudler. It's not good. would prefer someone else play centre and let the Flames pick dominate in their league.

The 3rd line was the Flames' best line last season.

4th line brings size and energy, with the ability to insert mean into the lineup when needed. Aliu was highly disappointing in his last callup and may not return.

On defense, I'd like another bottom four guy or two so neither Sarich or Smith end up as regulars. Cundari, if he can maintain his play, fits in there nicely. Still need one more, but there isn't one in the organization. Wotherspoon or Ramage maybe?

In goal... It's a ****ing soap opera. Does Kipper retire? Does Ramo escape the KHL? Is Berra good enough? Is Ramo? These are the Goalies of our Flames.

Next season is gonna suck. :(

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
That was four-five years ago. Does not count. Ramo was also younger then and wasn't experienced enough at that time.
Well he has no more NHL experience now than what he had then. Undoubtedly he is a better goalie now but he is a question mark, as is Berra. So it's understandable for fans to be a little antsy when the two guys supposed to fill Kipper's skates are coming straight out of European leagues. It can work, sure, but it is a gamble. With Kipper we always knew what we got (well, prior to this season anyway) and now all we know for sure is that Joey MacDonald will be an alright backup.

Personally I do believe in those two guys and think Feaster did well in acquiring them, as opposed to "hitting a homerun" for someone like Ryan Miller.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
His numbers weren't great but I remember ramo playing for Tampa and always liked him. I am excited to see him play for the flames next season

Trae

Calgary
I like how we have always had a reliable starter and never a good backup and now we have a more than capable backup, maybe even two, but our starter position is up in the air. Quite a change from a year ago.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I like how we have always had a reliable starter and never a good backup and now we have a more than capable backup, maybe even two, but our starter position is up in the air. Quite a change from a year ago.

It's true.

And just watch, we will draft Lindholm and he will develop into a solid #1C... but not Iggy.

Owell. :laugh:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's true.

And just watch, we will draft Lindholm and he will develop into a solid #1C... but not Iggy.

Owell. :laugh:

And then the team will spend the next 15 years looking for that elusive, top line right wing sniper but will always, somehow, come up empty handed.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Giordano - Butler
Wideman - Brodie
Cundari - Sarich/Smith

Goal:
Cluster****

First line, Squid is bad at the centre position. He's a better winger. Top line plays small and is small.

That 2nd line is essentially the youth movement & Hudler. It's not good. would prefer someone else play centre and let the Flames pick dominate in their league.

4th line brings size and energy, with the ability to insert mean into the lineup when needed. Aliu was highly disappointing in his last callup and may not return.

On defense, I'd like another bottom four guy or two so neither Sarich or Smith end up as regulars. Cundari, if he can maintain his play, fits in there nicely. Still need one more, but there isn't one in the organization. Wotherspoon or Ramage maybe?

In goal... It's a ****ing soap opera. Does Kipper retire? Does Ramo escape the KHL? Is Berra good enough? Is Ramo? These are the Goalies of our Flames.

:laugh:

I really like your lineup with the exception of Butler being on the top-pairing. We don't have a lot of options though unfortunately.

Business of Sport

FranchiseCornerstone
Aug 7, 2010
Montreal

Giordano - Butler
Wideman - Brodie
Cundari - Sarich/Smith

Goal:
Cluster****

:handclap:

Barring any unforeseen luck in the FA pool, or minor miracles via trade..I would agree that this is pretty much what we're dealing with for a lineup.

Trae

Calgary
:laugh:

I really like your lineup with the exception of Butler being on the top-pairing. We don't have a lot of options though unfortunately.

You could consider Brodie/Wideman to be the top pair, that's what I did and it makes me feel a little bit better, haha. :nod:

:cry:

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Glencross / Stajan / Stempniak
Cammalleri / Backlund / Hudler
Baertschi / Horak / ???
??? / Bouma / McGrattan

Wideman / Brodie
Giordano / Sarich
Cundari / Breen

MacDonald
Rammo or Berra

-Tanguay and Butler get traded for futures
-Jackman and Smith cut
- ??? are jobs up for grabs in training camp, NOT free agent signings
- with a 23 man roster that would mean at least 5 open jobs for guys like Hanowski, Reinhart, Street, etc to fight for
- 2nd line looks way to soft and small, but really so do the 1st and 3rd
- send the 6th pick back to junior no matter what
- the only way this team has a hope of competing is to get a world class goalie, lets hope Rammo is the guy but I am very skeptical
- these next few seasons will show us who the real Flames fans are

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This lineup will have to get turned around quite a bit.
This is easily bottom 4 in the NHL up and down, and considering every position. Debatable bottom two or even the worst.

I'm truly hoping for true Hockey moves to be made over the summer. One of Tanguay or Cammy has to be shipped along with maybe one of the mid tier kids (Horak, Reinhart, etc outside Sven + this years firsts + Gaudreau) for a major piece on defense. Someone who is a good shot away from being a top four D-man.

The offensive units we will put forward aren't much better. And there needs to be a major RW addition to this team, in the form of either Clarkson or Horton (I'd want Horton, significantly more). Overall, the team looks like it will be contending for a bottom 10 position next year.

I'm hoping Feaster has something planned trade wise to get a major piece into Calgary as a big portion of a rebuild. Honestly, if Berra plays in the NHL next year, and actually proves that he's a high caliber goalie, the Bouwmeester trade will have made him look like a genius.

As of right now, my Flames lineup, no first line. Mostly just like 2a, 2b, 2c. No stars for a first line.

Cammy/Tanguay - Backlund - Hudler (Closest to an actual offensive line)
Sven - 6TH Overall (Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan) - FA pickup (Clarkson or Horton, you have to figure that the role is known here for either player, space and physicality).
Glencross - Stajan - Stemp (Shutdown line, play against top units)
Bouma - Bégin - Big Ern/Kid (depending on team, and yes, I would like Bégin back, he's a warrior).

Brodie - Tanguay/Cammy Trade
Giordano - Wideman
Cundari - FA (Bigger, tougher guy) could also be a drafted D-man spot. I believe the likes of Butler, Smith, Carson, etc, have run their course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad