Linemates for McDavid

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
He needs big guys down low and finishers on his line, not puck carriers. Guys like Lucic, Maroon, and Pouliot are good fits with him. Puljujarvi should be good as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pulju eventually will be McDavids RWer in time. Those two are going to tear the NHL apart.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Also it is untrue that finding wingers to play with McDavid is difficult. The only guy he didn't have great chemistry with last year was Hall. Maroon, Eberle, and Yak were all great with McDavid.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Both of their weaknesses is finishing. McDavid needs someone who can finish on his wings.

One tournament where he didn't have the best puck luck. He dominated in every game, creating chance after chance. Easily could have had many more points.

I think it was obvious watching that he's an absolute force and is going to tear the NHL apart when he hits his peak.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Both of their weaknesses is finishing. McDavid needs someone who can finish on his wings.

Jesse doesn't have a weakness in finishing, his shot is great and it's well documented. Laine's is just better.

Also, I agree McDavid can still work on his shot but as is he is a 30 goal scorer. I am hoping he can do what Crosby did and make himself an elite shooter down the line in his career.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Also, I agree McDavid can still work on his shot but as is he is a 30 goal scorer. I am hoping he can do what Crosby did and make himself an elite shooter down the line in his career.

His shot isn't even bad. He just doesn't use it enough. He's too smart a player not to eventually figure out that he's going to be better suited shooting more than he does now.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the reason Hall and McDavid didn't work IMO is because both like to carry the puck in the neutral zone

Lucic play a simple and effective game and should create space for him when cycling in the offensive zone and Eberle it the best finisher on the team

heck, if Lucic somehow doesn't work out, I like Pouliot's game with McDavid

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov is what I like the best. Could put Eberle in the RW spot but RNH+Yakupov don't mesh and Draisaitl+Yakupov won't be good enough defensively.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pulju eventually will be McDavids RWer in time. Those two are going to tear the NHL apart.

Would be fun to watch. But might want to "spread the love" across the other lines.

Both are "playdriver" type players. They both carry the puck in with speed. Might be a waste to put them both on the same line. Only one puck.

Give McDavid a "floater" type player: someone with a good release to who can remain invisible, drifting in and out of scoring areas until McDavid can set him up.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Would be fun to watch. But might want to "spread the love" across the other lines.

Both are "playdriver" type players. They both carry the puck in with speed. Might be a waste to put them both on the same line. Only one puck.

Give McDavid a "floater" type player: someone with a good release to who can remain invisible, drifting in and out of scoring areas until McDavid can set him up.

If Pulju is playing in the NHL this year, he'll likely be on the 3rd line with Drai. Not many bottom 6s will be able to matchup with them.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Why is Lucic considered a "not smart" player?

I think mostly because of his face. Chiarelli actually emphasized a lot about how smart Lucic is. Talked about how he's a real student of the game, reviews a lot of footage after games and of his opponents.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
the reason Hall and McDavid didn't work IMO is because both like to carry the puck in the neutral zone

Lucic play a simple and effective game and should create space for him when cycling in the offensive zone and Eberle it the best finisher on the team

heck, if Lucic somehow doesn't work out, I like Pouliot's game with McDavid

The Oilers are in a pretty good spot with McDavid and linemates.

If Lucic doesn't work out they have Pouliot, who was fantastic with McDavid. Or they have Maroon, who was fantastic with McDavid. On the right, if for some reason Eberle (who was fantastic with McDavid) doesn't work out, they have Yakupov who was fantastic with McDavid. If neither of them work out, they've also got Versteeg and Puljujarvi to try out. And if neither of them work out they've got Draisaitl who has experience playing right wing they could try.

There is no shortage of combinations of players of various type/skill to try with not only McDavid but with any of their top 3 centermen (McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl).

Chiarelli just needs to find a d-men to get them the puck on a consistent basis.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

Pulju likes to share the puck and spread the offence. He doesn't play a puck hog game at all. He likes to support the D down low and be the first guy on the puck to start the transition.

I envision him and McDavid matching up perfectly. Connor will carry the puck through the neural zone while Pulju streaks towards the net alongside him. Pulju doesn't need to hold onto the puck to thrive on the ice. His game off the puck is just as good if not better. He provides constant puck support and demands possession when the ice opens up for him on the rush. He won't have to do the heavy lifting, that will be Connor's role. He will just need to keep up with McDavid and be prepared to receive passes as they skate down the ice.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
McDavid and Eberle go together like peas and carrots so I don't expect that to change. Eberle has always been an opportunistic player who plays the game by putting himself in positions to score and having the hands to do it. With a player like McDavid who reads the ice well it's a natural fit. (also notable that Eberle worked really well with Crosby when they were both at the worlds too) Then you throw a guy like Lucic out there to be the muscle and create some space and win some battles and it should work, worked with Maroon who isn't half the player Lucic is, or Pouliot who can be a serviceable guy in that kind of situation. There's lots of options for McDavid to play with, skilled options too cause he and Yakupov were good together too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad