Speculation: Line-ups based on the players we HAVE NOW.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I know we leave a lot to be desired in terms of who to plug where. Esp with Vinny here and the abundance of posters that want him gone. A thread dedicated to capgeek rosters, etc.

It could very well be that we go forward with what we have now, so....

How would you like to see the lines constructed this season based on the players we have in our system/team?

There are many possibilties we can go with, what ones do you like from your 'fresh perspective' ?

Schenn/Umberger - G - Voracek

Umberger/Read - Coots - Read/Akeson/Simmonds

Raffl - Schenn/Vinny- Umberger

Rinaldo - Jones/Laughton/Vinny/VV - PEB/Stortini

Coburn - MacD
Schenn - Striet
Grossmann - Kimmo
Schultz

Mason
Hips

Last edited:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I know we leave a lot to be desired in terms of who to plug where. Esp with Vinny here and the abundance of posters that want him gone. A thread dedicated to capgeek.

How would you like to see the lines constructed this season based on the players we have in our system/team?

There are many possibilties we can go with, what ones do you like from your 'fresh perspective' ?

Schenn/Umberger - G - Voracek

Umberger/Read - Coots - Read/Akeson/Simmonds

Raffl - Schenn/Vinny- Umberger

Rinaldo - Jones/Laughton/Vinny/VV - PEB/Stortini

Coburn - MacD
Schenn - Striet
Grossmann - Kimmo

Mason

Forgive my ignorance, but Jones?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_Jones

blair_jones_calgary.jpg

"Sup?"

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL

Yes, based on players we have, camp isn't over, nor started - I know he isn't a 'NHL' talent but who knows, he is in the org and will be given a chance to make his case. Like many on my list. I based it off those that will be given that chance and who could possibly make the team.

I am in no way saying he 'belongs' there, but could see him there (like anyone on the list - based on what they show) .... :)

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Umberger - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Read
Bellemare - Laughton - Rinaldo
Rosehill

Streit - Coburn
MacDonald - Schenn
Timonen - Grossman
Schultz

Mason
Emery

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Yes, based on players we have, camp isn't over, nor started - I know he isn't a 'NHL' talent but who knows, he is in the org and will be given a chance to make his case. Like many on my list. I based it off those that will be given that chance and who could possibly make the team.

I am in no way saying he 'belongs' there, but could see him there (like anyone on the list - based on what they show) .... :)

Oh, no, I honestly didn't know who you meant lol. I forgot the Flyers signed Blair Jones.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Read- Couturier - Simmonds
Umberger - Lecavelier - Raffl
Bellemare - Laughton - Akeson

Coburn - Streit
Schenn - MacDonald
Grossmann - Timonen

Mason
Emery

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
Schenn-G-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Vinny-Raffl
Bellemare-Laughton-Rinaldo

Streit-Coburn
Macdonald-Schenn
Timonen-Grossman

Mason
Emery

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So critical....

I'm sure you gather my point tho, right... of the possible parings.... :help:

:p:

It just makes it confusing to look at.

Luke Schenn will always play the right side. Coburn and Streit played the right side last year. This needs to be kept in mind when making D pairings. Grossmann is bad enough at handling the puck on the left, so no one should pencil him to play the right side of a pairing.

Schenn-G-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Vinny-Raffl

Kimmo-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacDonald-Schenn

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL

Luke Schenn will always play the right side. Coburn and Streit played the right side last year. This needs to be kept in mind when making D pairings. Grossmann is bad enough at handling the puck on the left, so no one should pencil him to play the right side of a pairing.

sorry:cry:

:booboo:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Umberger-Vinny-Akeson
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl
Rinaldo

Timonen-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacD-Schenn
Hagg
Schultz

Mason
Emery

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m) --- Give it a true shot for once
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m) --- Three next best forwards together
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Jason Akeson ($0.575m) --- Two new players for Vinny not to have chemistry with
XXXXXXXX / Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) --- Let us see who earn the spot
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /

D pairings as they ended last season

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I don't know. I think we're much too stuck in the mud with handedness and which side.

Playing your off-side on D comes with advantages. You cite Grossmann's inability to handle the puck as a reason why he wouldn't work on the right, but what about defending zone entries? Being a lefty playing the right side makes it MUCH tougher to enter the zone cleanly on the wing. For a big guy like Grossmann, I actually think playing the right side would improve his shut down capabilities.

As a forward (I was a LW), I always hated coming down the wall on a left-handed defender. It made it much more difficult for me to keep the puck away from his stick. It was MUCH easier for me to gain the net on a righty since I could drop a shoulder and protect it while I drove the net.

Coburn is our best defender at defending zone entries, and I strongly believe this is a reason why.

Schenn-G-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Vinny-Raffl

Kimmo-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacDonald-Schenn
This is exactly what I'd have. I'd sooner have Akeson in Rinaldo's place even if he's not suited for that role. He'd still do better than Zac. But overall, I think this is the best construction given our current parts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This is exactly what I'd have. I'd sooner have Akeson in Rinaldo's place even if he's not suited for that role. He'd still do better than Zac. But overall, I think this is the best construction given our current parts.

I actually forgot about Akeson and would play him over Rinaldo, too.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Schenn-G-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Vinny-Raffl

Kimmo-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacDonald-Schenn

We all like Read-Couturier but the Flyers need to find a way to maximize Vinny's production and prevent Rinaldo from getting regular minutes.

Akeson (if he can play LW)- Couturier - Simmonds
Umberger - Vinny - Read
Bellemare - Laughton - Raffl

That second line scares me a bit because I'm not convinced that either Akeson or Simmonds are top six players. However, Read makes that third line look pretty solid. Those are four lines with good potential to control possession.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Umberger-Vinny-Akeson
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl
Rinaldo

Timonen-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacD-Schenn
Hagg
Schultz

Mason
Emery

This is another possibility, but if Voracek is on Couturier's wing, then that second line doesn't need Read.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Akeson-Couturier-Voracek
Umberger-Vinny-Read
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl

That's more balanced.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
As previously posted:

Simmonds – Giroux – Schenn
Akeson – Lecavalier – Voracek