Line-up idea: Pleks as a LW

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Pleks is probably one of the top-10 two-way centres in the league and a big reason for the Habs success I don't think we should mess with that.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Glad you have a differing opinion.

GTFO of my thread if you want to tell me what to think.

I was reading through the thread and stopped at this. I should have stopped earlier or not even opened it.

That being said this isn't about telling you what to think. It's about telling you that this would be a horrible idea. Pleks is universally regarded as one of the best 2 way centers in the game. We get it, you really think Galchenyuk should play center. We all agree. It won't happen at Pleks expense. If Galchenyuk proves he deserves to be a #1 center and Eller proves he's ready for shutdown center role, then we have a wonderful problem. I haven't seen evidence of any of that. Eller had a good playoffs, but benefitted from seeing weaker matchups because teams were keying (and succeeding) on Patches line.

As for GTFO of your thread... like I said I haven't read any further than the post quoted. I hope you were justly chastised. As a rookie member, you may not recall that those 4 letters in that combination were banned. It's not your thread, it belongs to the forum. If you don't want honest differing opinions. Don't post.

Go Habs Go

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Plekanec is one of the League's best two-way centres, it would be very unwise to move him to the wing at this point...Eller is a good #2/#3 C tweener that can pick up his Offensive game in short spurts to be a #2C and is good enough defensively to be a really good #3C; not to mention he's completely lost on the wing...Galchenyuk needs to be given his natural position soon if we ever want him to blossom into the #1C we've been waiting for for YEARS...soooo...guess who that leaves...;)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
He was drafted as a winger. Switching him to the wing in exchange for Chuckie could even improve our depth on LW. We'd potentially miss his ability as a shut-down center and his faceoff ability; except we have Eller, who arguably plays a better defensive role than offensive one, and both DD and Eller have gotten better at faceoffs. Then we also have Manny to pick up the slack where Pleks is missing. So in my mind, we really aren't losing anything by switching him to the wing; he's too smart a player to fail.

Potential Lines:

Patches - Chuckie - Gally
Pleks - Eller - Sekac
Bourque- DD - PAP
Prust - Manny - Weise

What are your thoughts?

Why?

:shakehead

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I'll add that to the list. I've learned that DD bashing is inevitable, and there's point in trying to stop it. Maybe a better way of putting it is: HF forum posters follow simple human logic.

"DD did bad, DD is on team, me hate DD."

"But lets talk about the future, you know, three years from now when he's likely not on the team"

"You don't think MB will sign him to another extension to you?"

For me it's more like this:

We have a league top-5 starting goalie
A top-5 1st pairing defenceman
A top-50 #1 Centre

So posts that suggest moving Plekanec, an elite 2-way centre, or trading Eller, a big centre who was our leading scorer in the playoffs, or slotting the supremely talented young centre Galchenyuk on the wing -- those posts naturally beg the question of why we should do any of those things just to protect a feckless midget?

We're not Desharnais-bashers, we're Habs-firsters ! :yo:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Seriously, not trying to make this ANOTHER DD thread but sometimes it does feel like some fans try everything to keep/justify DD as our top center.

Galchenyuk shouldn't play center, he never did with us so far.
Move Plekanec, our most complete center to the wing.
Eller to the wing, or stay as bottom 6 because he's not good enough at center, despite outproducing DD, this playoffs and the season before this one.
Pacioretty can't be effective without DD despite showing he can even with Scott Gomez.

I'm not saying those are the general consensus on this board but they are all the stuff he can read here by those who refuses to take DD away from the primary line or away from Pacioretty.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
So posts that suggest moving Plekanec, an elite 2-way centre, or trading Eller, a big centre who was our leading scorer in the playoffs, or slotting the supremely talented young centre Galchenyuk on the wing -- those posts naturally beg the question of why we should do any of those things just to protect a feckless midget?

please stop with the elite 2-way centre, my god.... Plek is not elite, he's good defensively and that's it. He's not offensive, he's not at all physical, he's average on the face-off, always close to 50%, a bit over 50% in the regular season and a bit under 50% in the playoff.

He's far from elite, he's a good defensive responsible player in the regular season, this is what Plekanec is.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
please stop with the elite 2-way centre, my god.... Plek is not elite, he's good defensively and that's it. He's not offensive, he's not at all physical, he's average on the face-off, always close to 50%, a bit over 50% in the regular season and a bit under 50% in the playoff.

He's far from elite, he's a good defensive responsible player in the regular season, this is what Plekanec is.

...huh??... :help:

Regular Season - 0.65 career ppg

Playoffs - 0.61 career ppg

...all while playing the toughest minutes on the team...not offensive, eh??...your post = EPIC FAIL...:shakehead

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
He was drafted as a winger. Switching him to the wing in exchange for Chuckie could even improve our depth on LW. We'd potentially miss his ability as a shut-down center and his faceoff ability; except we have Eller, who arguably plays a better defensive role than offensive one, and both DD and Eller have gotten better at faceoffs. Then we also have Manny to pick up the slack where Pleks is missing. So in my mind, we really aren't losing anything by switching him to the wing; he's too smart a player to fail.

Potential Lines:

Patches - Chuckie - Gally
Pleks - Eller - Sekac
Bourque- DD - PAP
Prust - Manny - Weise

What are your thoughts?

I think its actually worth a shot.

Don't know if it would last long but I'd try it.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Plekanec is a good defensive responsible player in the regular season, I'll take him anytime to play center on a 3rd line for about 14 minutes a game. When it comes to playoffs, you just reduce his time to 12 minutes a game.

And don't put him on the wing, to be on the wing you either have to be a scorer or a player that's not afraid to go in the corners or in front of the net. Plekanec doesn't score and he's afraid of his own shadow.

Solution for Plekanec: if he doesn't provide enough offense and he's not physical, put him center on the 3rd line or trade him.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Hey if it can work for Byfuglien or Burns why cant the most versatile center on the team play wing? Some guys here are acting like its the worst idea of all time!!

Its not like he proposed to flip Desharnais for a 7th round pick, play Gorges as a forward (it happened) , play Pleks on the point on the PP, sign Briere knowing theres no fit on this team, trade Price instead of Halak, trade Price for Lecavalier, trade for Gomez, get more francos on the team only because they are francos, propose trades like Bourque and Weaver to land Bogosian and E. Kane, and many more.

Reality or fiction, there is worst than thinking about moving your best center (one who was drafted and who has the most experience as a winger, if Im correct) to the wing, so that you can attest your other centers defensive abilities, spread the defensive workload evenly, and get the most out of the majority of your forwards offensively, still have a ready to go center in case of injury, which is not the case if we proceeded to a trade, groom a young potential 1st line Center. If the youngsters cannot handle the assignments well it lets you know who can be let go and who is essential to the team's success.

You should at least acknowledge that it could be a potentially rewarding move.

And to the one who asked if Price could move to center, well can he fight?

Oh well.

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Hey if it can work for Byfuglien or Burns why cant the most versatile center on the team cannot play wing? Some guys here are acting like its the worst idea of all time!!

Its not like he proposed to flip Desharnais for a 7th round pick, play Gorges as a forward (it happened) , trade Price instead of Halak, sign Lecavalier, get more francos on the team only because they are francos, propose trades like Bourque and Weaver to land Bogosian and E. Kane, and many more. Most of the people in this thread cant even refute the basis of the points we've made, or just acknowledge that it could be a potentially rewarding move.

Oh well.

Two complete differents things.

Plekanec is our most complete center. We NEED him as a center. The reason why it would be a bad idea is because it would not make our team better so why do it? Although we have depth at center, losing Plek as a center would hurt the most.

Plekanec's style of play fits center the most so why the **** you would want to use him on the wings?

This is not NHL14 where you create team for fun and put all centers on a same line. And each positions have differents responsibilities, the centerman is usualy the one that have to cover both sides of the ice, which Plekanec excels in. Why would you put Plekanec out of the centerline, take away our best overall center and then puts him as a winger where he doesn't fit and never played in the NHL. Why would you think that would make our team better?

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Two complete differents things.

Plekanec is our most complete center. We NEED him as a center. The reason why it would be a bad idea is because it would not make our team better so why do it? Although we have depth at center, losing Plek as a center would hurt the most.

Plekanec's style of play fits center the most so why the **** you would want to use him on the wings?

This is not NHL14 where you create team for fun and put all centers on a same line. And each positions have differents responsibilities, the centerman is usualy the one that have to cover both sides of the ice, which Plekanec excels in. Why would you put Plekanec out of the centerline, take away our best overall center and then puts him as a winger where he doesn't fit and never played in the NHL. Why would you think that would make our team better?

It could make our team better. If Desharnais could take more defensive assigments, thats only a plus for the team. At the same time Pacioretty, could get used to tougher opposition. Its worth a shot, at least.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal

I know you're right but the part in bold is very depressing to read.. if Plek is our most complete center, we're far from being a contender.

Look at the top 2 centers from recent Cup winners:

Crosby
Malkin

Krejci
Bergeron

Toews
Sharp

Kopitar
Carter

we're not going to see the Cup back anytime soon...

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014
I was reading through the thread and stopped at this. I should have stopped earlier or not even opened it.

That being said this isn't about telling you what to think. It's about telling you that this would be a horrible idea. Pleks is universally regarded as one of the best 2 way centers in the game. We get it, you really think Galchenyuk should play center. We all agree. It won't happen at Pleks expense. If Galchenyuk proves he deserves to be a #1 center and Eller proves he's ready for shutdown center role, then we have a wonderful problem. I haven't seen evidence of any of that. Eller had a good playoffs, but benefitted from seeing weaker matchups because teams were keying (and succeeding) on Patches line.

As for GTFO of your thread... like I said I haven't read any further than the post quoted. I hope you were justly chastised. As a rookie member, you may not recall that those 4 letters in that combination were banned. It's not your thread, it belongs to the forum. If you don't want honest differing opinions. Don't post.

Go Habs Go

Here's an idea: play our best two-way centre in his fn. position.

Here's another idea: never think about doing that again.

I respect the first part of what he said. I made this thread because I wanted peoples opinions on the matter. Obviously I expected to see opposing opinions, even people who were disgusted by the idea. They have every right to post their opinion on the subject. Telling me never to think about something again, on the other hand, is not something one should share in an opinion based form. We are all entitled to own opinions and thoughts. The same way I respect the fact you decided to back up your opinion with more than: "you're stupid".

As you rightly stated; being a rookie member, I didn't know that combination of letters has been banned. I'll be sure not to use it again. I just hope other people have the common decency to share their opinions and not insult other people for theirs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad