Line Combos: Line Predictions for 17/18

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs are fortunate to have three game breaking talents up front. Teams often spread the wealth and that means leaving Marner on a line with two inferior players for matchup purposes.

Marner was fine with Bozak and JVR.

As a fan I'd like to see the team get better, fine isn't enough and we should never be happy with "inferior" anything.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
1. The great 'hype' player. Last year it was Soshnikov. This year Leivo. Guarantee you'll see him put into line-ups like he was the second coming of Doug Gilmour.

2. No thought given to defensive assignments on each line. The idea of putting three 'exciting' players together isn't going to happen unless there is a margin of very good simple plays that line can make to. The idea they will dump it into Nylander's corner for him to dig it out isn't going to happen.

3. Who wants the puck? Kadri wants the puck. And he might just beat two defense-men on his attack. But that will always reduce the quality of wingers he'll have because of it. Bozak is more then happy to play the puck, you'll see him with a goal scorers because of it.

4. Babcock basically came out and said teams are not taking liberates with the Leafs because of Matt Martin. Stated this had an impact on how few injuries they suffered. And said he provided great leadership as well. Whether you like that type of player or not, Babcock seems to like him. The idea he's off to Vegas instead of a fringe AHLer, I doubt is going to happen.

5. Team needs/balance. If Grundström is a really good talent, but some what soft. (I don't know btw.) Does he really go on a line with Matthews and Nylander? If he makes the line-up, could that possibly knock another 'softer' player for someone a bit more hard nosed?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd like to see (based on current personnel)

Hyman -- Matthews -- Marner
Komarov -- Kadri -- Brown
JVR --- Nylander (relocated) -- Kapanen
Martin --- Boyle (resigned) -- Soshnikov

With Bozak dealt to relocate Willie to the middle & Boyle re-signed.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Jvr and Bozak are inferior players to Marner, but they are far from bad players themselves. marner could do a lot worse for linemates. You don't put all your eggs (top forwards) in one basket (all on top line) imo. You need balance in your lineup and Marner with JVR and Bozak is a step towards that. Marner is not being hurt in his development by playing with 50+ point linemates

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
As a fan I'd like to see the team get better, fine isn't enough and we should never be happy with "inferior" anything.

Inferior is relative. Unless you expect to have a whole team or Mitch Marner or better forwards, you're going to have inferior players.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

Mitch Marner was a very special rookie. I'm not sure what you're expecting if you want the team to be comprised of players equal to or better than Mitch Marner. :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Inferior is relative. Unless you expect to have a whole team or Mitch Marner or better forwards, you're going to have inferior players.

Referring to Bozak and JVR being inferior to others as options for Marner to play with.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
5. Team needs/balance. If Grundström is a really good talent, but some what soft. (I don't know btw.) Does he really go on a line with Matthews and Nylander? If he makes the line-up, could that possibly knock another 'softer' player for someone a bit more hard nosed?

Grundström isn't soft. He plays a Komarov style that's actually tougher than who Matthews played with this season. I think he'll probably start on the Marlies but should be one of the first call ups.

I'd like to see (based on current personnel)

Hyman -- Matthews -- Marner
Komarov -- Kadri -- Brown
JVR --- Nylander (relocated) -- Kapanen
Martin --- Boyle (resigned) -- Soshnikov

With Bozak dealt to relocate Willie to the middle & Boyle re-signed.

I like this line-up. I honestly can't figure out how to get Grundström, Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, Johnson into the line-up. I just don't see the movement/available spaces.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Grundström isn't soft. He plays a Komarov style that's actually tougher than who Matthews played with this season. I think he'll probably start on the Marlies but should be one of the first call ups.

I like this line-up. I honestly can't figure out how to get Grundström, Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, Johnson into the line-up. I just don't see the movement/available spaces.

No real need or purpose to weakening the current line-up to try and accommodate those players.

Grundström in time could be developed into a future replacement for uncle Leo down the road.

Some of those other guys can battle Sosh for the #12 & #13 forward spots.

& if Lou is going to successfully improve the defense via trade, then he is likely going to have to do so at the expense of the current forward group, which then could be bottom filled internally.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Jenner - Matthews - Nylander
Kappanen - Kadri - Komarov
Leivo - - - Bozak - - Marner
Martin - - - Boyle - - - Sosh

Rielly - - - Murray
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Manson

Anderson
McBackup

Leafs: Ryan Murray, Boone Jenner
Jackets: Connor Carrick, James VanRiemsdyk, Brendan Leipsic, (2nd, SJS 2nd 2018) or (1st 2017)

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I hope next year looks something like this

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Boyle-Rychel
Leivo-Leipisic

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Vatanen
Rosen/Borgman/Dermott-Franson
Marincin

Andersen
Mcelhinney (or other UFA back up)

Trades:
Leafs: JVR + 2017 2nd (OTT) + 2018 2nd (TOR). 2018 2nd conditional on if Anahiem re-signs JVR.
Sosh get dealt in minor deal for more defensive depth
Leafs trade back from 17th to pick up late 2nd/early 3rd (After trading their 2nd away)

Las Vegas takes: C.Carrick (could see leafs offering a later round pick not to take him)

UFA signings:
Cody Franson 1yr deal
Sign 4th line Center (Boyle, Moore, Thompson)
Sign Backup Goalie (Mcelhinney, Johnson,Nilsson)

Last edited:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
leo - kadri - brown
jvr - matthews - marner
hyman - bozak - nylander

top 9 should be something like that

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I don't think we will see much change from the way it ended.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin XXX Kapanen (XXX hopefully will be Boyle)
Soshnikov

Rielly Carrick
Gardiner Zaitsev
Rosen XXX (XXX will be a cheap UFA…maybe Franson or Polak if he is healthy)
Marchenko

I do think we will be/are looking to acquire Vatanen who would be a definite upgrade on Carrick in the top 4. I can't see Dermott being wasted on being the 6th or 7th D so he will probably be back with the Marlies with a little spot duty toward the end of the season.

Andersen
XXX (XXX will be whoever is out there McElhinney??)

I can see Bozak being moved out sometime during the season which would move Nylander to C and Kapanen up the lineup.

What I would like to see

JVR Matthews Marner
Kapanen Nylander Brown
Komarov Kadri Hyman
Martin Boyle Soshnikov

All lines have defensively responsible players. The top line may get hemmed in their own end once in a while but I'm guessing they won't be in their own end much at all if they are put together.

Rielly Vatanen
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Polak

Andersen
McElhinney

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Jenner - Matthews - Nylander
Kappanen - Kadri - Komarov
Leivo - - - Bozak - - Marner
Martin - - - Boyle - - - Sosh

Rielly - - - Murray
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Manson

Anderson
McBackup

Leafs: Ryan Murray, Boone Jenner
Jackets: Connor Carrick, James VanRiemsdyk, Brendan Leipsic, (2nd, SJS 2nd 2018) or (1st 2017)

I would dance naked in the street if these trades went down.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I hope next year looks something like this

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Boyle-Rychel
Leivo-Leipisic

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Vatanen
Rosen/Borgman/Dermott-Franson
Marincin

Andersen
Mcelhinney (or other UFA back up)

Trades:
Leafs: JVR + 2017 2nd (OTT) + 2018 2nd (TOR). 2018 2nd conditional on if Anahiem re-signs JVR.
Sosh get dealt in minor deal for more defensive depth
Leafs trade back from 17th to pick up late 2nd/early 3rd (After trading their 2nd away)

Las Vegas takes: C.Carrick (could see leafs offering a later round pick not to take him)

UFA signings:
Cody Franson 1yr deal
Sign 4th line Center (Boyle, Moore, Thompson)
Sign Backup Goalie (Mcelhinney, Johnson,Nilsson)

That's an over payment for Vatanen and no thanks to Franson

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Absolutely not to Vatanen.

We need a man with a long stick who can help our PK out. Not a tiny PP guy. That said it would be different if it was Ryan Ellis and not Sami Vatanen.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Absolutely not to Vatanen.

We need a man with a long stick who can help our PK out. Not a tiny PP guy. That said it would be different if it was Ryan Ellis and not Sami Vatanen.

Vatanen averaged 2:09 minutes on the PK with the Ducks and a 55% d-zone starts. I am thinking he is a pretty good two-way player.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
For fun:

Trade:
JVR to Calgary for 16th overall

Draft:
Brannstrom, Foote

Trades:
Bozak to whoever for a 2018 2nd
Carrick, Nielsen, Leipsic, Soshnikov two 2018 2nds to Vancouver for Chris Tanev

UFA:
Sign Tj Oshie 4 years 6 mil per.
Sign Anders Nillson 2 years 1.5 mil per
Re sign Hunwick 1 year 2 mil per

LINEUP:

Oshie-Matthews-Marner
Komarov/Grundstrom-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Boyle-Komarov/Grundstrom
Leivo

Rielly-Tanev
Gardier-Zaitsev
Hunwick-Dermott
Rosen/Marincin/Borgman

Andy
Nillson

randomusername101

May 23, 2017
The Cosmic Abyss
For fun:

Trade:
JVR to Calgary for 16th overall

Draft:
Brannstrom, Foote

Trades:
Bozak to whoever for a 2018 2nd
Carrick, Nielsen, Leipsic, Soshnikov two 2018 2nds to Vancouver for Chris Tanev

UFA:
Sign Tj Oshie 4 years 6 mil per.
Sign Anders Nillson 2 years 1.5 mil per
Re sign Hunwick 1 year 2 mil per

LINEUP:

Oshie-Matthews-Marner
Komarov/Grundstrom-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Boyle-Komarov/Grundstrom
Leivo

Rielly-Tanev
Gardier-Zaitsev
Hunwick-Dermott
Rosen/Marincin/Borgman

Andy
Nillson

Ya I would hope this is for fun because you'd be single handedly undoing two or three years of work by throwing away players, prospects, and financial flexibility. The first round pick for jvr doesn't make sense because a mid first rounder in an average at best draft is no use. Jvr is proven and that draftee may never even play. You must also hate bozak to throw him away for a second rounder. Even though he played with marner, he still put up almost 60 points. Why would you throw him away? Then you throw away three decent prospects and a decent top 6 defender for tanev who can't do anything but play defence, and I'm not sure about this but I think I heard he's also pretty damn slow. That could be alzner I'm thinking of though. Then, as if this couldn't get worse, you pay hunwick??? And then pay Oshie 6 mil to handicap your ability to sign the big three later? Sorry if it sounds like I'm berating you but what else is there to say here?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Komarov (Leipsic) - Kadri - Brown
Marner - Nylander - van Riemsdyk
Martin - Bozak - Boyle

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Shattenkirk
Carrick - Franson

Andersen
Niemi (bought out by DAL, signed at league min)

I could also include Alzner, Kovalchuk, Williams, and Oshie as targets in UFA.

Some magic needed, perhaps, but I think this is physically possible if completely unrealistic:

Marner - Matthews - Williams
Kovalchuk - Nylander - van Riemsdyk
Hyman - Kadri - Williams
Komarov - Bozak - Brown

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Shattenkirk
Alzner - Carrick

Andersen
Niemi

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Komarov (Leipsic) - Kadri - Brown
Marner - Nylander - van Riemsdyk
Martin - Bozak - Boyle

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Shattenkirk
Carrick - Franson

Andersen
Niemi (bought out by DAL, signed at league min)

I could also include Alzner, Kovalchuk, Williams, and Oshie as targets in UFA.

Some magic needed, perhaps, but I think this is physically possible if completely unrealistic:

Marner - Matthews - Williams
Kovalchuk - Nylander - van Riemsdyk
Hyman - Kadri - Williams
Komarov - Bozak - Brown

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Shattenkirk
Alzner - Carrick

Andersen
Niemi

**** no to Shattenkirk. He was ass in the playoffs and sheltered in St.Louis.

Let somebody else overpay for that bum.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Tanev needs to happen... I keep hearing he's a legitimate #2 d-man and one of the best shutdown games in the game. I think if you look at Rielly, who's coming off a great playoffs, and give him one of the best shutdown d-man in the game, he can take his game to the next level. Gardiner-Zaitsev would be a legit second pairing.

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev

Not a bad top 4... Actually promising.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Tanev needs to happen... I keep hearing he's a legitimate #2 d-man and one of the best shutdown games in the game. I think if you look at Rielly, who's coming off a great playoffs, and give him one of the best shutdown d-man in the game, he can take his game to the next level. Gardiner-Zaitsev would be a legit second pairing.

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev

Not a bad top 4... Actually promising.
Tanev fits like a glove. Problem is, he's never healthy. Vancouver still thinks they can compete...I wouldn't be surprised if they held onto him. Foolish.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Rychel/Grundstrom. Matthews. Brown
JVR. Nylander. Kapanan
Komarov. Kadri. Marner
Hyman. Boyle/Goat/Fehr. Martin

Gardiner. Zaitsev
Reilly. Carrick
Dermott. UFA

Trade Bozak. Sign Hunwick for depth. If trade JVR the Leivo/Grundsrom/Rychel gets added.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad