Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Okay who’s stepping up big time under Lindy and who’s in the doghouse. I see Quinn or Benson being his guys. I could see Tage being in the doghouse
He certainly won't put up with dumb Tage ... hopefully Lindy can harness 94 point Tage somehow. I get the feeling we'll see completely different forward lines than we expect.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
112 points with NJ last season. Please make a better argument for how stupid this is. He's not my first choice but C'mon. In my mind top 3 - 5 choices. I welcome Lindy back
It makes more sense to me now after seeing its only a 2 year contract. Lindy is here to placate the fans and plug the tanking ticket sales problem. Adams is still working off his 10 year plan. I was horrified by the thought of the GM actually thinking Lindy was the coach to compete for a championship. Adams doesn't think that. This is just a PR deal to make the fans happy while the younger players mature to an age where they can actually compete for a cup. In a couple years Adams will get a legit coach.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It makes more sense to me now after seeing its only a 2 year contract. Lindy is here to placate the fans and plug the tanking ticket sales problem. Adams is still working off his 10 year plan. I was horrified by the thought of the GM actually thinking Lindy was the coach to compete for a championship. Adams doesn't think that. This is just a PR deal to make the fans happy while the younger players mature to an age where they can actually compete for a cup. In a couple years Adams will get a legit coach.
That must be it!!

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
It's Ryan Lambert. I'm pretty sure the Sabres ran over his dog when he was a kid or something, because not once in his professional life has he ever had a good thing to say about the Sabres. If they hadn't hired Ruff, his piece would have been about how the Sabres bungled it again because the obvious choice in Ruff was right there.
Well Wyshinski and others didn't like the hire from a outside perspective either. Just sayin'

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Honestly, no matter what you think about the decision, I don't think you can argue that this wasn't a full coaching search.

Whether Adams wanted Ruff from the start or Terry told him they were hiring Ruff, it doesn't matter. The talks with other candidates were short and none were seriously considered given the time line from firing to hiring.

Adams/Pegula have essentially bet heavily that Ruff is the right coach for the team now. I can't imagine Adams surviving a 5th straight year with no playoffs.

Didn't think of the financial benefits of signing Lindy that they pointed out on ATW. With New Jersey still paying him millions, Pegulas likely got a bargain.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't think of the financial benefits of signing Lindy that they pointed out on ATW. With New Jersey still paying him millions, Pegulas likely got a bargain.

True. Yet the same could be said of all the vet coaches who have been fired recently. Hell, Vigneault is still being paid by Philly and he got sacked in iirc 2020.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Friedman asserted 3 possibilities

1) "I don't think the Sabres really contacted anybody,
2) or if they did it was very minimal
3) or it definitely didn't go down a process.

It’s pretty clear from those different options he doesn’t really know what took place and is speculating.

Could have stopped at Friedman! His speculation has become so rampant the last few years

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It is interesting he never mentions Skinner who is a well known Sabre and has been a leader in the lockerroom. The writing may be on the wall.
It's a foregone conclusion that Ruff will be frustrated with Skinner very early -- literally every coach he's had has grown to hate the way he plays, and Ruff is less likely to put up with it than any of them, except for maybe RBA.

The question is what he does about it. Convinces T-Pegs to buy him out, or just staple him to the bench as a 13th forward, and play the Rochester callups over him? It certainly is one of the big questions of the offseason for me. You can't play him on the 4th line, you can MAYBE play him on the third line if he has two really strong linemates.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Could have stopped at Friedman! His speculation has become so rampant the last few years
It’s wild how some jumped on Friedman’s unsourced speculation and accepted it as fact. Which set off pages of arguing over things like “talk to vs interviewed”.

I say unsourced speculation because when he has a source, his reporting usually starts with some version of “I’ve been told…” then the info. (Like the Harrington tweet). When he does’t have sources, his reporting starts with things like “I think...” or “I feel like..”. Which is followed by his speculation. Thats been the nature of his comments about the coaching search. The problem is some posters are taking this speculation as straight reporting of what happened. It isn’t.

Friedman is making what he feels is an educated guess based on the time frame of the search (6 days) and the fact a couple other teams still don’t have coaches. (I think it was the Blues and Sens).

I really don’t think there is much conflict between what Adams said and Friedman’s reporting. It mostly fans trying to parse to death GM speak and speculation from a reporter. @Chainshot described this much better in one of his posts.
Yeah I completely agree with your post and what Harrington said. This is all being blown out of proportion.

I am just pointing out that if he didn't say he talked to double digit people, this wouldn't be such a big deal.
It’s only become a big deal because some want to be angry online at the GM. Plus many are taking Friedman’s speculation and treating it as sourced reporting, which it isn’t. It also didn’t help things with how Friedman’s speculation was initially presented.

I believe the first post introducing Friedman’s comments into the discussion were from @MOGlLNY several pages ago. He posted that Friedman said that they really didn’t do much of a search and that he thinks Pegula was involved in the decision. Essentially feeding into the Pegula as the puppet master narrative. Which was catnip for the conspiracy theory crowd. I don’ think @MOGlLNY was trying to stir the pot but it was the end result.

The reality of Friedman’s comments were different than that initial framing, including him saying later this was Adams decisions. But a few posters took the intial take and ran with it. The cat was already out of the bag. What Friedman has said on the matter has been primarily speculation, not sourced reporting. I don’t say that a criticism of Friedman. It’s his job to comment on this stuff whether he has direct sources or not.

Last edited:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Adams was clearly picking his words carefully for the benefit of implication but he didn’t lie, as far as I know. With that said I’m incredibly confident that they’re not really telling the full story publicly, which is their right

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Adams was clearly picking his words carefully for the benefit of implication but he didn’t lie, as far as I know. With that said I’m incredibly confident that they’re not really telling the full story publicly, which is their right

In the end, the results, not the process that matters.

if Lindy comes in, takes us to the playoffs, nobody is going to give two shits they didn't interview more people

if it doesn't work out, Adams is likely done as GM and its doubtful he gets a job elsewhere, so its not like people are going to nitpick his resume and whether or not he conducted proper coaching searches.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I just think it’s funny that a team that needs an experienced coach who can coach a modern game hired the MOST experienced coach who had more recent success than any other available coach (A JACK ADAMS FINALIST LAST YEAR, PEOPLE)…and it’s treated like a joke.

I just can’t wrap my head around it.

You put his resume on a different name and I think reaction from outside is very different. Except for the people who hate any hire that is a retread name. Who just ignore that four of our last six coaches had like 50 total games coached in the NHL combined. Some teams actually need experience. Probably none ever more than this one.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My favorite reaction I’ve seen online is that this is like when the Bills brought Marv Levy back.

Marv Levy had been retired for nearly a decade and was given a job he had never done before.

Lindy Ruff has 112 points with a similar roster build one year ago.

Exactly the same!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Andrew and Craig are not good with numbers. Be weary of their expertise in this area.
My favorite thing about their show is that they are at that weird age between full on old men yelling at clouds and still reliving their glory days.

So you’ll have a segment where Rivet blows a gasket over Between 2 Stalls and how these kids today don’t take anything seriously followed by them talking with Derek Roy about the night they all snuck into Tim Connelly’s room and glued their pubic hair to his head

The latter is made up…but the sentiment is right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad