Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Talking about getting "dirtier goals" is music to my ears. And the forwards helping more in the defensive zone.

Please, please make this work.
Listening to Lindy talk about the importance of dirty goals is certainly an oldie...I feel like I grew up hearing him preach about them.. I thought maybe the game had changed but maybe the Sabres just didn't have anyone who saw the importance in it.

Reactions: Chainshot

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Hockey bros don't like it? Whatever.

Say they did something wild like Carle or Ronnberg from Frolunda (clearing the way for Dahl's dad to move up)... you can't tell me they wouldn't be dumping on that like a heavy industry into a landfill too.
All these podcast keep saying too "Chief (Berube) was available" Yeah and he probably didn't want to come here...

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

In general this entire thing has gotten incredibly stupid.

He shouldn't have said he interview double digit people..

Even if it was just Berube, Callant and Ruff those 3 make the most sense of ppl you want to hire when your comments a week before were "I want a guy with NHL coaching experience."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Even if it was just Berube, Callant and Ruff those 3 make the most sense of ppl you want to hire when your comments a week before were "I want a guy with NHL coaching experience."

From his answers, he didn't say interview. He said spoke to. Eh. We're going to parse his GM-speak.

God, what timeline is this that I kind of agree with Harrington. Bleh. Time to go scrub myself with steel wool.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

As Chain pointed out, he never said interviewed. Which gets back to my point of how stupid this all is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I cannot think of two more diametrically opposed situations than St. Louis and then Toronto. I could absolutely see the Big 4 despising Berube.

And yet... that spot and Ottawa and a return to Philly all seem to have mentions of him. He gets to pick his spot, and it's not like some teams haven't made firing their HC after a playoff loss a thing. Hell, does Cassidy get the axe if Vegas whiffs in the first round? Berube knows Pietrangelo and Barbeshev... that's a team that's going for it all the time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As Chain pointed out, he never said interviewed. Which gets back to my point of how stupid this all is.

I'm reminded of the "I said your words" bit in Army of Darkness:

:biglaugh:

And correct, he didn't say interview. He said spoke to. Potato, potato... which doesn't work in text. So potato, Nic Deslaurier: it's just semantics.

• Haha
Reactions: joshjull

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

In general this entire thing has gotten incredibly stupid.

Not going to speak fully on it, because it's done and over, but regarding this comment (just my opinion):

"My sense is Terry/Kevyn both wanted Lindy. So why wait?"

Because both men at different times and at the same time, haven't earned the benefit of the doubt from me with their decisions and opinions on things being corrected. They haven't exactly hit a homerun with their personnel decisions, especially at the coaching position in the organization. To rush into such an important decision as they did, I'm not going to be someone that thinks "oh, Kevyn and Terry hired a coach, they got it right this time no need to question that choice". They didn't even give themselves a chance to expand their potential coaching candidates.

Reactions: JThorne

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It very much mirrors many hiring practices now - have no intention of hiring from outside but put on a dumbshow of going through the process as a future justification all the while intending to just give the position to someone they already had sought. Not like I know much about this. :biglaugh:

I will say I'm still ambivalent about it. The good and the bad mostly balance out for me, he's here now so it's a matter of seeing them get to work to fix what needs fixing and leverage what was working to be better. In a vacuum, an experienced guy who has recent history of getting very good in-zone chance generation undercut by his tenders' inability to give that team saves seems like the answer to my annual complaint that this team relies too much on rush chances instead of settle offense.

Elsewhere, Lambert has not responded. I wasn't expecting any response. I'm sitting with the band kid at the gifted lunch table that the analytics preppies are going to throw food at while pretending they're important.
"There's nothing that pisses me off more than attending an interview when they already know who they're going to hire...almost as much as I hate conducting them when I know who I want to hire because of some mandated process. It wastes everyone's time and leaves a lot of bad feeling in the wake."

BINGO!!

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Yeah I completely agree with your post and what Harrington said. This is all being blown out of proportion.

I am just pointing out that if he didn't say he talked to double digit people, this wouldn't be such a big deal.
The reporters shouldn't have asked the question then.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I just don’t even understand any of this at this point.

Narrowed it down to the same three people everyone else did. Check.

Said you talked to double digit people? Gee I wonder if any of the people you talked to are the people around those three guys to get a feel for what happened…how they’ve changed or what they won’t…. You know…things you do.

This is my new least favorite discourse about this team. People who are mad it’s Lindy but can’t come up with legit reasons now cling to a short search even though it includes the exact people it was expected to. People who want to laugh at hiring someone who was here 11 years ago use it as proof they have no ideas. It’s all so exhausting.

These were the top three candidates. You do your due diligence and you pick one. It not taking three more months is not a negative.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I just don’t even understand any of this at this point.

Narrowed it down to the same three people everyone else did. Check.

Said you talked to double digit people? Gee I wonder if any of the people you talked to are the people around those three guys to get a feel for what happened…how they’ve changed or what they won’t…. You know…things you do.

This is my new least favorite discourse about this team. People who are mad it’s Lindy but can’t come up with legit reasons now cling to a short search even though it includes the exact people it was expected to. People who want to laugh at hiring someone who was here 11 years ago use it as proof they have no ideas. It’s all so exhausting.

These were the top three candidates. You do your due diligence and you pick one. It not taking three more months is not a negative.
Very well said - also it’s time for me to make an avatar change

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The reporters shouldn't have asked the question then.

Nah, if they had caught that he danced the word "spoke to" rather than saying "interviewed"? Or asked about was he going back to Lindy after every other call because he did say that he would have calls and then contact Lindy again? Just some more follow-up I suppose.

Reactions: jc17

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
21:59, Lance asks "...how many people did you speak to..."
22:26, Kevyn is answering with "...I spoke to double digit uh candidates..."

He did not say interview there.

31:46, while answering a PHam question Kevyn says "I went through the process and talked to different candidates"

So... no interview comment there.

49:09 Yerdon asks "...I know this process moved very quickly, how many candidates did you speak with and how quickly did you circle back that Lindy was the guy"

49:18 Kevyn answers "... in fairness to those I spoke to certainly don't want to talk about specific individuals names, I can tell you double digits, um and don't take the fact we're here a week later that we didn't go through an extensive process..."

Kevyn then talks about going back to - and calling back with - Ruff after those conversations.
Add to that, Lindy said he didn’t say yes to the job right away. And had multiple conversations with Adams over the week. That makes me think he was offered the job pretty quickly.

I do believe Adams talked to other candidates and maybe did some zoom interviews. But I do think Ruff was the #1 target from the start, and there’s nothing wrong with that. As I’ve said a couple times now, you can make a credible argument that Ruff was the top veteran coach currently on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad