Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The easy and more popular route would of been going with a Berube or Gallant .. it would of been seen as a win across the board from talking heads. Instead they went with Ruff knowing this type of ridicule would happen.
Not nitpicking, but easier in what way?
By popular, do you mean less polarizing? (given your last sentence)
Talking heads have praised all kinds of dumb shit in the past, and will continue to praise dumb stuff with the same frequency they praise smart stuff.
Or his hatefest on Sam
I'll never get that one. I swear, Reinhart must have sat next to PHam on a cross-country flight after downing a 28oz can of baked beans and a 6-pack of Old Milwaukee's Best.
I'll be honest... Ive forgotten it besides signing my own name
Chose your post to reply to re: cursive.
I use it every day.
so I guess the meme is true; if we write in cursive and drove only stick shifts, we could cripple an entire generation. fascinating...
And - using paper maps which don't re-orient to the direction you're traveling.

Place them under siege and tease them by providing pallets of canned beverages which require a church-key type opener.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This is an interesting sentiment. Could you elaborate?

Jersey's defensive structure was atrocious at times and certain players would be scapegoated while others would never be held accountable.

Thomas Vanek alluded to it on the podcast with Craig Rivet and Andrew Peters.

They were discussing Tim Connolly and said he would have had a lot more points had Lindy Ruff coached him the way he allowed Jack Hughes to play.

Conversely, the two Hughes brothers would not be a combined -40+ over the past four years had Lindy been able to hold them accountable for their careless defending.

Reactions: SnuggaRUDE

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Having watched his stars teams and his devils teams, I would say that was mostly ruff

Can't say what happened in Dallas but having watched the Devils for the past four seasons it was clear Lindy wasn't the one making the decisions with regards to lineup and ice time.

The Devils are in full Moneyball mode and there are accountants and statisticians in their 20's who call the shots more so than the coaches behind the bench.

• Wow
Reactions: VaporTrail

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Chose your post to reply to re: cursive.
I use it every day.
Doctor or lawyer?

I'm 40 and haven't used it since high school. Went the tech route before years later switching to legal studies and getting into insurance. The only people I see using cursive are doctors and lawyers and both are almost always illegible.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'll never get that one. I swear, Reinhart must have sat next to PHam on a cross-country flight after downing a 28oz can of baked beans and a 6-pack of Old Milwaukee's Best.
Willing to bet Reinhart did the unthinkable and was short with an answer from one of PHam's questions in a matter of "where the youth didn't respect his elders" kind of way. Pham was entitled to a full answer from Sam, and Sam didn't provide it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Doctor or lawyer?

I'm 40 and haven't used it since high school. Went the tech route before years later switching to legal studies and getting into insurance. The only people I see using cursive are doctors and lawyers and both are almost always illegible.
Engineer and scientist. I'm 57. My wife (will turn 51yo soon) is the same. We still keep lab notebooks, although less frequently filled than in the past. I use cursive every day, even though 90% is keyboard. I write fast and neatly, was necessary in HS & college. Correspondence with family and girlfriends, etc., in that era was via letter, and persisted with aunts and uncles and others of that vintage until their passing. Ironically, my 96yo uncle (last one living) was an early-adoptee of computers, so with his macular degeneration, is now typically keyboard only. Although I've slackened over the years in "perfection", it's often been said my handwriting looks like my mom's. My dad's was pretty good too. He was left-handed, but forced to write right-handed by nuns in Catholic school.

I spend enough time in front of a computer for work, HFboards, etc., that I have never been interested in video games or other computer distractions*, and actually welcome the respite which comes from hand-writing, cursive, etc.

*Although I do want to learn a CAD freeware package. Several false starts in the past. Need to commit one of these days.

Addendum: I have a 64yo colleague. HS education. We just honored him with a career excellence distinction - could have been done a decade ago, but he's an unassuming guy. He has kept a lab notebook since he started. Has stacks of them. Writes what he did every day in there. Sometimes it's only a couple lines. Sometimes there is detail. I and other colleagues have gone to him numerous times with "Bill, remember when we did "X", I think it was May-June of 2012, do remember how we did the equipment setup and whether we did both product A and B, or just A?" And 9 times out of 10, he'll have the notes. Handwritten lab notebooks aren't subject to IT archival policies or storage platform migrations.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's what I was hoping for, analysis from two players. I wouldn't think Peters dislikes him, but it felt that way. Peters owes that guy big for as many NHL games as he saw...
Peters came across as skeptical of the hire, but hopeful. I think he would have preferred that Lindy was hired as a POHO as opposed to the head coach. Rivet came across as more OK with Lindy as the hire because Lindy is the type of no nonsense coach that this roster needs right now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There's no way KA did an "extensive" interview process for 10+ people in a week, but it doesn't matter. When he had the presser for firing Granato he said he had a plan - ie he already had a guy in mind and was probably already planning for him before the firing. That's a-ok to me, as long as the guy isn't some nobody he's going out on a limb to hire. Other than RB'A (the pipe dream) Ruff is probably the best candidate, despite the gimmicky appearance of bringing him back and whatever else outsiders want to dig the Sabres about.

The team needs a legit NHL HC, and Ruff is that guy plus someone tied to the area and organization. Now we can see and accurately grade the roster KA has compiled under legit coaching and a year of adversity they should be learning from. I still have my doubts about the roster (C depth, vet defense, tougher guys), but this move is a plus that should bump them closer to playoffs. KA has more work to do this summer, because Krebs better not be the answer at 3C.
My guess is some of the contacts with 10+ coaches was texting RBA if he was staying in Carolina and checking him off the list when he told Kevyn that he was and checking in with other available veteran coaches on how interested they would be in coming to Buffalo, like Gallant and Berube. If they weren't that interested in the job as more than a fallback option if other jobs didn't work out, I could see Adams moving on from other guys quickly.

The previous example of McLellan not taking the Sabres opening seriously tells me that while fans might want to think that this job would be coveted, that might not be the case for more than a few veteran coaches.

:dunno:

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Peters came across as skeptical of the hire, but hopeful. I think he would have preferred that Lindy was hired as a POHO as opposed to the head coach. Rivet came across as more OK with Lindy as the hire because Lindy is the type of no nonsense coach that this roster needs right now.

Exactly. That was pretty much Andrew's take when Don Granato was let go. He thought Ruff could bring a lot of knowledge to the organization but was leery of him coaching. Remember when they were still on WGN and Craig was caught on a hot mic making some disparaging (profanity-laced) remarks about him.

They both appreciate his hockey knowledge. Personality-wise, there are still scars.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Jersey's defensive structure was atrocious at times and certain players would be scapegoated while others would never be held accountable.

Thomas Vanek alluded to it on the podcast with Craig Rivet and Andrew Peters.

They were discussing Tim Connolly and said he would have had a lot more points had Lindy Ruff coached him the way he allowed Jack Hughes to play.

Conversely, the two Hughes brothers would not be a combined -40+ over the past four years had Lindy been able to hold them accountable for their careless defending.
Luke Hughes is the worst defensive player I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched Jeff Skinner and Victor Olofsson. Lindy is a great coach. He is not a miracle worker.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Exactly. That was pretty much Andrew's take when Don Granato was let go. He thought Ruff could bring a lot of knowledge to the organization but was leery of him coaching. Remember when they were still on WGN and Craig was caught on a hot mic making some disparaging (profanity-laced) remarks about him.

They both appreciate his hockey knowledge. Personality-wise, there are still scars.
Peters seemed less scarred with how Lindy treated him as he was about how Lindy treated some of his teammates.

But, they also talked about how Lindy pushed Vanek hard. And while many would think that Vanek would look back and hate Lindy, Vanek praises Lindy for pushing him to be the best hockey player he could possibly be.

Marty Biron also talked about how Lindy will likely push Tuch like he pushed Chris Gratton. And while Gratton never wanted to be the 200 foot menace that put up a ton of points that Lindy pushed him to be, Marty thinks that Tuch will blossom with Lindy pushing him to be that guy.

And I think EF made a great point on The Jeff Marek Show yesterday. If Pegula did raise the heat a little on Adams, it is natural to go with the coach that you know best. And for Adams, that is Lindy Ruff who he coached with for two years as a development coach and two years as an assistant coach.

Reactions: Zman5778

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Luke Hughes is the worst defensive player I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched Jeff Skinner and Victor Olofsson. Lindy is a great coach. He is not a miracle worker.
Look at the D that NJ had in 2022-23 vs 2023-24.

2223.PNG

2324.PNG

They lost 2 of their top 4 veteran D from 22-23 and their other two saw huge drops in TOI, largely due to injury. And they replaced with rookies like Luke Hughes and Nemec and a guy like Bahl who is a huge step down from a guy like Severson.

Like you said, Lindy isn't a miracle worker. But, he is a guy that is not afraid to play younger players which will be needed here as they will likely have one of the youngest rosters in the league again next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My guess is some of the contacts with 10+ coaches was texting RBA if he was staying in Carolina and checking him off the list when he told Kevyn that he was and checking in with other available veteran coaches on how interested they would be in coming to Buffalo, like Gallant and Berube. If they weren't that interested in the job as more than a fallback option if other jobs didn't work out, I could see Adams moving on from other guys quickly.

The previous example of McLellan not taking the Sabres opening seriously tells me that while fans might want to think that this job would be coveted, that might not be the case for more than a few veteran coaches.

:dunno:

McLellan already had the Kings job lined up.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
"No more between two ferns, no more goal songs under Lindy."

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You never saw Jagr play?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Friedman addresses his and Adams beef on 32T today lol
And it was weird.

He seems to not think it’s possible to talk to anyone before you fire a coach…which, again….we’ve seen permanent vet coaches put in place THE DAY teams fire their coach. But he hammers on it being less than a week and look how long Ottawa hasn’t had a coach! As if they’ve been interviewing thousands of people since making their move.

What’s clear by the way he talks about Buffalo and how he hedges and admits to guessing…he has no sources talking to him here

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Honestly, no matter what you think about the decision, I don't think you can argue that this wasn't a full coaching search.

Whether Adams wanted Ruff from the start or Terry told him they were hiring Ruff, it doesn't matter. The talks with other candidates were short and none were seriously considered given the time line from firing to hiring.

Adams/Pegula have essentially bet heavily that Ruff is the right coach for the team now. I can't imagine Adams surviving a 5th straight year with no playoffs.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
One thing I hope Lindy does ( I know he won't because why would he even waste time thinking about it)

Please get rid of the individual goal songs and find a permanent good team goal song.

The individual ones were cute for a time but I need a fixture....and a banger

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Honestly, no matter what you think about the decision, I don't think you can argue that this wasn't a full coaching search.

Whether Adams wanted Ruff from the start or Terry told him they were hiring Ruff, it doesn't matter. The talks with other candidates were short and none were seriously considered given the time line from firing to hiring.

Adams/Pegula have essentially bet heavily that Ruff is the right coach for the team now. I can't imagine Adams surviving a 5th straight year with no playoffs.
We knew it wasn’t going to be an exhaustive search when Adams said he wanted a proven, tougher coach with a solid pedigree.

How many coaches fit that criteria? How many months should it take to look into all…three?

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm probably in the minority in not caring how Ruff was hired. We'll never know the truth, so any debate is going to go in circles. Adams said he interviewed a lot of candidates, Friedman disputed that, but also seemed to be out of the loop on the hiring process earlier in the week. That's the facts. That's all the information we're likely to get. Everything else is speculation, so in my mind there isn't much substance behind the debate.

There are many more interesting topics to debate surrounding this hire- Ruff's coaching techniques, what went wrong in the past with him, who should've been hired & why, what to expect with roster construction now that Ruff has a voice, etc...so many interesting topics regarding this hire, and many of us are stuck on an issue that's never going to be resolved!
The only important question is whether Adams looped in DEI.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
One thing I hope Lindy does ( I know he won't because why would he even waste time thinking about it)

Please get rid of the individual goal songs and find a permanent good team goal song.

The individual ones were cute for a time but I need a fixture....and a banger
Agree , I think it was good for team building with a young team but the time is now to move on

It might seem dumb but I can see the individual songs as kind of reinforcing players not to take the game as seriously during the middle of the season

Like on the bench mid game rather than just concentrating on the game you are poking fun at the guys song that just scored. Could see it as a focus issue and make things seem much more laid back and casual than it should be

Reactions: Beerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad