Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't really understand the back and forth honestly...

Adams suggested at his presser when they fired Don that he knew who he wanted. Or at least what he wanted. But my impression is that it was a who. That in conjunction with what him and Lindy said today make it pretty clear Lindy was the frontrunner from the beginning.

Adams easily could've talked to 10+ coaches in a few days. That's not hard. Also doesn't mean he did an actual, thorough search. You can do ten screener type interviews in that timespan, but not 10 thorough long-form interviews with rigorous analysis.

My best guess is that Lindy always had the inside track but they talked with other people to keep their options open and make sure they weren't missing something.

And that's all fine with me. None of this silliness (or my broader issues with Adams as a GM) will detract from my elation at Lindy being back.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20240424_004552.jpg

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Is it possible that Adams had conversations with coaching candidates during the season?

Lindy, Berube, Gallant, Broudreau, Quinnvelle, etc all were available well before the seasons end.

I also hate how media personalities are saying "Better options were available." Those better options maybe/most likely said thanks but no thanks to the opportunity.

One more thing, what has Adams said since day one of taking the job as GM? "We want people who want to be here."

Lindy wants to be here, he knows the organization well and he's 5th all time in NHL wins... A pretty solid hire if you'd ask me

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

25. It was interesting hearing the Sabres players talk. Some of the veterans, both current and recent, felt the younger group needed a harder push. Now they are demanding it, so they’re going to get it. What it means is that when it does happen, they have to accept it and can’t complain (as long as it doesn’t cross accepted lines). I’m trying to determine if the Lindy Ruff talk is real or fantasy. I also believe they are working on extending Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen.

This is from 4/20/24.

No much of what Friedman has posted suggests he’s been much of an insider on the coaching hire. Adam Bagnini of all people broke this and was his source.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm probably in the minority in not caring how Ruff was hired. We'll never know the truth, so any debate is going to go in circles. Adams said he interviewed a lot of candidates, Friedman disputed that, but also seemed to be out of the loop on the hiring process earlier in the week. That's the facts. That's all the information we're likely to get. Everything else is speculation, so in my mind there isn't much substance behind the debate.

There are many more interesting topics to debate surrounding this hire- Ruff's coaching techniques, what went wrong in the past with him, who should've been hired & why, what to expect with roster construction now that Ruff has a voice, etc...so many interesting topics regarding this hire, and many of us are stuck on an issue that's never going to be resolved!

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Funny enough, Vanek always talks glowingly about Ruff riding him to be better. Lindy told him he wanted Vanek to be Marion Hossa. It never got there, but he tried.
Marion is a female version of Mario in German, the correct would be Marian.
Is it a bit of a Freudian (Ruffian) slip there Chain? 😅

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I tapped quick with Peters opening with the full court press of conspiracy theories. I can't.
The back half of the show was way better than the beginning part.

Rivet talked about how when he first showed up, Lindy had the younger guys like Roy scared. There was one time they were in the locker room, Roy was talking about his escapades from the night before, he heard Lindy coming in his noisy track pants, Roy buttoned up, Lindy left to get coffee, Roy started back up, and when he heard Lindy coming back, he buttoned up again.

Rivet was upset and told Roy he was a candy *** and that Lindy wanted to hear the story.

The end was interesting with Rivet going off that Lindy won't stand for stuff like the players doing the funny social media stuff like Between 2 Stalls and the playing games against each other or Skinner's choice of goal songs.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
you would hope, since it's correct. but some people who used it (incorrectly) as evidence that he was too soft and wasn't "holding guys accountable."
My issue with what Granato said about accountability wasn't the words, but that he never seemed to back up whatever conversations he had with players with any impactful form of discipline. You can't just "talk" about accountability, you have to actually hold guys accountable. Ruff mentioned ice time as his primary avenue. I don't think we ever saw Granato bench significant players for any significant amount of time during the season.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There's no way KA did an "extensive" interview process for 10+ people in a week, but it doesn't matter. When he had the presser for firing Granato he said he had a plan - ie he already had a guy in mind and was probably already planning for him before the firing. That's a-ok to me, as long as the guy isn't some nobody he's going out on a limb to hire. Other than RB'A (the pipe dream) Ruff is probably the best candidate, despite the gimmicky appearance of bringing him back and whatever else outsiders want to dig the Sabres about.

The team needs a legit NHL HC, and Ruff is that guy plus someone tied to the area and organization. Now we can see and accurately grade the roster KA has compiled under legit coaching and a year of adversity they should be learning from. I still have my doubts about the roster (C depth, vet defense, tougher guys), but this move is a plus that should bump them closer to playoffs. KA has more work to do this summer, because Krebs better not be the answer at 3C.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The back half of the show was way better than the beginning part.

Rivet talked about how when he first showed up, Lindy had the younger guys like Roy scared. There was one time they were in the locker room, Roy was talking about his escapades from the night before, he heard Lindy coming in his noisy track pants, Roy buttoned up, Lindy left to get coffee, Roy started back up, and when he heard Lindy coming back, he buttoned up again.

Rivet was upset and told Roy he was a candy *** and that Lindy wanted to hear the story.

The end was interesting with Rivet going off that Lindy won't stand for stuff like the players doing the funny social media stuff like Between 2 Stalls and the playing games against each other or Skinner's choice of goal songs.
That's what I was hoping for, analysis from two players. I wouldn't think Peters dislikes him, but it felt that way. Peters owes that guy big for as many NHL games as he saw...

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's hilarious about Gallant. The guy lost a playoff series to f***ING FRED FLINTSTONE AKA JACK CAPPUANO!!!!!!!!
You do know that the coaches aren’t playing the games right? They don’t even wear skates.

You treat the game like a chess match between coaches and that’s not how it works.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
It’s kind of crazy to me that there are actually posters who don’t think he could talk to 10+ people over six days. He was making phones calls from early in morning to late at night per the presser. I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t contact that many people by the end of the day of the Granato firing presser.
He says he spokes to, not even interview, so a response of “I’m still really enjoying 36 holes a day” would count…so I don’t doubt he could have or did…but he did say he wanted experience, so some of them were likely token contact at best.
listening to the presser now, do people really not learn cursive anymore?
Generally not. I’m 38 and have always scribbled my signature…I likely haven’t used actual cursive in close to 20 years so I can’t say it’s a bad thing they don’t teach it.

Reactions: wunderpanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad