Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I thought a lot of people agreed with Granato completely on that ?
you would hope, since it's correct. but some people who used it (incorrectly) as evidence that he was too soft and wasn't "holding guys accountable."

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I don't understand this attitude. It's not like we've had the success of say, Boston, where they've had a dozen championships from their 4 major sports franchise's over the past 25 years. So if you're a Boston Sports guy It makes sense to have this smug attitude towards critical fans.

But it makes no sense to have this smug attitude towards critical fans if you're a Buffalo Sports guy. The critical fans have a 1.000 batting averages in Buffalo.
It's not being smug....... it's being tired of the constant negative droning about everything and anything. Does anyone understand the meaning of (and the beneficial experience) of joy in their sports livesl?

Why is everything (for some) always a funeral dirge?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I’ve made it to the point where they start talking about who’s making what. I don’t think Andrew understands that once somebody takes a contract somewhere else as a coach. Their former team isn’t on the book anymore. Unless something is fundamentally changed, once a guy gets hired, his old contract is now void and he doesn’t get any money. What the f*** am I even doing listening to this trash?
At the risk of being an annoying attorney (and unless there is something unique to hockey of which I am not aware) - it depends. If Granato has two years left at $1.9M per year, he is still owed $3.8M under that contract. If another team gives him a new contract for anything less than that (either per year or term or both), then the Sabres would still be on the hook for the delta. In other words, the new contract would mitigate Donny's damages. So, if the Sharks hire him for 2 years for $1M per year, then the Sabres are still on the hook for $1.8M.

That said, Peters knows very little about a lot of things, which is one of several reasons I stopped listening to those guys a while back.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Kind of the opposite of what Kevyn said during the press conference.

One day before Lindy was hired Friedman was saying he couldn’t even confirm if interest in Lindy was real or a rumor.

He’s the best. But he also knows nothing about what happens in this building. Literally the day before…couldn’t confirm if they even wanted a guy he now says was their only target. Ok.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
One day before Lindy was hired Friedman was saying he couldn’t even confirm if interest in Lindy was real or a rumor.

He’s the best. But he also knows nothing about what happens in this building. Literally the day before…couldn’t confirm if they even wanted a guy he now says was their only target. Ok.

Yeah but then how can you fill the minutes on all your podcasts? You certainly can't only put out 31 Thoughts

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Kinda what I came to as well.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That’s because Adams lied. No way he interviewed double digit coaches in a week
I don't think he did either, go back and look at his face and body language when he was asked the question and answered it.

Same as when he said it was his decision to relieve Granato of his duties.

I'm not saying he wasn't telling the truth but you could see the difference in him when asked about other questions and him being forthright.

Reactions: EichHart

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The pro-Adams people in this thread are just as closed-minded and ill-informed as the anti-Ruff people on the main board. It’s literally the same mindset of not being able to entertain any ideas other than the ones you’ve already established.

The amount of denial and redacted on any reports that reflect negatively on Adams is laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Spot on - he knows zilch from the Sabres and is a mouth piece for agents

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don't really have an issue with the short timeline if he knew exactly what he was looking for. I don't really buy the "I actually interviewed tons and tons of people" thing but I do believe this process started a lot earlier than just after firing Don. I do think that other people were interviewed.

I also think Lindy was clearly the clubhouse favorite off the bat.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
When Lindy was fired the Devils were 30-27-4. They went 8-12-1 afterwards…and that was with a new goalie putting up 6 appearances at a .923. He went 1-4. The Devils roster didn’t get a coaching change bump. Because the problem wasn’t the coach.
Also maybe because the coach was Travis Green.

Reactions: sxvnert

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At the risk of being an annoying attorney (and unless there is something unique to hockey of which I am not aware) - it depends. If Granato has two years left at $1.9M per year, he is still owed $3.8M under that contract. If another team gives him a new contract for anything less than that (either per year or term or both), then the Sabres would still be on the hook for the delta. In other words, the new contract would mitigate Donny's damages. So, if the Sharks hire him for 2 years for $1M per year, then the Sabres are still on the hook for $1.8M.

That said, Peters knows very little about a lot of things, which is one of several reasons I stopped listening to those guys a while back.

Thanks all!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wouldn’t those agents know if their coaching clients spoke to Adams about the position?
They would. But this may a case of word games from various parties.

Adams can talk to over double digit coaching options but not actually get very deep into interviewing with most of the them.

It doesn’t dispute that Adams talked to that many people to say he dialed in on Ruff. Nor does it dispute Adams was primarily interested in Ruff. Which many of those agents would have gotten out of potentially cursory conversations between their clients and Adams.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did Adams say the word "Interview" in his presser?

21:59, Lance asks "...how many people did you speak to..."
22:26, Kevyn is answering with "...I spoke to double digit uh candidates..."

He did not say interview there.

31:46, while answering a PHam question Kevyn says "I went through the process and talked to different candidates"

So... no interview comment there.

49:09 Yerdon asks "...I know this process moved very quickly, how many candidates did you speak with and how quickly did you circle back that Lindy was the guy"

49:18 Kevyn answers "... in fairness to those I spoke to certainly don't want to talk about specific individuals names, I can tell you double digits, um and don't take the fact we're here a week later that we didn't go through an extensive process..."

Kevyn then talks about going back to - and calling back with - Ruff after those conversations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad