Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Skinner in Cabo already? That SOB.

kinda wish more players were there..
I would imagine many of them are on vacation since the season just ended and you take a break before offseason training starts. They’d be as surprised as anyone that we are already here six days later. Of the whole year this is the week players are least likely to be around

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I really think Dahlin is going to take a huge step next year.

Power too but Ruff seems like a great coach to put Dahlin on that next level.
If I had to guess on three people who Lindy will love the most it would be Dahlin, Tuch and Benson. I also think he will love Savoie in camp. Maybe not enough to get him a spot…but he’s going to love the way he plays at the speed he plays at. Those guys work.

I don’t think Peterka is going to get doghoused the way some do. Peca loved him most for a reason. He can do everything…you just have to teach him and put him in position to do it. Lindy will like how coachable he is.

On the other hand…I think Olofsson is leaving at a very good time for him to do so.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
At half his salary, he's a good option as their #8 if he plays like he did this year... as their #8.

Last year he looked like an AHLer, but this season I thought he looked very similar to two years ago, and his charts reflect that as well:

1713901374831.png

If he can keep up those defense impacts that he provides against transitions, while also being isolated by a heavier player that can handle the heavy lifting along the boards and net front, I'd be ok with him as a #7. But he is definitely very dependent on his partner to handle the heavy stuff and he provides no offense.

I think he stays because he's one of the boys here unless someone overpays for his defensive analytics, but that's a stretch for someone of his size.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'd guess Cozens for early doghouse treatment. He has so much potential to be a nightmare opponent with his speed and size, but his CPU squanders a ton of plays. And when he's not efforting in other areas to make up for his giveaways and lackadaisical play...yeah it gets ugly.

I think Lindy will expect a lot from a Western boy like DC and if he isn't getting it, the whip will come out fast and hard.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
If I had to guess on three people who Lindy will love the most it would be Dahlin, Tuch and Benson. I also think he will love Savoie in camp. Maybe not enough to get him a spot…but he’s going to love the way he plays at the speed he plays at. Those guys work.

I don’t think Peterka is going to get doghoused the way some do. Peca loved him most for a reason. He can do everything…you just have to teach him and put him in position to do it. Lindy will like how coachable he is.

On the other hand…I think Olofsson is leaving at a very good time for him to do so.

Peterka reminds me so much of Bratt, and his game took off to another level under Lindy

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Last year he looked like an AHLer, but this season I thought he looked very similar to two years ago, and his charts reflect that as well:

View attachment 858392

If he can keep up those defense impacts that he provides against transitions, while also being isolated by a heavier player that can handle the heavy lifting along the boards and net front, I'd be ok with him as a #7. But he is definitely very dependent on his partner to handle the heavy stuff and he provides no offense.

I think he stays because he's one of the boys here unless someone overpays for his defensive analytics, but that's a stretch for someone of his size.

I would rather he be the 8 - but that's still a guy who will see 40-50 games (some years more) - if he stays. Or even if they move on, that's fine too. He did work as the option after RJohnson who seems like he'll be up based on his play.

It's weird that Bryson's offense is just not there at all.

Back to Ruff for a moment - he did break in three young defensemen this year with Bahl, Nemec and LHughes graduating. I think the NJ defense was hurt by departures but Siegenthaler and Marino both didn't step back up to last year's levels which may have been Severson's departure.

Reactions: Fezzy126

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd guess Cozens for early doghouse treatment. He has so much potential to be a nightmare opponent with his speed and size, but his CPU squanders a ton of plays. And when he's not efforting in other areas to make up for his giveaways and lackadaisical play...yeah it gets ugly.

I think Lindy will expect a lot from a Western boy like DC and if he isn't getting it, the whip will come out fast and hard.
Not to butt in and start crapping in the wrong bathroom, but Cozens problem (as an outsider) is he not selfish enough with his shot. He passes up too many chances to shoot and it breaks so many plays. He reminds me of Teddy Purcell. All that talent but wants to die on that hill of how *HE* wants to play. What the hell are you gonna do with 200 shots a year? I think winning fixes his motor.

If not, the dog house will fix him. Ruff is afforded to take no prisoners

Reactions: HOOats

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
My hope is Ruff can turn Krebs into Derek Roy. I hate to make the comparisons but there are similarities there.
I could see it. I'm still a believer in Krebs but he's really going to need to improve his game.

I think Lindy can at least give Krebs an understanding of what his true role could be.

If Lindy brings Jeep on board as an assistant, I can really see Krebs turning into a pesty two-way 3C.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Compare what the young Devils players said when Lindy was fired to what our players said when Don was fired. It’s night and day. Guy was a Jack Adams finalist last year. And it’s a fit in all areas. I don’t get the hate from outside of town and understand it less from inside.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I haven't seen mentioned that when asked about analytics Ruff said he believes in them and looks at expected goals for and against and all that but he also needs things to pass the eye test.

He also talked about things like getting to the middle of the zone to score goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad