Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
1) Adams was the assistant coach for Ruff for two years in Buffalo and by my own personal accounts has always been close with Ruff. They have a good working relationship. Does Pegula also have a relationship? Yes. But to think that this was Pegula coming from the top rope is again a major stretch. My personal assumption - Adams had been eyeing Ruff from when he was let go in NJ, but wanted to see how Granato and the team closed out the year because they technically weren't out of contention until the last week and a half. Once we were officially eliminated, Adams started his "search" quietly and keyed in on Ruff. Im sure Pegula has no issues with it, but let's not act like Adams doesn't know who Ruff is. You could say Adams may have an even CLOSER relationship with Ruff than Pegula

2) Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma had issues. Patty L had issues with people. Lot's of coaches/GMs have potential for issues. Ruff didn't have issues with this org for 16 years. Adams is a team guy and has made it clear he knows he is on his last coaching change here for this org. There is always risk in a bad relationship, but everyone in the equation has worked together before. I'd frankly be more concerned with a Berube/Adams relationship if the team started slow than a Ruff/Adams/Pegula one.

3) Totally agree. I would have liked for them to interview 3-4 guys and get their input. However, they let Granato go right away which leads me to believe they wanted THEIR guy and didn't want to lose the option of choosing first to another franchise. But I also would have appreciated interviewing a few candidates.

I cannot stress this enough - Adams and Ruff have a friendship that is deeper than Ruff/Pegula. As someone whose family lived NEXT DOOR to Adams from 2010/11-2015, I know that Ruff would come over for dinner. I know that Ruff would stop by for the block parties. I know that Ruff and Adams would spend time together. This isn't a situation of Adams picking a guy who Pegula has this great relationship with and Adams doesn't.

Well this makes me feel a little better about it. I was unaware of the previous relationship Adams had with ruff. I still think the dynamic has some toxic potential if things go sideways though.

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
I agree with this guy on the main threads.

"As I went through the hiring process, it quickly became clear Lindy was the person for the job.

"But you didn't go through the process. You barely waited for the season to end before running back to warm and comfortable.

I think Granato was dead man walking the second Buffalo missed the playoffs.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Yeah but..isn't not wanting a "Sabre retread" the same lazy way of seeing things as wanting Ruff because of nostalgia?

I wanted someone different than Lindy as well... but to be honest none of the coaches available now did anything for me
i am not sure i understand what you mean. And to clarify, i am not calling fans lazy or what-have-you for liking/wanting this hire. I am calling adams lazy. this feels very much like darcy's extensive search to promote Rolston.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The process is irrelevant to me but interesting as posters hash it out. Ruff wouldn't be my top choice but I also think he can bring much more out of this incredibly underperforming lineup so I'm excited about the upcoming season and I truly believe (once again) that it will be a playoff year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
i am not sure i understand what you mean. And to clarify, i am not calling fans lazy or what-have-you for liking/wanting this hire. I am calling adams lazy. this feels very much like darcy's extensive search to promote Rolston.

I just meant it seems you only dislike it because it is a Sabres retread.

I hate it even more if this hire is just a vehicle to get Appert behind the bench.
Now that I can agree with.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I just meant it seems you only dislike it because it is a Sabres retread.

Now that I can agree with.
That is part of the reason. The other is i just don't think he has been that successful since leaving Buffalo the first time. And to be honest, i am genuinely shocked at how much i hate this hire. Initially, i thought i would be okay with Ruff coming back if that's the direction they went in.

Reactions: JThorne

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Well this makes me feel a little better about it. I was unaware of the previous relationship Adams had with ruff. I still think the dynamic has some toxic potential if things go sideways though.
I think it could go sour if Ruff doesn't produce and we are floundering. But I personally view that as a risk in any GM/Coach relationship.

I'm hoping it all works out though!

James sounds like the nicest guy - looks like Ruff knew him from his last time around?

Reactions: Jim Bob

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
This was the least surprising hire. When GMKA had his post-firing press conference, he listed Ruff's traits as his requirements. This deal was in place for at least a couple weeks.

RBA was always my first choice and knew it was unrealistic.

Lindy has the right amount of experience, demonstrated success AND wants to be here.

One of things that impressed me over the decades is that he doesn't have a set in stone style. He evolves with the game and creates a strategy to maximize the skills of the players he has. In the 90s, it was a lockdown, neutral clogging juggernaut that helped get Hasek the best chance to win.

Post-lockout he oversaw one of the best offensive teams the franchise ever had.

He was my #2 choice. Happy to have him back.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This was the least surprising hire. When GMKA had his post-firing press conference, he listed Ruff's traits as his requirements. This deal was in place for at least a couple weeks.

RBA was always my first choice and knew it was unrealistic.

Lindy has the right amount of experience, demonstrated success AND wants to be here.

One of things that impressed me over the decades is that he doesn't have a set in stone style. He evolves with the game and creates a strategy to maximize the skills of the players he has. In the 90s, it was a lockdown, neutral clogging juggernaut that helped get Hasek the best chance to win.

Post-lockout he oversaw one of the best offensive teams the franchise ever had.

He was my #2 choice. Happy to have him back.
There was no other candidate that wanted to be a part of this organization more than Lindy does. That was absolutely one of the factors in this hire with as much as Adams has talked about "guys that want to be here" for a while now.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I think Granato was dead man walking the second Buffalo missed the playoffs.
Granato was good at development, but could not round out to a pro head coach. Simple as that. You now have a competent, experienced coach who will hopefully have the same in his assistants and get the team to a level they need to be at, play tougher, and up and prepared for ALL games including home.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
My question for GMKA, which is now hypothetical... if the team did squeak into the playoffs this season despite the obvious warts, would Snowballs still have the job?

It would have been interesting to see what could have happen if they hire Lindy immediately after he left NJ. The new coach bump could have sparked the team into 3 or 4 more wins.

Reactions: Tatanka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad