Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
After sleeping on it and listening to a couple of pods this morning, here is how I am feeling:

On the process that got them to hiring Ruff: With the way Adams talked in the press conference after Granato was let go, the Venn Diagram that I looked at had three circles of veteran NHL head coach, available (given Adams saying he wanted a hire to happen quickly), and prior experience working with Kevyn Adams (connections matter, especially with Adams who likes to be collaborative with his head coach). The overlap on that Venn diagram was Lindy and.... And if you want to say, "Why didn't he wait to see about RBA?", I am assuming that Adams shot a text to Rod, asked if EF's report that it was basically a done deal that he was staying was accurate, and RBA told him he was staying in Carolina. So, I am not shocked at the process and that this came so quickly. And Craig Berube is one Jordan Binnington hot streak away from being a guy that few would want here.

On Lindy being back as the head coach: My initial response is that they got a veteran coach who bleeds Blue & Gold. That has me optimistic just from the standpoint that he has experience as a player and a coach representing the Sabres. And I am sure that the petty stuff about the noise and stuff from the outside and the frustration due to the drought will not be tolerated by Ruff. Plus, the underlying numbers that Ruff's teams in Dallas and NJ were solid. And when he has gotten near league average Save% goaltending, his teams make the playoffs. This year in NJ it was about key injuries to Hamilton, Jack Hughes, and others, and putrid goaltending.

Overall, I am good with the hire and excited for all the Eminem "Without Me" and the Cody Rhodes "Finish the story" stuff.

This all assumes that they made the decision to fire Granato first and then entered into a formal hiring process.

They repeatedly talked about Granato positively the past few months and everyone was shocked at the news of his firing. So the thing that I've started to wonder about is this: would they have fired Granato if Lindy wasn't available and interested in returning.

The answer doesn't really matter to me, Ruff is an upgrade behind the bench and cleaning house with the assistant coaches is going to be a big positive. But I don't think there was any kind of coaching search, for me the process went:
  1. Make sure Lindy is interested in coming back
  2. Fire Granato
  3. Name Lindy Head Coach

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, in thinking about this, a few thoughts:

1. If still think firing Granato and hiring Ruff was an Adams choice, i don't know what to say. The one good thing we've learned about Adams is he typically goes by committee and he moves slow. He's very deliberate with his moves and doesn't do things rashly. Firing Granato is fine....firing Granato before getting feedback from the players is definitely not an Adams move. And hiring a new coach without an interview process or waiting to see if any coaches get canned after the 1st round is another fast move. This firing/hiring stinks of Terry taking over the process and getting what he wants versus the front office going through a discussion and deciding what is best for the team.

2. The dynamic between Ruff/Adams/Pegula has the potential to be problematic. The gravitas that Ruff holds with the Pegulas and the personal relationship there is going to be a problem if Adams and Ruff have a disagreement. The Regier/Ruff era had a decade plus of established dynamic between GM and coach. Ruff is coming back a conquering hero tasked with fixing the problems of the organization since he was fired. I'm not saying it WILL be a problem, these are all adults and professionals, but there is certainly POTENTIAL to be a problem here.

3. Not doing a formal interview process also I think is also bad. Worse case scenario, you could have gotten 3-4 professional coaches give you a deep dive on the construction of your roster and what needs to be changed. There also could have been the absolute perfect fit for this team that you didn't get to see because you rushed for the good press fan service hire.

Overall, I still like the hire, because I believe Ruff is a good coach and like what he did with NJ. There is a fit here even if you remove the name Ruff and his history with the org. However, I think the underlying issues with the owner and GM still exist. I like having fresh eyes on the org though. I'd really like to see a senior advisors or extra AGM brought in outside the org to really just take a fresh look at the organization as a whole at how the team can improve their processes and management.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This all assumes that they made the decision to fire Granato first and then entered into a formal hiring process.

They repeatedly talked about Granato positively the past few months and everyone was shocked at the news of his firing. So the thing that I've started to wonder about is this: would they have fired Granato if Lindy wasn't available and interested in returning.

The answer doesn't really matter to me, Ruff is an upgrade behind the bench and cleaning house with the assistant coaches is going to be a big positive. But I don't think there was any kind of coaching search, for me the process went:
  1. Make sure Lindy is interested in coming back
  2. Fire Granato
  3. Name Lindy Head Coach
I will say that the xB guys heard that Adams did do phone interviews with multiple candidates and was on the phone with someone late into the night Wednesday between locker clean out days.

I definitely believe that Lindy was the #1 candidate from the drop. But, there are reports that he called on one or two other candidates.

1. If still think firing Granato and hiring Ruff was an Adams choice, i don't know what to say. The one good thing we've learned about Adams is he typically goes by committee and he moves slow. He's very deliberate with his moves and doesn't do things rashly. Firing Granato is fine....firing Granato before getting feedback from the players is definitely not an Adams move. And hiring a new coach without an interview process or waiting to see if any coaches get canned after the 1st round is another fast move. This firing/hiring stinks of Terry taking over the process and getting what he wants versus the front office going through a discussion and deciding what is best for the team.

2. The dynamic between Ruff/Adams/Pegula has the potential to be problematic. The gravitas that Ruff holds with the Pegulas and the personal relationship there is going to be a problem if Adams and Ruff have a disagreement. The Regier/Ruff era had a decade plus of established dynamic between GM and coach. Ruff is coming back a conquering hero tasked with fixing the problems of the organization since he was fired. I'm not saying it WILL be a problem, these are all adults and professionals, but there is certainly POTENTIAL to be a problem here.

3. Not doing a formal interview process also I think is also bad. Worse case scenario, you could have gotten 3-4 professional coaches give you a deep dive on the construction of your roster and what needs to be changed. There also could have been the absolute perfect fit for this team that you didn't get to see because you rushed for the good press fan service hire.

Overall, I still like the hire, because I believe Ruff is a good coach and like what he did with NJ. There is a fit here even if you remove the name Ruff and his history with the org. However, I think the underlying issues with the owner and GM still exist. I like having fresh eyes on the org though. I'd really like to see a senior advisors or extra AGM brought in outside the org to really just take a fresh look at the organization as a whole at how the team can improve their processes and management.
Adams was an assistant coach with Lindy here. If it were not for that prior relationship between Adams and Ruff, then maybe I could see things this way. But, I view Ruff as very similar to RBA in that he is an experienced NHL head coach that Adams does have a prior working relationship with and will work with just fine moving forward.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
My thoughts on the matter, they knew they were hiring Lindy by Adams' Presser (Granato's firing). How we got there, only those in the know actually know. It could range from Terry/Adams and Lindy talking to one another on a random evening, Lindy giving his thoughts on what they saw the team needed, and Terry/Adams deciding they needed to move from Don, to Terry & Adams had a discussion and Terry wanted Lindy to coach, and everything in between.

Now going forward, it's an improvement in terms of quality of coaching at the NHL level on what we had prior. I expect this hire to be one of just taking what Granato did and attempt to refine the rough edges of the team, build up the "accountability" foundation, and then transition into a longer term coach. I wouldn't expect Lindy to coach for more than 2 more years. We'll see what he can do with the core players he has here and possible changes/growth in the players.

I'm not mad about the hiring of Lindy. But I'm a little ticked off that they did such little work in trying to find a new head coach. Hiring Lindy so quickly points me to the direction that they already have an idea on the longer term head coach for the Sabres, but they need a transitional coach in the meantime.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

I don’t have the sense that Adams was forced into anything but yes this was driven by Pegula

Reactions: JThorne

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Lazy f***ing hire and another retread/nostalgia hire. Don't f***ing say you're going to do a coaching search and then hire a guy less than a week later. Just be real and say you've got a guy in mind or something. I am not happy with this move one bit.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don’t have the sense that Adams was forced into anything but yes this was driven by Pegula
Given how upset Adams was at the press conference, I have a hard time believing that was really the case. Pegula may have been upset by how the season went and perhaps turned up the heat a little bit. But, this is Adams hiring a head coach that had previously promoted Adams from a development coach to an NHL assistant coach. Adams had been hired as a development coach prior to Pegula purchasing the team from Golisano.

So, the Adams-Ruff relationship predates the Adams-Pegula or Ruff-Pegula relationships.

Lazy f***ing hire and another retread/nostalgia hire. Don't f***ing say you're going to do a coaching search and then hire a guy less than a week later. Just be real and say you've got a guy in mind or something. I am not happy with this move one bit.
Adams said he had a coach in mind and that the hire could come quickly at the press conference. He never said there would be an extensive search.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

He basically said that in press conference

I have a plan"

Everyone came out of that PC knowing he had a guy in mind already.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010

1) Adams was the assistant coach for Ruff for two years in Buffalo and by my own personal accounts has always been close with Ruff. They have a good working relationship. Does Pegula also have a relationship? Yes. But to think that this was Pegula coming from the top rope is again a major stretch. My personal assumption - Adams had been eyeing Ruff from when he was let go in NJ, but wanted to see how Granato and the team closed out the year because they technically weren't out of contention until the last week and a half. Once we were officially eliminated, Adams started his "search" quietly and keyed in on Ruff. Im sure Pegula has no issues with it, but let's not act like Adams doesn't know who Ruff is. You could say Adams may have an even CLOSER relationship with Ruff than Pegula

2) Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma had issues. Patty L had issues with people. Lot's of coaches/GMs have potential for issues. Ruff didn't have issues with this org for 16 years. Adams is a team guy and has made it clear he knows he is on his last coaching change here for this org. There is always risk in a bad relationship, but everyone in the equation has worked together before. I'd frankly be more concerned with a Berube/Adams relationship if the team started slow than a Ruff/Adams/Pegula one.

3) Totally agree. I would have liked for them to interview 3-4 guys and get their input. However, they let Granato go right away which leads me to believe they wanted THEIR guy and didn't want to lose the option of choosing first to another franchise. But I also would have appreciated interviewing a few candidates.

I cannot stress this enough - Adams and Ruff have a friendship that is deeper than Ruff/Pegula. As someone whose family lived NEXT DOOR to Adams from 2010/11-2015, I know that Ruff would come over for dinner. I know that Ruff would stop by for the block parties. I know that Ruff and Adams would spend time together. This isn't a situation of Adams picking a guy who Pegula has this great relationship with and Adams doesn't.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'm not enthused by this. My shopping list for coach was pretty simple:

Please not a rookie or Lindy.

Bringing back Ruff feels like cheep nostalgia bait. Like Hollywood trying to mine every last dollar out of familiar intellectual property rather than coming up with something new and better. Like this:

It feels similar to when Adams went on an "extensive coaching search" and chose Donny.
It feels similar to signing Okposo and Girgs in May and June respectively. And Jost within the first minutes of free agency on July 1st.

It feels like another very Adams and Pegula move that won't work out.

I think there's a good chance that Ruff breaks the drought for us. But I have no confidence he brings us a cup.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
As I said, you can't be convinced. IDFC. There were exactly 2 plausible hires (excluding the RBD fantasy), that I thought were arguably better choices than Lindy, and one would have required a roster overhaul (Berube), and the other is mostly known for losing the locker room and not devolping young players (Gallant). Lindy just came from a place with a similar roster construction, lots of young players, where injuries and goaltending got him fired. We have goaltending. If Ras misses half a season, we probably couldn't make the playoffs with any coach.

I don't know why I'm talking to the f***ing wall.

I’m not the original poster you were arguing with. I wasn’t even arguing with you. lol.

I just chimed in to say you can both be right. Multiple things can be true at the same time.

Breath.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think Adams made the decision to fire Granato basically the day Ruff was fired.. or atleast started contemplating it.

We've been alternating

Rolston (noob)
Bylsma (retread)
Housley (noob)
Snake Oil (retread)
Granato (noob)
I don't consider Ralph a retread

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Bringing back Ruff feels like cheep nostalgia bait. Like Hollywood trying to mine every last dollar out of familiar intellectual property rather than coming up with something new and better. Like this:

It feels similar to when Adams went on an "extensive coaching search" and chose Donny.
It feels similar to signing Okposo and Girgs in May and June respectively. And Jost within the first minutes of free agency on July 1st.

I think there's a good chance that Ruff breaks the drought for us. But I have no confidence he brings us a cup.

Right now, it’s all about stabilizing this franchise. It has been bleeding profusely for a decade plus.

Lindy Ruff is the tourniquet to stop the deadly bleeding. That needs to happen first.

Let’s worry about the Cup down the road. If Ruff does his job, which I fully expect him to, the Sabres will be on the short list of the best coaches available when that time comes. Lindy isn’t long term.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I love the "retread" argument after we had gone 3 newbs in a row
Forgive me. I used the wrong term. He is a sabres' specific retread. I would have liked someone behind the bench who hasn't been part of the sabres organization in the past. Frankly, i was holding out for gallant.

As for the he already had a guy in mind point. Fine. I will concede that it was clear he had someone in mind, but let's not act like he didn't say things like "the search is already underway." It doesn't feel like a search. It feels like he called ruff and said "do you want the job?"

edited to add that our memory is short. Ruff flamed out here. He bounced around other teams as HC and assistant in dallas and NY respectively. The devils stint....he got them to the playoffs how many times? Once with an overachieving devils team? I know a lot of you are pumped about this hire and i don't mean to shit on your sunny day. i just don't see how this is a home run hire.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Right now, it’s all about stabilizing this franchise. It has been bleeding profusely for a decade plus.

Lindy Ruff is the tourniquet to stop the deadly bleeding. That needs to happen first.

Let’s worry about the Cup down the road. If Ruff does his job, which I fully expect him to, the Sabres will be on the short list of the best coaches available when that time comes. Lindy isn’t long term.

I think it is to save the locker room/fan base as well. It just got too contentious last season.

Lindy would have punched whoever the "anonymous source" (cough Okie cough) right in the face at center ice.

Somebody needed to step in with some ties to success in this city before it forced another reset.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
he did

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Your post made me feel bad for enjoying Rogue One.

Thanks man, thanks a lot. :cry:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Given how upset Adams was at the press conference, I have a hard time believing that was really the case. Pegula may have been upset by how the season went and perhaps turned up the heat a little bit. But, this is Adams hiring a head coach that had previously promoted Adams from a development coach to an NHL assistant coach. Adams had been hired as a development coach prior to Pegula purchasing the team from Golisano.

So, the Adams-Ruff relationship predates the Adams-Pegula or Ruff-Pegula relationships.

Adams said he had a coach in mind and that the hire could come quickly at the press conference. He never said there would be an extensive search.
I’m not speculating

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Forgive me. I used the wrong term. He is a sabres' specific retread. I would have liked someone behind the bench who hasn't been part of the sabres organization in the past. Frankly, i was holding out for gallant.

As for the he already had a guy in mind point. Fine. I will concede that it was clear he had someone in mind, but let's not act like he didn't say things like "the search is already underway." It doesn't feel like a search. It feels like he called ruff and said "do you want the job?"

Yeah but..isn't not wanting a "Sabre retread" the same lazy way of seeing things as wanting Ruff because of nostalgia?

I wanted someone different than Lindy as well... but to be honest none of the coaches available now did anything for me

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Fair enough. I just feel there were other viable options for a tourniquet and we settled a little too quickly.

Just because you're in a dry spell doesn't mean it's a good idea to go back to your ex.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad