Lindros advocates elimination of body contact

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I cannot see hockey ever removing contact and I do not want to see that but Scott Stevens played to hurt people and I can understand why so many people hate him. Someone should not be punished for life because they did not have their head up.

If you watch Stevens top hits, most of them wouldnt even be suspendable by today's rules, forget about the time when he played.

As for Lindros, I dont really feel bad at all. He was out there to hurt people just as much as anyone in the league. He ran around all the time, cheapshotted guys and thought he was untouchable. He found out the hard way that people dont give a f*** where you were drafted or how big you are. You can find a lot more cheapshots from Lindros on youtube than you can of Stevens I would bet

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sounds like the opinion of a former player who doesn't understand his sport's nature or what makes it popular. You're seeing this viewpoint creep into the NFL as well. These are gladiator sports. You'll never make them 100 risk free. They are both predicated on violence.

Reactions: AndersonCondo

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
You’ve got it backwards there. The Casual Fan is the market for a more physical game. People who know nothing else about the sport can appreciate huge hits and fights.

This isn’t about appealing to fans. This is about a brewing legal war between the players/alumni and the league.

And nothing more. Everything is political with the players and league... if someone speaks you know there is an agenda behind it rather than passion for the sport.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
That would kill the NHL as a viable sport. And eventually, someone would start a league with hitting and fighting (and contracts acknowledging the sport is "dangerous") and we'd be back right where we are.

I was about to write the same.

Also interest in the NHL would decline in Europe since body contact would remain in Liiga, SHL, KHL, etc as well as little interest to follow the games in the middle of the night if the on-ice product becomes feeble to watch.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
He wasn't an advocate for eliminating body contact when he was crushing kids in junior.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
If the NHL had rules against physical contact during Lindros' career, the Nordiques would likely still be around - maybe with a couple of Cups as well.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What's odd about the article is there's not really a direct quote of Lindros saying this. He somewhat references it in how he still has fun playing today without contact.

Was this just an off-handed comment that they're blowing out of proportion? Or is he genuinely advocating that the NHL actually become the No Hit League?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The league eventually is going to have to figure out where those huge open ice hits land. Catching a guy crossing the blue line with his head down makes for fantastic highlights and it's prime "hockey", but it is a huge injury liability. The league will need to figure out what level of concussion risk is acceptable and those big body checks are a huge injury risk. Even on supposedly clean plays, shoulder to the chest and feet on the ice, the risk of injury is still substantial due to the forces involved. The NHL and NHLPA will need to recognize this and come to terms with the levels of risk they are willing to accept.
It's a contact sport, so even on clean hits guys will suffer concussions from the impact of the hit. There's no getting around that.

They definitely need to punish headshots and get them out of the game.

The other consideration is that players themselves today, have no excuse whatsoever IMO to continue to play if they have suffered multiple concussions. There's too much information out there and enough horror stories from players who have suffered multiple brain trauma for players to not understand the risks of continuing to play a contact sport.

Ekblad is only 22, but he suffered a concussion at age 18 at the WJC selection camp, in year 2, and another in year 3 in the NHL. Hopefully he still has another 12 years of hockey in him, but if he were to suffer another concussion, he'd have to think long and hard about whether it makes sense for him to continue to play hockey. What's the risk to his long term health? Is the extra $30 odd million in salary worth not being able to fully enjoy that money when he's 30 years old?

I don't know what the contractual situation would be for a player who gets cleared from concussion protocol, but after 4 concussions, it may be better for his health to retire. Is there a process in place by the NHL to resolve the remainder of the player's contract?

I remember Simon Depres got bought out by Anaheim but per cap friendly, the Ducks are not taking any cap hit for his buyout. Players have to be willing to leave money on the table in exchange for their long term health.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Lindros wasn’t very bright even before the repeated braun trauma.

These guys make this money because of not only a short career, but because career ending hits can and do sometimes happen.

You want people to even less watching hockey when it's a very distant 4th of the alleged 'big four' leagues? Because getting rid of hitting and fighting wholesale makes that happen.

Life's hard get a helmet.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And the last scenario is Scott Stevens ending his career because he couldn't keep his head up.
Lindros was his own worst enemy. He was reckless out there like a bull in a China shop running over everyone. He was unaware if his surroundings. Most times that approach worked for him because he was bigger and stronger than most players but on occasion he would meet up with a player just as solid.
Some hits aren't even by design. They are accidental. Like when Crosby got hit by Steckel. Steckel was skating up ice not even looking at Crosby and Crosby turned right into Steckel. Pens fans would probably debate that but that's what happened.
I've even seen guys get hurt running into their own players. Pat Lafontaine sustained a serious concussion in a collision with a team mate.
It is a fast game. Players have to be aware of what is going on around them.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Not that I fully agree with doing this but I don't think it would kill hockey or any other over reactionary bullshit. Women's hockey has minimal contact and it's fine (yes I know they have contact but they aren't body checking the same way). If anything, it could help hockey leading to the game becoming more offensive. Goals and players chasing records wins fans.

And hockey is too much of a niche sport at this point and the NHL's grip on it is too firmly planted to worry about a competitor again sadly so they could do it without a loss imo.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Not that I fully agree with doing this but I don't think it would kill hockey or any other over reactionary bull****. Women's hockey has minimal contact and it's fine (yes I know they have contact but they aren't body checking the same way). If anything, it could help hockey leading to the game becoming more offensive. Goals and players chasing records wins fans.

And hockey is too much of a niche sport at this point and the NHL's grip on it is too firmly planted to worry about a competitor again sadly so they could do it without a loss imo.

I think you need to seriously ask yourself how many people are watching an 82 game season of womens hockey. Sure, people tune in when the olympics roll around and when Canada plays USA but they would hardly support a league.

Hockey could still exist without contact but the league would be a shadow of its former self. Ticket prices, profits and salaries would plummet. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it caused the league to fold within 5 years if Lindros got his way

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
What's odd about the article is there's not really a direct quote of Lindros saying this. He somewhat references it in how he still has fun playing today without contact.

Was this just an off-handed comment that they're blowing out of proportion? Or is he genuinely advocating that the NHL actually become the No Hit League?

Yes all this talk and I can't find the quote in context either. Maybe part of a video interview?

Even Women's hockey has contact.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I would say that what Lindros said was taken out of context. He tweeted after the article that he supports body contact in professional leagues and high level amateur leagues, but feels that players in youth leagues and older players who are non-pros should have options available to them that are non-contact - kind of like the league he is currently enjoying playing in.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not that I fully agree with doing this but I don't think it would kill hockey or any other over reactionary bull****. Women's hockey has minimal contact and it's fine (yes I know they have contact but they aren't body checking the same way). If anything, it could help hockey leading to the game becoming more offensive. Goals and players chasing records wins fans.

The NHL would be done in a matter of months.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm all for getting head shots out of hockey but this is a contact sport. Nobody is forcing you to play. You don't like It? Go play in a seniors beer league.

This is my view on it. I'm completely 100% on board if the NHL decides that any sort of head contact is penalized, but I'm not in favor of eliminating all forms of body contact.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Lindros?....Eric Lindros?.....seriously, I can't believe he would take such a hypocritical position! This must be false.
Even if true,then by all means Eric,start your own' no- hit ' league and see how you make out. Sponsors like Charmin,Tampax, FDS would likely sign on! Maybe the players could all wear those bubble suits that look like so much fun...I would pay to see that once anyway!
No way he said this! The guy was a crusher! The memorable hit by Stevens was only one altercation between them,I saw him cream Stevens into the boards as well..Lindros dished it out as well!

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad