Sportsnet: Linden: "The Sedins aren't going anywhere at the deadline"

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
It was definitely a huge plus that COL offered him a big long term deal, but he also had expectations of the team winning.

If the Sedins staying in Vancouver was really all about them wanting to push the organization forward and help it, I'd agree with you. I just don't think that's why they want to stay, and I respect Iginla more for going for it with another team.

My take, we disagree.

so what is it really all about?

member 290103

so what is it really all about?

I believe they don't want to leave because they are just comfortable in Vancouver. It's because they don't want to disrupt their kids at school, move their wives out of the communities they are used to, relocate to new houses, etc.

Like I said, that's their right, they have earned it, I just get sick of hearing how admirable it is that they are sticking it out in Vancouver. I don't see anything admirable about it.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
I believe they don't want to leave because they are just comfortable in Vancouver. It's because they don't want to disrupt their kids at school, move their wives out of the communities they are used to, relocate to new houses, etc.

Like I said, that's their right, they have earned it, I just get sick of hearing how admirable it is that they are sticking it out in Vancouver. I don't see anything admirable about it.

but it would be 'admirable' if they did all of the aforementioned just for a lets say... 10% chance at winning the cup?

like i mentioned earlier, you don't have to think it's admirable, but to say they don't care about winning and what IGINLA did was admirable is just flat-out laughable.

member 290103

but it would be 'admirable' if they did all of the aforementioned just for a lets say... 10% chance at winning the cup?

like i mentioned earlier, you don't have to think it's admirable, but to say they don't care about winning and what IGINLA did was admirable is just flat-out laughable.

I just don't agree. I think Iginla's motivation was to find a long term contract with a team that would enable him a chance to win. You are suggesting he just took the first big money deal that came along and could care less about winning. Nothing about him has ever given me that any sense that he is anything like that. When he agreed to be moved out of Calgary, he went to Pittsburgh, for the sole purpose of winning. When that did not work, he went to Boston for the same reason. The Boston deal was for one year, right? If he was all about money, are you saying he could not have got a multi year deal for more money somewhere else?

We'll agree to disagree here.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The Canucks management is even worse than we thought if they manage to not get anything for the Sedins.

I understand being loyal to two of your franchise's best players (who have never won anything of note), but you need to move them and take anything, even if it is a bag of flashy new rubbery pucks.

If the Sedins don't asked to get moved, I would take that as a slap in the face as fans of the franchise and shows they dont care about winning at all to any future team that may want them.

Twins have said many times that they don't want to go anywhere. So, makes no difference. They hold the hammer with the NMC.

I do agree that it is management's duty to at the very least ask if they would consider a deal sometime in early 2018 just in case they do change their minds. If they still say no, then I would put it to rest.

I do however, hope this is the final year that they are on the roster. It's time to move on. It would also say how poorly the rebuild is going that after 5 NHL drafts (2014 - 2018) by this management group, that the team isn't ready to move on from the twins, since they also acquired vets like Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner up front. Time has to arrive when in 2018 youngsters like Goldy turn 23, Virtanen and Gaudette turn 22, Dahlen turns 21 that they can't eat up the final 2 top 9 roster spots with the remaining 4 spots going to Bo, Brock, Sven, and Granlund.

member 290103

Twins have said many times that they don't want to go anywhere. So, makes no difference. They hold the hammer with the NMC.

I do agree that it is management's duty to at the very least ask if they would consider a deal sometime in early 2018 just in case they do change their minds. If they still say no, then I would put it to rest.

I do however, hope this is the final year that they are on the roster. It's time to move on. It would also say how poorly the rebuild is going that after 5 NHL drafts (2014 - 2018) by this management group, that the team isn't ready to move on from the twins, since they also acquired vets like Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner up front. Time has to arrive when in 2018 youngsters like Goldy turn 23, Virtanen and Gaudette turn 22, Dahlen turns 21 that they can't eat up the final 2 top 9 roster spots with the remaining 4 spots going to Bo, Brock, Sven, and Granlund.

to me, in a perfect world, the Canucks would just bomb this year, the Twins would retire and Benning/Linden would be turfed. A new GM would come in and clear out the garbage and rebuild properly.

The Twins are done. They were horrendous last year and they are not going to magically turn things around being only 2 years away from 40 instead of 3.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I wonder how much of it is them just being comfortable in Vancouver, not wanting to uproot their kids and wives, not wanting to integrate into a new community, not wanting to disrupt their lives, etc

I just don't see it being this grand idealistic motivation to stick around to help the young kids and turn Vancouver into being a winner. They are not morons. They know this team is nowhere close to winning and won't be, before their careers are over.

Either way, they have earned the right for their reason to be the former, but I get tired of hearing it being their dedication to the Canucks and winning in Vancouver as being their motivation to stay.

They have many motivations to stay and really, it's not that surprising why. There are many factors that staying in Vancouver is a fine decision for them and they've earned that right. :dunno:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Year in and year out, teams give up assets for rentals. Sedin's for prospects and picks might not be an immediate help, but I can't see how they'd be better off keeping the Sedin's and NOT making the playoffs.

If the Sedin's aren't in the plans, management isn't doing their job NOT exploring it.

Pretty hard to explore something that can't and won't happen.

member 290103

They have many motivations to stay and really, it's not that surprising why. There are many factors that staying in Vancouver is a fine decision for them and they've earned that right. :dunno:

I agree completely. It's just that this is aggravating to me, and I think people should stop applauding their decision as though they are sacrificing for the sake of loyalty to the Canucks.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I agree completely. It's just that this is aggravating to me, and I think people should stop applauding their decision as though they are sacrificing for the sake of loyalty to the Canucks.

I don't think they are sacrificing anything. Only people who have an issue with them staying think they are sacrificing their entire careers by not leaving for a Cup, and are making it a big issue. Yes, I am exaggerating, but that's what some are making it out to be, like their entire careers are being judged on not chasing a Cup. They want to stay, they love this city. Their morning routines show how much they love it here, I mean, they were basically born here and have spent as much time here as back home in Sweden. :laugh:

They are most definitely comfortable, and when you are 36 years old, why do you need a change now? It's pretty easy when you are Drew Doughty, single, and have no kids with nothing holding you back in that city. The time to trade them was like 3-4 years ago...that would've made a lot more sense than now. That way they could at least stay in the city they are traded too for 3-4 years, plus there value would've been higher.

Now it's just like....why? So we can get maybe a couple draft picks Benning can screw up on anyways, and then absolutely nobody wins in this situation?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think this has more to do with the Series being content in Vancouver, having families there, and their wives must have a good thing going. Nothing wrong with contentment

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
I think this has more to do with the Series being content in Vancouver, having families there, and their wives must have a good thing going. Nothing wrong with contentment

Also what contender is taking on $14 million for where the Sedin's are at now (10.5 million if they use their last retention for 50% of one of them).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think they are sacrificing anything. Only people who have an issue with them staying think they are sacrificing their entire careers by not leaving for a Cup, and are making it a big issue. Yes, I am exaggerating, but that's what some are making it out to be, like their entire careers are being judged on not chasing a Cup. They want to stay, they love this city. Their morning routines show how much they love it here, I mean, they were basically born here and have spent as much time here as back home in Sweden. :laugh:

They are most definitely comfortable, and when you are 36 years old, why do you need a change now? It's pretty easy when you are Drew Doughty, single, and have no kids with nothing holding you back in that city. The time to trade them was like 3-4 years ago...that would've made a lot more sense than now. That way they could at least stay in the city they are traded too for 3-4 years, plus there value would've been higher.

Now it's just like....why? So we can get maybe a couple draft picks Benning can screw up on anyways, and then absolutely nobody wins in this situation?

Which is it with you guys? Is Benning drafting better now or is he still screwing it up, because it seems like you guys aren't even sure.

And again, if you can get assets for 2 guys that had 1 real shot at the cup their entire career, you do it, especially when you are looking to rebuild your team and restock the prospect pool.

Detroit should actually be doing the same thing. You know, if Zetterberg didn't just admit to his contract being cap circumvention.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
to me, in a perfect world, the Canucks would just bomb this year, the Twins would retire and Benning/Linden would be turfed. A new GM would come in and clear out the garbage and rebuild properly.

The Twins are done. They were horrendous last year and they are not going to magically turn things around being only 2 years away from 40 instead of 3.

well your not even a Nucks fan anyways, so why does it matter to you?

A new GM would come in and clear out the garbage and rebuild properly
:shakehead:shakehead

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Which is it with you guys? Is Benning drafting better now or is he still screwing it up, because it seems like you guys aren't even sure.

And again, if you can get assets for 2 guys that had 1 real shot at the cup their entire career, you do it, especially when you are looking to rebuild your team and restock the prospect pool.

Detroit should actually be doing the same thing. You know, if Zetterberg didn't just admit to his contract being cap circumvention.

Benning has screwed up the Virtanen pick, and arguably the Juolevi pick, which i still up in the air but not trending well. Of course we "aren't even sure", you realize Vancouver is a big fanbase, and there's obviously going to be differing opinions. Good majority of HFCanucks doesn't like Benning's drafting and he has screwed up the most important picks of them all.

They don't care if they will only have one shot at a Cup because again......they don't want to win it with any other team as it wouldn't feel as good as it would to win it for the city of Vancouver.

I don't have any confidence in Benning to even make this deal and retrieve full value of what they have left anyways.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The only narrative I would like to see is the Sedins getting their wish and playing out their careers here in Vancouver. Who cares? They are done and on a bad team. It's almost moot. The only reason I want it is so they can retire and move immediately into upper management and displace some of the clowns.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Why do you state this keeps getting "better" when he fails? The guy gutted it out and stuck around in Calgary forever, waiting for them to turn things around.

Nothing but huge respect for this player. The fact that he kept trying to put himself in a position to win a cup is admirable. Certainly more admirable than a couple of washed up Swedes that refuse to move on from their 31st place team because they don't care about winning. When Iginla signed in Colorado they were looked at as being a team on the cusp of contending. It's not like he just took the money and went to the team they are now.

To be happy to see him fail is very odd.

I dont know man i lost all respect for him after the trade to Pitts. All the talking he did about loving Calgary, and the media making this guy out to be so classy, such a great captain. Yea ok. As i recall Calgary had a trade with Boston ready except Iginla declined last second and said he would only go to Pitts. So Calgary was forced to trade him to Pitts for much worse package. And i love what happened that Spring. Boston kicked Pitts ass and Iginla didn't get his cup. I love the irony in hockey. Both teams that this so called classy guy screwed over (Boston, Calgary) were and still are better off without this guy.
I hope he keeps bouncing from team to team and never even gets a chance to play for a cup again.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
That's fair. It is their right and it was never going to be an easy move anyways. Things can still change and not much more to say here.

Let's see Daniel get his 1000th point here. Something to look forward to.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
A lot of people throw out the rebuilding thing like it's easy. Most teams don't start doing that until they're forced to. Every team knows they can easily get lost in the shuffle for years on end, with no guarantee that a rebuilding effort works. Most teams will hang onto any shred of competitiveness until it's ripped away. Most teams don't trade big name guys, even if they're old. Assuming they can trade them, what with all the NMC's out there these days. Every team wants to sell a few more tickets too.

Whether Iginla is chasing Cups, or whether the Sedins are content to quietly play out the string with a bad team, players will make the choices they make, for their own reasons. Teams then have to work around that.

The Sedins saying they don't want to go anywhere regardless of the circumstance, that leaves Canucks management with less leverage, and they just have to make the best of it. It's why they sign someone like Vanek. Who knows, maybe he helps the Canucks be competitive in the potential last year of the Sedins, or, they can probably get something for him at the deadline, to somewhat make up for the lack of being able to trade the Sedins.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
the Canucks knew last year the Sedins were going nowhere when they retained on Hansen.

I can see it both ways -- would love to get something for them at the deadline and maybe see them chase a cup, but can understand why they won't.

A lot of puffery in this thread about whether this path or Iginla's is to be decried ...but I see them equally valid. These guys have earned the right to choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad