Liljegren or Valimaki?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Why is this not really close? I want actual reasonings, not your opinion. I'm genuinely curious.

As of today, one player has trended much better than the other. It would be foolish to gamble on the other player with the information we currently have. That doesn’t mean the other player might not pan out, but Valimaki is the much more known commodity at this time that has a very high ceiling.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
So because Valimaki has 8 NHL games under his belt as a 3rd pairing defensemen, the sky is he limit and he is the known commodity. Really sound logic...o_O

One could have said the exact opposite after last season. Liljegren was playing pro hockey, at 18, in a top 4 role on the Calder Cup championship team.
Valimaki was playing in the WHL. Don't really see how his floor is so much higher than Lil. If anything, after last season Liljegren's floor was much higher than Valimaki.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I find it weird how much Valimaki is being hyped and Andersson who I think has been better is being ignored.

Don't get me wrong, fantastic start for Valimaki and he's 2 years younger but Andersson has outplayed him.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
As of today, one player has trended much better than the other. It would be foolish to gamble on the other player with the information we currently have. That doesn’t mean the other player might not pan out, but Valimaki is the much more known commodity at this time that has a very high ceiling.

Based on what exactly? Everyone knew Liljegren was very raw but his skillset was elite. Just because the Leafs are taking their time with him and developing him for a future top 4 role instead of him getting few minutes on the bottom pair or the press box ONE season after their draft means nothing.

Like another poster said, shades of Bennett and Nylander when willy was being brought along slowly. Liljegren looked awesome in pre-season but they would rather him develop as a #1 D for the Marlies than give him 3rd pairing minutes at this stage. He still has stuff to learn in the AHL, like being the #1 PKer and PP D and shutting down top lines. He might still be two years away.

But with D, judging this early is foolish. This poll makes no sense as no one has watched Liljegren this year I guarantee it ( I bet even most Leaf fans haven't) and the other has 8 NHL games.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Pretty similar ceiling in different ways. I think this one is pretty even. Valimaki is more NHL ready but that doesnt have a huge bearing on where they end up.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Based on what exactly? Everyone knew Liljegren was very raw but his skillset was elite. Just because the Leafs are taking their time with him and developing him for a future top 4 role instead of him getting few minutes on the bottom pair or the press box ONE season after their draft means nothing.

Like another poster said, shades of Bennett and Nylander when willy was being brought along slowly. Liljegren looked awesome in pre-season but they would rather him develop as a #1 D for the Marlies than give him 3rd pairing minutes at this stage. He still has stuff to learn in the AHL, like being the #1 PKer and PP D and shutting down top lines. He might still be two years away.

But with D, judging this early is foolish. This poll makes no sense as no one has watched Liljegren this year I guarantee it ( I bet even most Leaf fans haven't) and the other has 8 NHL games.

Valimaki is getting 15 mins a night in the nhl with occassional pk time, so he's being developed just fine.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Again anyone with common sense would not take Liljegren over Valimaki at this stage. I don’t know how else to explain it.

Like for a game tomorrow? Sure. Long term? I would disagree strongly. I guess we need clarification from OP if they mean now or going forward, but to me given their ages, it is implied going forward, while you seem to be evaluating based on current play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad