As of today:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santorelli
Komarov - Kontiola - Clarkson
Ashton - Holland - Frattin

Phaneuf - Robidas
Rielly - Polak
Gardiner - Granberg

(Gardiner and Phaneuf will also play together often)

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
i dont think the leafs are done yet. :)
all the lineups on here are todays lineups, not the start of the season.
wait till the mid of aug. than we can guess.

I'm really happy with our forward group.

I hope we can add one more defender and a back up goalie. Hopefully a trade involving Franson and probably Reimer (though I'm fine with Reimer playing back-up for us).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
If I'm coaching, this is what I start with...

James van Reimsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul - Nazem Kadri - Matt Frattin
Leo Komarov - Mike Santorelli - David Clarkson
Carter Ashton - Peter Holland - Troy Bodie
Petri Kontiola

Jake Gardiner - Dion Phaneuf
Morgan Rielly - Stephane Robidas
Stuart Percy - Roman Polak
Cody Franson

Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer​

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Nylander comes to camp and makes it impossible to send him to the AHL by putting in an incredible show in preseason games, and shows he can handle the larger players....

Code:
Lupul.          Bozak.         Kessel
JVR.            Nylander.      Kadri
Komarov     Santorelli.     Kontiola
Frattin.        Holland.       Clarkson

Rielly.          Phaneuf 
         Gardiner.      Robidas
         Granberg.     Polak

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
This roster makes me want to throw up. How many years before this team puts together a roster that can actually compete?

mikebel111*

This roster makes me want to throw up. How many years before this team puts together a roster that can actually compete?

How is that a bad roster? Its decent and at least will show effort

Seriously no idea how someone can call that a bad line up

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
If I'm coaching, this is what I start with...

James van Reimsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul - Nazem Kadri - Matt Frattin
Leo Komarov - Mike Santorelli - David Clarkson
Carter Ashton - Peter Holland - Troy Bodie
Petri Kontiola

Jake Gardiner - Dion Phaneuf
Morgan Rielly - Stephane Robidas
Stuart Percy - Roman Polak
Cody Franson

Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer​

Kontiola > Bodie.

Santorelli will play W.

Kontiola will play 2nd or 3rd line centre.

Kontiola could easily show that he's better than Santorelli and Frattin by the start of camp.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kontiola > Bodie.

Based on what? 37 points in the KHL?

Santorelli will play W.

He might, but that's not where I would put him.

Kontiola will play 2nd or 3rd line centre.

Kontiola could easily show that he's better than Santorelli and Frattin by the start of camp.

Kontiola looks to be a skilled guy, but I'll wait for him to prove himself in NHL traffic before I write him into the line-up.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Based on what? 37 points in the KHL?

Based on the fact that Kontiola is an Olympian and destroyed the World Championships and Bodie is nothing more than a 4th line grinder.

He might, but that's not where I would put him.

Kontiola looks to be a skilled guy, but I'll wait for him to prove himself in NHL traffic before I write him into the line-up.

Stuart Percy has 0 NHL games and you have him playing over Cody Franson.

What happened to "wait and see"?

Tyler Biggs*

Santorelli is a nice 3rd line center who can play wing if either Holland or Kontiola look strong. My take is that Santorelli will run with this and the real roster spot fight is between Kontiola and Holland. Someone is going to the Marlies. This deal also means Nylander has no chance of being on this team, other then 4th line which never makes sense when you want to get a young player ice time.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Based on the fact that Kontiola is an Olympian and destroyed the World Championships and Bodie is nothing more than a 4th line grinder.

He's not really competing for Bodie's spot in the lineup though. Bodies brings a specific set of skills I want.

Kontiola is competing against Santorelli, who could move into Frattin's spot if Konriola takes the 3rd centre spot.

Stuart Percy has 0 NHL games and you have him playing over Cody Franson.

What happened to "wait and see"?

Again, they are not competing for the same roster spot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Santorelli is a nice 3rd line center who can play wing if either Holland or Kontiola look strong. My take is that Santorelli will run with this and the real roster spot fight is between Kontiola and Holland. Someone is going to the Marlies. This deal also means Nylander has no chance of being on this team, other then 4th line which never makes sense when you want to get a young player ice time.

I think Matt Frattin is also in this picture.

Santorelli, Holland, and Kontiola will battle for the 3rd line spot in camp and he losers drop to the 4th line competition.

However as you say Santo can also play wing and so if he moves over to the right wing he will battle Clarkson and Frattin as spots behind Kessel on that side potentially. This is also Nylander's competition as well.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Just paint Kontiola into the lineup. An elite euro player like him did not cross over at the age of 29 just to play in the AHL. And the Leafs management did not sign him for that, so you can expect them to give him a plenty rope to prove himself. Not saying they should be stubborn about it, though. If it all fails, he'll just go back to Europe.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

The bottom two lines could easily be lines that belong in the AHL. We're counting on a 37 year old guy that missed most of the season with a broken leg to fix our D problems. And who plays on the PK? The Leafs lost all of their PK guys. This is a very bad team as it stands right now.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm reading everyone's different roster suggestions, and the only thing consistent with all of them?

This is a non-playoff team.

No doubt about it.

That bottom 6 is terribly weak, and that blue line hasn't been improved.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm reading everyone's different roster suggestions, and the only thing consistent with all of them?

This is a non-playoff team.

No doubt about it.

That bottom 6 is terribly weak, and that blue line hasn't been improved.

Bottom 6's overall weakness is kind of up in the air. It's tough to predict what guys like Santorelli, Kontiola, Holland, etc. can even do. This team is the picture of unpredictability.

However, defensive acumen was our greatest weakness by far going in to the offseason, and it remains our greatest weakness now.

Tough to predict a jump in the standings, as it depends pretty heavily on a development curve that is impossible to predict.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Bottom 6's overall weakness is kind of up in the air. It's tough to predict what guys like Santorelli, Kontiola, Holland, etc. can even do. This team is the picture of unpredictability.

However, defensive acumen was our greatest weakness by far going in to the offseason, and it remains our greatest weakness now.

Tough to predict a jump in the standings, as it depends pretty heavily on a development curve that is impossible to predict.

I don't think that development curve is all that impossible to predict.

You can look at individual players on this roster:

1 - Gardiner; I think he will have a better year. More ice time and more support from the organization will help him.

2 - Bernier; still very much an unknown. Not a great sample size, and I think it's crazy to think he's going to repeat a .922 SV% next year.

3 - Kadri; 50 point guy. Can he do more? Marginally, perhaps.

4 - Reilly; Sophomore year, though I think he will be helped with a steadier right handed partner in either Polak or Robidas.

If you look at those 4 players and their likely projections, you hve to ask yourself - does all of that fix the Leafs defensive & neutral ice problems?

THe answer is no.

This team is not a playoff team.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't think that development curve is all that impossible to predict.

You can look at individual players on this roster:

1 - Gardiner; I think he will have a better year. More ice time and more support from the organization will help him.

2 - Bernier; still very much an unknown. Not a great sample size, and I think it's crazy to think he's going to repeat a .922 SV% next year.

3 - Kadri; 50 point guy. Can he do more? Marginally, perhaps.

4 - Reilly; Sophomore year, though I think he will be helped with a steadier right handed partner in either Polak or Robidas.

If you look at those 4 players and their likely projections, you hve to ask yourself - does all of that fix the Leafs defensive & neutral ice problems?

THe answer is no.

This team is not a playoff team.

That's not really what I meant by predicting.

What I mean to say is the development curve is unpredictable in the sense that there is no real scientific method to predict it, based on hard evidence. The best we've got is gut feelings and speculation.

Now, you are right that there are reasonable and unreasonable expectations, but sometimes the unreasonable expectations become a reality, and conversely, sometimes the reasonable expectations fall far short.

All that said, I agree with you - I'm guessing the defensive weaknesses persist and the Leafs end up as a non-playoff team. But that is what it is: a guess.

On paper, I don't think they have improved - but when you factor in the number of "low risk, high reward" signings and the young players on the team, "on paper" is tough to gauge to begin with.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

It's not hard - it's a worse roster than the one we took to Boston for game 7.

Seriously - I have no idea how someone can look at that group of players and be excited / content.

That's an awful hockey team.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Santorelli - Kontiola - Clarkson
Komarov - Holland - Aston
Bodie

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Rielly - Polak
Robidas - Granberg/Percy

Bernier