NESN Like it or not sports betting ads will soon dominate NESN

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Is advertising really necessary to sell gamblers on gambling?

Here's my take -- from a personal perspective. My wife casually watches whatever game I'm watching, while online shopping, surfing the net etc. She enjoys going to Bruins and Sox games, but probably wouldn't watch a regular season game of either team if I weren't home watching.

Every year two things happen though:

1. The Superbowl --- where she wants me to buy as many squares as I can, and she wants to make prop bets online.

2. The Kentucky Derby ---- She bets it every year and never watches another horse race until the next Derby.

I have no idea if the numbers back this up, but I'm thinking that these are the people they are targeting through ads and who knows, maybe next year she's betting SB, Derby and NCAA Tourney?

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Here's my take -- from a personal perspective. My wife casually watches whatever game I'm watching, while online shopping, surfing the net etc. She enjoys going to Bruins and Sox games, but probably wouldn't watch a regular season game of either team if I weren't home watching.

Every year two things happen though:

1. The Superbowl --- where she wants me to buy as many squares as I can, and she wants to make prop bets online.

2. The Kentucky Derby ---- She bets it every year and never watches another horse race until the next Derby.

I have no idea if the numbers back this up, but I'm thinking that these are the people they are targeting through ads and who knows, maybe next year she's betting SB, Derby and NCAA Tourney?
I'm a sports bettor. I do it legally and responsibly, and I do it based on math, research and odds value, not emotion. Can't say I'm wildly successful, but I win more than I lose and I don't bet more than I can afford.

That said, I think there are way too many commercials for sports betting services, half of which are hemorrhaging money and won't be around in 5yrs anyway.

What bothers me more is the content of these commercials that give you $100s of dollars in free bets, and then tout their ability to provide these stupid exotic longshot bets so you can give it right back to them. To me, its the equivalent of a dealer giving someone a free taste of a drug, in the hopes that they come back for more. I find that unseemly. The new PointsBet commercial, with Paige Spiranac gyrating on the putting green is especially idiotic. Then of course, every once in a while they'll release a commercial about responsible gaming, entirely for PR purposes, which is total hypocrisy.

I'm big on personal responsibility and accountability, and if you wanna bet on 7 leg parlays at 18-1 and lose your money, that's entirely on you. That doesn't mean I have to like these adds encouraging it, however.

Last edited:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No one asked my opinion, but I'll give it to you anyways.

I think sports gambling should be legal (it doesn't make sense to me that historically a few select parts of the country and entities have possessed the entire market), but I think the advertisement and promotion of it should be far more regulated.

Very basic example - you can still buy cigarettes, but you can't advertise at all on television anymore (or through numerous other mediums).

You can say it's a matter of free will, but the fact is that gambling at its worst mimics addiction to physical substances in many ways in terms of what's going on in the brain. We went from "gambling is bad" to being hit with a barrage of advertisements throughout in-game presentation and commercials between segments. It's just a total opening of the flood gates with little regard for consequences.

This is a big tangent that will draw laughter, but it sort of reminds me of the whole "free trade" debate when it comes to admitting China into the WTO. The floodgates were open and we got a predictable onslaught of cheaper and cheaper consumer products which looked good for a bit. All great until you realize it's eating away at something foundational that is terrible for society in the long term.

As someone who likes to bet on sports I 100% agree with all of this.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For me I separate the issue of advertising during normal commercial time, and segments within the broadcast about sports gambling.

While I don't particularly like the amount of sports gambling ads aired during commercial time, these networks need ad revenue to survive. And to generate ad revenue you need organizations who are willing to buy advertising time on your network. And if most of those ad customers are sports gambling sites, then it is what it is. No different than beer/alcohol companies, or any legitimate organization with a message to get out.

As for segments within the broadcast focused on sports gambling, the odds, the moneyline, etc. There is absolutely no need for those segments on what I consider a family friendly form of entertainment (professional sports) on what should be a family friendly broadcast.

When I go to a local pro hockey game in my neck of the woods, it's mostly families and kids in attendance. Back when HNIC was called "Molson Hockey Night in Canada", you didn't see Ron and Don tossing back a couple cold Molsons on Coaches Corner, despite the heavy sponsorship of the broadcast. NHL broadcasts to me should essentially be "G-rated" and on a "G-rated" program, I don't think sports gambling segments belong.

And lets be honest, for the sports gambling crowd (no disrespect, to each their own) their are many, many places online to dive into all things sports gambling to scratch their itch for more sports gambling information and data.

Reactions: sooshii

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Are we really comparing a gambling addiction to eating too much candy? Is that seriously happening? Is that a hill people are actually planting a flag on?
my post was in response to a couple that, to me, sounded like sugar is harmless.

I hate all the gambling ads, and i REALLY hate how it's taking over the studio stuff, especially in the NFL. So i'm certainly not defending the gambling industry, but to brush of the harm done by sugar/pop/fast food because no one goes broke from it isn't a great look either

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Are we really comparing a gambling addiction to eating too much candy? Is that seriously happening? Is that a hill people are actually planting a flag on?
Lets see. Eating to much candy that can cause obesity that leads to heart disease, diabetes and other life threatening conditions. Sounds valid to me. Addiction is addiction that leads to problems in life.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
my post was in response to a couple that, to me, sounded like sugar is harmless.

I hate all the gambling ads, and i REALLY hate how it's taking over the studio stuff, especially in the NFL. So i'm certainly not defending the gambling industry, but to brush of the harm done by sugar/pop/fast food because no one goes broke from it isn't a great look either

Okay, I guess we are. Or at least you guys are. I'll let people with more patience continue to explain the obvious differences between advertising for gambling and candy.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Okay, I guess we are. Or at least you guys are. I'll let people with more patience continue to explain the obvious differences between advertising for gambling and candy.

Harmful and addictive things are advertised all the time, there's a personal responsibility component to consuming them at a healthy level.

It's funny how you're ignoring the fact that the single biggest health crisis facing the country is obesity and its associated health issues.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

There was a time when the worst you had to fear from Hockey Night in Canada was Ron MacLean. Or Don Cherry, take your pick.

No longer. The Saturday evening tussle between the Canadiens and the Edmonton Oilers marked the first time this season I’ve watched a hockey game on the CBC, and I felt like I’d hopped a flight to Las Vegas and landed in the midst of the MGM Grand Race & Sports Book.

Wall-to-wall gambling ads doesn’t even cover it. There were times when the face of the oleaginous Cabbie would appear to offer in-game updates or various betting parlays. Almost overnight, Hockey Night in Canada, one of our most sacred institutions, has become a gambling website. It’s not even NHL hockey — it’s FanDuel hockey.

HNIC isn’t alone. The wholesale takeover of the sports world by gambling interests has completely altered the simple experience of watching the game with your family on a Saturday night. ESPN, TSN, Sportsnet, TVA, now the CBC — they’re all in it, and the experience is the same whether you’re watching the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB or (for all I know) professional lacrosse.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I'm a sports bettor. I do it legally and responsibly, and I do it based on math, research and odds value, not emotion. Can't say I'm wildly successful, but I win more than I lose and I don't bet more than I can afford.

That said, I think there are way too many commercials for sports betting services, half of which are hemorrhaging money and won't be around in 5yrs anyway.

What bothers me more is the content of these commercials that give you $100s of dollars in free bets, and then tout their ability to provide these stupid exotic longshot bets so you can give it right back to them. To me, its the equivalent of a dealer giving someone a free taste of a drug, in the hopes that they come back for more. I find that unseemly. The new PointsBet commercial, with Paige Spiranac gyrating on the putting green is especially idiotic. Then of course, every once in a while they'll release a commercial about responsible gaming, entirely for PR purposes, which is total hypocrisy.

I'm big on personal responsibility and accountability, and if you wanna bet on 7 leg parlays at 18-1 and lose your money, that's entirely on you. That doesn't mean I have to like these adds encouraging it, however.
Excellent post. You described exactly how they operate.

Reactions: RoccoF14

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I wish I could gamble on sports here but the Indian lobby bought off the state house and misinformed and confused voters when it went to the ballot by putting two separate and contradictory propositions up for vote, both of which failed as a result.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Same as every other industry, its about reaching and getting new customers. No one advertises for people already buying their product
But soon you will have many companies offering the same service and each will have enticements for people to try them.

Look at NESN's schedule for today

7:00amFollow the Money
5:30pmNESN Ultimate Betting ShowLIVE

I wish I could gamble on sports here but the Indian lobby bought off the state house and misinformed and confused voters when it went to the ballot by putting two separate and contradictory propositions up for vote, both of which failed as a result.

The Indian lobby was funded by that little town 4 hours east on the I-15

Reactions: McGarnagle

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

This this this. A much more precise post that sums up my opinion as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad