Liiga 2016-2017 General Talk

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Saturday spectators in two big markets :help:

Tappara - KalPa: 3994

That is horrible number for Arena like Hakametsä. Besides, KalPa plays nice Virta hockey again and is one of the best teams in the league ;)

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lots of referees and headcoaches aren't happy with Liiga's Referee Supervisor Arto I. Järvelä:

Just one link, there is plenty more
http://yle.fi/urheilu/sm-liigan_paa..._-_vuorovaikutus_on_jaanyt_80-luvulle/7480583

"Interaction has been left to the 80's"

Tyytyv%C3%A4isyys+SM-liigan+erotuomarijohtoon

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
You get pp-time! You get pp-time! Everybody gets pp-time!

Easy 3-0 win for HIFK against a lifeless Ässät with new lines, that did not work. Ugh...

At least Riksman in goal seemed solid, which was a nice surprise after the troubles he had in preseason.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Almost sounds like a natural, only after 4 years here.
Even if the article says that his parents didn't speak him Finnish, I suppose he must have heard some from them. I don't think he started completely from scratch. As a matter of fact, there's a heavy indicator that even if he didn't speak any, he understood quite well.

Still, you can clearly hear that he's grown in a place where Finnish isn't commonplace.

Last edited:

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Liiga matches

Hi, I'll be in Finland for a short holiday and I intend to see a couple of Liiga matches and maybe Mestis.

The dilemma that I'm having at the moment is about Espoo Blues match on 14th of October. I've bought a ticket to go to see Finland vs Romania (football Euro 2016 qualifier), but because there are some hockey matches on that Tuesday, I'd like to combine this with football. I'm wondering if I could get in time using the public transport from Barona Areena to the Olympic Stadium (if there is such thing).

I would appreciate any info about this. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Hi, I'll be in Finland for a short holiday and I intend to see a couple of Liiga matches and maybe Mestis.

The dilemma that I'm having at the moment is about Espoo Blues match on 14th of October. I've bought a ticket to go to see Finland vs Romania (football Euro 2016 qualifier), but because there are some hockey matches on that Tuesday, I'd like to combine this with football. I'm wondering if I could get in time using the public transport from Barona Areena to the Olympic Stadium (if there is such thing).

I would appreciate any info about this. Thank you all.

Public transportation is good in general and you can even get to the Olympic Stadium using only one bus (although it takes quite a long time. Whether you can get there on time depends on the timetables, but you should be able to watch at least almost all of the game.

Here's a helpful site where you can search for a suitable route and see the timetables: http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/index.php

loppa*

Quick question... regarding Jokerit's leaving the Finnish league. It has been all around negative for the league I am guessing?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ehh not really any different than before
Indeed. Of course it's still very early to the season but at least this far one can't observe any kind of drop in attendance or general level of play.

It's really not like following Jokerit's mettle in the KHL and your favorite club in Liiga have to be mutually exclusive.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Quick question... regarding Jokerit's leaving the Finnish league. It has been all around negative for the league I am guessing?

Ehh not really any different than before
Only difference I can think of has been with the media. KHL gets a lot more attention than earlier and Liiga consist of more than two teams.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
First 10 minutes of Assat/Sport looked promising, after that it's been a free-for-all against Toivonen. Have to say, he's been a lot better than I expected so far this year.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Now a 3-2-win against Ilves even with Rinne having his worst game this season.

8 games, 4 reg.wins, 2 ot/so-wins, 2 losses, 20 goals scored, 13 goals allowed, PP% 14,29, PK% 89,80, 16 points

Has gone as well as one could expect for this team. Defensive system looks mostly solid just like Rinne, and then the offense tries to help out with 2 or 3 goals if possible.

Fun fact: Tuomas Huhtanen now the best goalscorer of Ässät atm with 3 goals (2 in his last 2 games)

Oh, and that Sport-Kärpät game looked quite ugly from what I saw. 0-4 was kind for Sport. A pretty good start, but it's getting kinda ugly at this point.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Now a 3-2-win against Ilves even with Rinne having his worst game this season.

8 games, 4 reg.wins, 2 ot/so-wins, 2 losses, 20 goals scored, 13 goals allowed, PP% 14,29, PK% 89,80, 16 points

Has gone as well as one could expect for this team. Defensive system looks mostly solid just like Rinne, and then the offense tries to help out with 2 or 3 goals if possible.

Fun fact: Tuomas Huhtanen now the best goalscorer of Ässät atm with 3 goals (2 in his last 2 games)

Oh, and that Sport-Kärpät game looked quite ugly from what I saw. 0-4 was kind for Sport. A pretty good start, but it's getting kinda ugly at this point.

How has Allu Saarela looked so far? In my/his hometown, people who know him or work in the local hockey/sports circles pretty much consider him having only a couple of seasons worth of hockey left and being one concussion away from retirement.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
IMO Sport has done as predicted. Ugly against the current top teams (HIFK, SaiPa, Ässät & Kärpät) and a decent chance against the current teams closer to them (JYP, TPS & Blues)

Can't really expect them to challenge the top teams when you have guys like Bertrand and Immonen playing on the 1st line.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
How has Allu Saarela looked so far? In my/his hometown, people who know him or work in the local hockey/sports circles pretty much consider him having only a couple of seasons worth of hockey and being one concussion away from retirement.
Saarela has been playing good hockey overall while getting icetime also on the pp and pk. His wingers lacking finish on chances which Saarela creates and him also having a bit of a monkey on his back on that department are the reasons he isn't scoring all the points. Has broken through some bunches of players also when on the offense and not looking like he's scared or anything.
IMO Sport has done as predicted. Ugly against the current top teams (HIFK, SaiPa, Ässät & Kärpät) and a decent chance against the current teams closer to them (JYP, TPS & Blues)

Can't really expect them to challenge the top teams when you have guys like Bertrand and Immonen playing on the 1st line.
Agreed totally, and I guess playing the night before also had something to do with it in this match.

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
It is so sad what is happening to my beloved Sm-liiga atm. KooKoo will be playing in Liiga next season.. That is something that should be decided in the rink, not in the cabinet.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Public transportation is good in general and you can even get to the Olympic Stadium using only one bus (although it takes quite a long time. Whether you can get there on time depends on the timetables, but you should be able to watch at least almost all of the game.

Here's a helpful site where you can search for a suitable route and see the timetables: http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/index.php

Thank you.

Already bought the ticket for Blues - Lukko on that day:D.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Same like when Finns moved to Sweden back in the days. They felt the kids can adapt to the society better with no Finnish accent.

I have no finnish accent while speaking swedish. And those kids who only got spoken swedish to.. Very few seem to amount to much more than being white trash.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It is so sad what is happening to my beloved Sm-liiga atm. KooKoo will be playing in Liiga next season.. That is something that should be decided in the rink, not in the cabinet.
At the end of the day, there's only a few Mestis teams that could make the jump financial wise. At least it's the right traditional teams that are getting promoted, instead of doing it à la NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad