Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Waltteri Merelä | 1 year ELC

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What

24 yo winger w/ 33 in 41 last year?
There were only 3 players in Liiga last year to hit a point per game. The goal scoring leader had just 27.

The article says it's a one-year deal. Simon Ryfors, basically.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Tappara fan here. I usually have very low expectations when one of our boys goes overseas but i truly have a great feeling about Waltteri Merelä. He's a fast and strong two way player. A very good scorer but he doesn't live of points and works his ass off. Of course not a lock to make the team but he could very well end up being a true gem for your bottom 6. I'm super excited to see him in a Lightning jersey even though i'm a Panthers fan lol.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He was with the national team at the WC last month as one of the youngest players on Finland’s roster. Played only 1 game on the 4th line next to their captain Marko Anttila.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoBoltz56

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not too sure about that. Gritty, pretty fast player who is good 200ft. Wont be a Top6 guy, but a cost-controlled bottom6 player who competes every shift. I see him more suitable for NHL-style play than in Europe.

I you're right. It's just that lately that our minor league team needs all the help it can get and the Lightning might be the hardest team in the NHL to win a job on.

Raymo

Jul 24, 2004
Tampere
Merelä had his wrist cut by a skate in EHT in November, which made him miss some games of the last season.

He has a great attitude and the grit and play style suited for the NA game. PPG in Liiga playoffs and a key part in Tappara winning another title. Great guy, really hope he does well.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I'd be surprised if he won't be on the Bolts roster on the opening night. Looking forward to seeing what Merelä can bring!

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Since we don’t have any draft picks until, oh, the next passing of Halley’s Comet, we can expect signings like these.

Watch for JBB to catch an NCAA free agent and a QMJHL overager too. Often these turn out better than 3rd round picks because you’re usually getting an older guy who you know has a shot.

Reactions: aylib

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad