Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign RD/RW Luke Witkowski | 2 years, $700K, two-way

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Crown Us!

200.gif

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He'd be a great fit to out NHL squad if we were in the middle of a rebuild with a bunch of young guys.

Reactions: DaBolts

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I mean he gives us some flexibility as he can play forward on the bottom-6 and defense on the 3rd. He was okay in that role for us before and now has a few more NHL games under his belt. Former Crunch captain, likes to smash faces and throw his weight around, won’t complain when he’s in the presser and has a great beard. I like it.

Reactions: JDBolt

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yzerman must hate him he got rid of him twice
Yzerman does not seem too concerned about physicality (or lack thereof) on the Red Wings. I guess he's trying to build another finesse team over there. He did the same thing in Tampa and slowly phased out scrappiness and hitting. He got rid of Downie and Malone and did not really replace heavy / frequent hitters like Ohlund or Brewer.

Meanwhile JBB has acknowledged that we didn't have a lot of toughness and sandpaper (outside of maybe Cernak, Paquette and Erne who I wouldn't consider 'heavy players' anyway) and that we got dominated by Columbus' physicality in the playoffs (among other things). The most recent acquisitions of Schenn and Witkowski point that way.

Gotta say, I'm not complaining. When the going gets tough it won't hurt to have a couple guys ready to jump into the lineup to set the tone on the ice and create some space for our skilled players the shift after.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yzerman does not seem too concerned about physicality (or lack thereof) on the Red Wings. I guess he's trying to build another finesse team over there. He did the same thing in Tampa and slowly phased out scrappiness and hitting. He got rid of Downie and Malone and did not really replace heavy / frequent hitters like Ohlund or Brewer.

Meanwhile JBB has acknowledged that we didn't have a lot of toughness and sandpaper (outside of maybe Cernak, Paquette and Erne who I wouldn't consider 'heavy players' anyway) and that we got dominated by Columbus' physicality in the playoffs (among other things). The most recent acquisitions of Schenn and Witkowski point that way.

Gotta say, I'm not complaining. When the going gets tough it won't hurt to have a couple guys ready to jump into the lineup to set the tone on the ice and create some space for our skilled players the shift after.

We had 27 more hits in that series than Columbus. We out hit them every game. This narrative that we are a soft team who were physically dominated needs to end.

As for Witkowski I can't see him making the team and if he does it sucks for Syracuse and would kinda be a waste for him. I don't think he's good enough to be the 12th forward or 7th D. I rather have Martel and Ruuta in the lineup. I like Luke but he needs to be the captain in Syracuse cause we got a lot of young kids and not much in the way of vets. He can be an injury call up but shouldn't play more than 10 games with Tampa over the next two seasons.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We had 27 more hits in that series than Columbus. We out hit them every game. This narrative that we are a soft team who were physically dominated needs to end.
Quantity maybe, but I can't recall a single impactful hit from a Lightning player that changed the tone of the game/series. Remember Miller drilling Lovejoy two times in one shift in the Devils series? The crowd was on their feet and the team pushed even harder afterwards. I'm not saying that's why we got swept but it sure can swing momentum in our way, especially when your coach and star players seem to be out of ideas and the opponent slowly grinds you out of the game and has "bounces going their way".

We also didn't look great in any of the many scrums in that series. A timely gloves drop and subsequent pummeling of an opponent player during a scrum in front of your goalie can also send a message to your team when they're turtling and coasting. Let alone keeping the opponent honest.

Schenn/Witkowski are clearly acquisitions for the playoffs when stuff like that starts to matter. I too don't expect Wit (and to a lesser extend Schenn) to play a lot during the regular season - barring injuries.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Quantity maybe, but I can't recall a single impactful hit from a Lightning player that changed the tone of the game/series. Remember Miller drilling Lovejoy two times in one shift in the Devils series? The crowd was on their feed and the team pushed even harder afterwards. I'm not saying that's why we got swept but it sure can swing momentum in our way, especially when your coach and star players seem to be out of ideas and the opponent slowly grinds you out of the game and has "bounces going their way".

We also didn't look great in any of the many scrums in that series. A timely gloves drop and subsequent pummeling of an opponent player during a scrum in front of your goalie can also send a message to your team when they're turtling and coasting. Let alone keeping the opponent honest.

Schenn/Witkowski are clearly acquisitions for the playoffs when stuff like that starts to matter. I too don't expect Wit (and to a lesser extend Schenn) to play a lot during the regular season - barring injuries.

Very much agree. Team was soft. Need some toughness.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA

Still has Dylan McIlrath if needed. Kid has not looked as good of late as he did early in his AHL/NHL career but that can change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad