Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Evgeni Nabokov (1 year, $1.55 million AAV)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Love this one.

Love it, love it, love it. Good goalie and good mentor. Very capable of 25 solid games.

This is a great deal.

So Yzerman has basically upgraded the Forwards, Defense, and Goal-tending .

This house is Clear.......

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Just wanted to say how jelly i am of your team. Yzergod was my favourite player growing up and is turning into one of my favourite GM's, the guy just gets it, you'll be contenders for the long-haul.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
And me not able to change my username!

Too bad for ol Benni Bishkov

Good signing, I like it. I would imagine the team would play with a lot more confidence in front of him than they did Lindback.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/nabokov-excited-about-joining-lightning/2186797
Veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov said he had a few options during free agency, but once the Lightning called, it became his No. 1 focus.

"It pretty much starts from the top, with Steve Yzerman, the coach, and the depth of the team is going to get better," Nabokov said. "I like the direction of the team is going, with a lot of young guys. There's a lot of talent there."
Though he's played in at least 40 games in each of the last 12 seasons, Nabokov is open to any role, even if that means seeing less action behind starter Ben Bishop.

"Absolutely," Nabokov said. "Anytime my name is called, I'm going to be ready. Obviously I understand my age, and people talk about it. But I don't feel it. Nothing I can do with the situation. At this age, I'm fine with it. I'm still enjoying playing hockey. I still feel like I can help the team achieve a goal so that's why I'm still playing."
When told GM Steve Yzerman hoped he'd be a mentor for prospects Kristers Gudlevskis and Andrei Vasilevskiy, Nabokov said he'd be glad to lead by example and answer any questions they have, but knows the team has a goalie coach. Nabokov has been impressed what he's seen from Tampa Bay as an opponent in recent years, and believes it has a "great chance" to be successful during the regular season and, he hopes, deep in the playoffs.

"It's hard when we play against them," Nabokov said. "With Stamkos as the leader of the team, and the defense and the depth and how young we are. That's what I like. It's not easy to play against when we played (Tampa), and that's what I like about it."

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
Isles fan here... you will love Nabby. He is a great guy and funny. If you have an aftershow he will be a staple. Also if he plays 25-35 games he will be a shutout machine and will put up good numbers. Is good with some rest and is capable of carrying team if Bishop struggles of goes down. His numbers were quite good for playing behind the Isles' HORRENDOUS defense.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Isles fan here... you will love Nabby. He is a great guy and funny. If you have an aftershow he will be a staple. Also if he plays 25-35 games he will be a shutout machine and will put up good numbers. Is good with some rest and is capable of carrying team if Bishop struggles of goes down. His numbers were quite good for playing behind the Isles' HORRENDOUS defense.

After the Lindback nightmare we needed a guy like this, who has the experience. Very excited about this deal. Tampa has improved their defense as well, so should be interesting how Nabby does. Rest is the key, for both guys.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Nabby is going to be great for you guys. He is awesome at coming in cold and playing like he never missed a beat! I remember this past season he was out for awhile when he hurt his groin, his first game back was a shutout! I think that as long as he doesnt majorly regress(which is a possibility at his age), and he plays like he did for the Isles, I would expect somewhere between .910-.915 SV% from him if he plays less than 25 games! Plus you will be privileged to his post-game interviews!

Nabby! Nabby! Nabby! I hope they play him when the bolts come to the coliseum this year!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad