Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Dmitry Semykin to a 3-year, ELC

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by TheDaysOf 04, May 7, 2020.

1. TheDaysOf 04 [ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  2. LightningStrikes Champa Bay Lightning

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Right ooooon!!!! Hockey news!

DistantThunderRep likes this.
  3. TheDaysOf 04 [ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Great news! Glad to finally have Semykin cross the pond!

4. JoVel Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Nice, hockey still exists?

5. VoluntaryDom Formerly DominicBoltsFan / GT CS '24 / Ⓐ / ✞

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    College student
    Tampa FL / Atlanta GA / sometimes Columbus OH
    isnt he the guy who can play F and D?

6. TheDaysOf 04 [ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You're thinking of the right guy, but he only plays D. It was a mistake on his eliteprospects page when we drafted him. They still have him listed as a righty, even though he's a lefty.

7. bov Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I can't pretend to know much about him but every update on his progress throughout the season seemed encouraging. Good for Dmitry!

8. HoseEmDown Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Surprised we were able to sign him so early. Figured he would stay in Russia a little longer. Very excited about him. From the highlights I've seen reminds me a bit of Alexei Emelin, which would be huge if he came close to that. Think he'll be a bit like Masin early on with a strong defensive game, physical play but a bit lacking in offense. Hopefully though he can improve on that because that one of things holding Masin back from having made the jump up yet.

I think this ends any chance of us signing Zuhlsdorf to an ELC. It also might mean Sosunov could be headed across the pond for better opportunities. I can't see him getting into too many Crunch games unless he makes a big jump this offseason. To me I would resign Gaunce and Sieloff for the left side then have Semykin as the 3rd LD. Masin should be up with the big club as the 7th D. If they don't think Masin will be the 7 then don't resign Sieloff and have Masin with the Crunch. On the right you got Witkowski, Thomas and possibly Foote depending on who we resign. Walcott can play a little D if needed too.

9. DistantThunderRep Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Excited to see what he can do. Who are the resident KHL and MHL posters on HF? We should get them in here to give a scouting report.

10. HoseEmDown Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There's a dude who posts highlights of most of the Russian kids but doesn't do a scouting report. So not sure his English is good enough to give us any info.

Caser is his name if you want to hit him up to pos something here.

11. TheDaysOf 04 [ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

google translate:

SKA wishes good luck to Dmitry Semykin.

In the SKA system, the defender played as part of SKA-Varyagov, SKA-1946 and SKA-Neva. In total, the SKA system teams have 95 games and 45 (16 + 29) points scored in the MHL. In the VHL, the defender spent 17 matches and was noted for in one pass.

google translated:

12. Tony Piscotta Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Curious about this one.

True, 19-year-olds sometimes have a tough time cracking the men's and even players two or three years older often see limited minutes in the KHL. But the fact that he has yet to appear in a men's game — as well as the fact that he did not skate for the Russia U18 or U20 teams (unless there were injuries involved) is a bit of a concern.

Anyone who has seen him play have an informed opinion as to his potential?

13. TheDaysOf 04 [ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He has appeared in a men's game. Over the past 2 seasons he's played 13 games for SKA-Neva in the VHL, which is the Russian leagues equivalent to the AHL. Either way, I don't really see it as a problem. Most American or Canadian prospects at that age have little to no professional experience as well. He'll be joining Gabriel Fortier next season, who only has 5 games under his belt with Syracuse from last season.

As far as the international experience, I'm not sure what to make of that. Shalagin and Sosunov (both playing in Orlando) did not play games for any of the Russian national junior teams. 2nd rd pick Volkov only played in the Ivan Hlinka and Canada-Russia Super Series. So interestingly of the last 5 Russians we've drafted, only Lipanov has played in a major iihf tournament, which was the U-18s.

But I'm super interested to see him come over. He's been absent from the past 2 development camps, so I wasn't sure if there was even any interest on his part. I'm sure management if happy to have their 3rd rounder come over too. In simple terms, he's big and mobile, so he fits the mold of what Al Murray and the staff have been targeting in their type of dmen.

Tony Piscotta likes this.