Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Dmitry Semykin to a 3-year, ELC

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I can't pretend to know much about him but every update on his progress throughout the season seemed encouraging. Good for Dmitry!

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Surprised we were able to sign him so early. Figured he would stay in Russia a little longer. Very excited about him. From the highlights I've seen reminds me a bit of Alexei Emelin, which would be huge if he came close to that. Think he'll be a bit like Masin early on with a strong defensive game, physical play but a bit lacking in offense. Hopefully though he can improve on that because that one of things holding Masin back from having made the jump up yet.

I think this ends any chance of us signing Zuhlsdorf to an ELC. It also might mean Sosunov could be headed across the pond for better opportunities. I can't see him getting into too many Crunch games unless he makes a big jump this offseason. To me I would resign Gaunce and Sieloff for the left side then have Semykin as the 3rd LD. Masin should be up with the big club as the 7th D. If they don't think Masin will be the 7 then don't resign Sieloff and have Masin with the Crunch. On the right you got Witkowski, Thomas and possibly Foote depending on who we resign. Walcott can play a little D if needed too.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Excited to see what he can do. Who are the resident KHL and MHL posters on HF? We should get them in here to give a scouting report.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Excited to see what he can do. Who are the resident KHL and MHL posters on HF? We should get them in here to give a scouting report.

There's a dude who posts highlights of most of the Russian kids but doesn't do a scouting report. So not sure his English is good enough to give us any info.

Caser is his name if you want to hit him up to pos something here.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

google translate:

SKA wishes good luck to Dmitry Semykin.

In the SKA system, the defender played as part of SKA-Varyagov, SKA-1946 and SKA-Neva. In total, the SKA system teams have 95 games and 45 (16 + 29) points scored in the MHL. In the VHL, the defender spent 17 matches and was noted for in one pass.

google translated:
“I was offered to stay in SKA, but I had already decided everything for myself a long time ago. Probably, in the St. Petersburg club they got angry with me, but I still did not change my mind.

Am I leaving for money? In no case. In Russia, I would earn more. I want to try myself in North America.
Yes, I know that I’ll have to compete for a place in the AHL club . I see that Mikhail Shalagin and Alexei Lipanov in the Tampa system were in ECHL at all, but this doesn’t scare me at all. I’ll fight, there’s no fear, hockey is the same anyway.

Last season, I played a lot in the MHL , and in the VHL they raised only three matches. Of course, I was not very interested in playing for the youth team.

When they took me to the “tower”, I had good games, but I was again transferred to SKA-1946 . I asked why, but the coach spread his hands. Perhaps just because he did not sign a new contract, ”said Semykin.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Great news! Glad to finally have Semykin cross the pond!

Curious about this one.

True, 19-year-olds sometimes have a tough time cracking the men's and even players two or three years older often see limited minutes in the KHL. But the fact that he has yet to appear in a men's game — as well as the fact that he did not skate for the Russia U18 or U20 teams (unless there were injuries involved) is a bit of a concern.

Anyone who has seen him play have an informed opinion as to his potential?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Curious about this one.

True, 19-year-olds sometimes have a tough time cracking the men's and even players two or three years older often see limited minutes in the KHL. But the fact that he has yet to appear in a men's game — as well as the fact that he did not skate for the Russia U18 or U20 teams (unless there were injuries involved) is a bit of a concern.

Anyone who has seen him play have an informed opinion as to his potential?
He has appeared in a men's game. Over the past 2 seasons he's played 13 games for SKA-Neva in the VHL, which is the Russian leagues equivalent to the AHL. Either way, I don't really see it as a problem. Most American or Canadian prospects at that age have little to no professional experience as well. He'll be joining Gabriel Fortier next season, who only has 5 games under his belt with Syracuse from last season.

As far as the international experience, I'm not sure what to make of that. Shalagin and Sosunov (both playing in Orlando) did not play games for any of the Russian national junior teams. 2nd rd pick Volkov only played in the Ivan Hlinka and Canada-Russia Super Series. So interestingly of the last 5 Russians we've drafted, only Lipanov has played in a major iihf tournament, which was the U-18s.

But I'm super interested to see him come over. He's been absent from the past 2 development camps, so I wasn't sure if there was even any interest on his part. I'm sure management if happy to have their 3rd rounder come over too. In simple terms, he's big and mobile, so he fits the mold of what Al Murray and the staff have been targeting in their type of dmen.

Reactions: Tony Piscotta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad