Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign C Gemel Smith | 1 year, $700K, two-way

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Another signing for Syracuse depth. Filling the roster with some interesting additions.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Most like a Syracuse signing?
Gotta be. He's an average scorer even at the AHL level. I haven't seen the guy play except for some random Stars games I've seen, but he doesn't seem to really excel at anything. Not a bruiser, not a prolific scorer.

Can't imagine him taking an NHL spot, even from a Verhaeghe or Martel. Just depth for the minors.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Smith seems along the lines of a guy we want. Speed and physicality.

Good points. Another pot stirrer who is fearless and will drop the mitts when needed. Does not fare too badly either. Should be a good energy depth player for the organization. The NHL experience does not hurt either.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This seems like the Andreoff replacement. Guy with NHL experience who will be given a shot to make the team but most likely is set for Syracuse and is a guy who you can call up if needed with confidence since he's been in the league before. Mueller looks like he'll be the Verheaghe replacement because I can't see how he's not on our roster or picked up by someone else. Bournival is gone but he didn't play much last year so no loss. The defense hasn't changed and there is a chance Witkowski gets sent down. In goal it's hard to say since we don't know how those guys will do yet. Wedgewood is a very good and has NHL experience so I would say he's an uogrupg on Pasquale. Martin was a promising player once, didn't quite hit his potential but is still young and should be solid backup to Wedgewood.

I think the Crunch did well in replacing what they lost. Should be another playoff team. They don't add much prospect wise except Lohin who came late last year and is 22 so should be an easier transition. Not sure what the word on Salda is, he seems like he should be in the AHL instead of back in the Q but with Sosunov hopefully locking down a spot there isn't really room for him. If we get steady improvement from last year's rookies and Katchouk bounces back we could challenge for the North again.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This seems like the Andreoff replacement. Guy with NHL experience who will be given a shot to make the team but most likely is set for Syracuse and is a guy who you can call up if needed with confidence since he's been in the league before. Mueller looks like he'll be the Verheaghe replacement because I can't see how he's not on our roster or picked up by someone else. Bournival is gone but he didn't play much last year so no loss. The defense hasn't changed and there is a chance Witkowski gets sent down. In goal it's hard to say since we don't know how those guys will do yet. Wedgewood is a very good and has NHL experience so I would say he's an uogrupg on Pasquale. Martin was a promising player once, didn't quite hit his potential but is still young and should be solid backup to Wedgewood.

I think the Crunch did well in replacing what they lost. Should be another playoff team. They don't add much prospect wise except Lohin who came late last year and is 22 so should be an easier transition. Not sure what the word on Salda is, he seems like he should be in the AHL instead of back in the Q but with Sosunov hopefully locking down a spot there isn't really room for him. If we get steady improvement from last year's rookies and Katchouk bounces back we could challenge for the North again.
Orlando?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

They should be getting Fucale so between him and Windsor the goaltending should be good. Matthew Spencer should be back on the blueline. Lipanov should start the year down there, Sommpi could see some time. Abbandonato has a good chance to see time there. Defensively they won't get much unless Tampa signs Salda and has him there part of the year like they did Sosunov. Offensively they could get 3-4 guys but with injuries they may get 1-2. There's still a lot of time left to figure things out. I count them with 48 contracts for next year, so not a lot of room for anymore two way guys so Syracuse will have to sign some to contracts. Domingue should be gone so one spot there and they may get an AHL contract back which would push someone down to Orlando possibly.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They should be getting Fucale so between him and Windsor the goaltending should be good. Matthew Spencer should be back on the blueline. Lipanov should start the year down there, Sommpi could see some time. Abbandonato has a good chance to see time there. Defensively they won't get much unless Tampa signs Salda and has him there part of the year like they did Sosunov. Offensively they could get 3-4 guys but with injuries they may get 1-2. There's still a lot of time left to figure things out. I count them with 48 contracts for next year, so not a lot of room for anymore two way guys so Syracuse will have to sign some to contracts. Domingue should be gone so one spot there and they may get an AHL contract back which would push someone down to Orlando possibly.
This should probably be moved to the Syracuse thread, but I'm seeing the start of AHL signings in the past day or so. It probably won't be long now until Syracuse makes some announcements.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1