Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Anton Stralman (5 years, $4.5 million AAV, NTC)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stralman and Callahan didn't get contracts from the Rangers because they wanted NTC's, which Sather has been really reluctant to give out as of late.

Just sayin.

After the Brad Richards contract, 9 years with a full NMC, can't say I blame Sather. These players don't want to be traded but it happens even if they are having a good season, if a deal comes by that a GM cannot refuse anyone can be trade bait without a NMC. You take a risk with any player, and the Rangers cap has been an issue. Tampa is willing to take more of a risk because they do have the cap flexibility.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
After the Brad Richards contract, 9 years with a full NMC, can't say I blame Sather. These players don't want to be traded but it happens even if they are having a good season, if a deal comes by that a GM cannot refuse anyone can be trade bait without a NMC. You take a risk with any player, and the Rangers cap has been an issue. Tampa is willing to take more of a risk because they do have the cap flexibility.

Well it seems they like ridiculous contracts up there, too.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
He wouldn't give 27 year old Stralman a NTC but he sure didn't have a problem giving 38 year old Dan Boyle a NMC.

Interesting.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
At last, after 8+ years we have a real top pair. Hopefully Cooper will unleash the Hedmonster now, villagers beware.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
At last, after 8+ years we have a real top pair. Hopefully Cooper will unleash the Hedmonster now, villagers beware.

Just a warning, he's never played top pairing minutes, and got the 4th lowest QoC amongst our top 4. That might be asking a little much of him.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Just a warning, he's never played top pairing minutes

He's headlined TB's top-pairing since the 2011-2012 season.

and got the 4th lowest QoC amongst our top 4. That might be asking a little much of him.

The differences in QoC between Carle, Gudas, Hedman and Salo are marginal. While Hedman's usage was more favorable than in the previous couple of seasons, it's pretty clear this was by design and presumably in an effort to better tap into the offensive potential Hedman possesses and which Carle and Gudas don't. It was also partly a byproduct of the team itself being better and so controlling play more and earning a better ratio of o-zone to d-zone draws.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

The differences in QoC between Carle, Gudas, Hedman and Salo are marginal. While Hedman's usage was more favorable than in the previous couple of seasons, it's pretty clear this was by design and presumably in an effort to better tap into the offensive potential Hedman possesses and which Carle and Gudas don't. It was also partly a byproduct of the team itself being better and so controlling play more and earning a better ratio of o-zone to d-zone draws.

I think he meant Stralman.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013

He was talking about Strålman, not Hedman.

Just a warning, he's never played top pairing minutes, and got the 4th lowest QoC amongst our top 4. That might be asking a little much of him.

He has never been given a chance to do so, has he? Strålman is a late bloomer anyway who only became a legit top-4 guy when he was 26. Now you let him play with a young top-10 D in the league in Hedman and I'm sure he'll be able to handle the minutes. You don't have to have experience as top-2 defenseman to handle the minutes, especially if there's a legit #1 guy playing with you. For instance, look at Jake Muzzin. Never played top-pairing minutes during his NHL career but then in playoffs, he was paired with Doughty and he was very good.

With his ES points from last year I have to believe he can top the D charts in points.

Not only last year but the year before that, too. Last year he had third most ES points in defenseman, behind Keith and Karlsson (Burns, too, but was a forward last season). The year before that he was third as well, behind Yandle and Letang (he had very little amount of PP time that season). His ES production has been very good, now that he probably gets to start the season in #1PP unit and stay there throughout the season, who know how much points he puts up. 60+ is very possible (he was on pace for 60 points this season but missed 7 games).

Last edited:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I think he meant Stralman.

Ah.

It's still weak commentary, though, because a) there's little sense in making a straight comparison of Stralman's QoC with the Rangers to those with the Lightning's defense and b) again, any difference would have been marginal with Stralman in TB's top-4 last season because Cooper didn't aggressively pursue matchups.

Also, playing Stralman on the "top-pair" means riding shotgun alomgside Hedman, who carried Sami Salo the past two seasons and Eric Brewer the season before that. Stralman's 27, very mobile and was arguably New York's best defenseman for much of the past two seasons. Really, suggesting Stralman may not be primed for a minimally-different role than the one he excelled at with New York, especially given the support he'd have from one of the game's best two-way defenders, is just silly.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725690&navid=nhl:topheads

Stralman signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract; Boyle signed a three-year, $6 million contract. Yzerman said after signing them that he spoke with Callahan, as did the players.

"I just kind of wanted to hear his thoughts, so he obviously had an impact on my decision," Stralman said Tuesday. "I already had a good idea about Tampa, and just wanted to confirm everything."

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I am a bit curies to what he said that would make not only one but two players give up some serious money to come here, well, sure they have eyes and can see what kind of team they are building here but still…oh well, I’m still loving it.

Lets see... Low taxes, easygoing and fun fanbase, relatively nice media, great weather, beautiful women, SFY, Stamkos...

I can't think of a reason why someone would come to Tampa.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Lets see... Low taxes, easygoing and fun fanbase, relatively nice media, great weather, beautiful women, SFY, Stamkos...

I can't think of a reason why someone would come to Tampa.

Haha, true, I can't think of any reason not to want to come here. Adding Bishop and playing for Steve Yzerman himself also helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad