GDT: Lightning @ Senators | March 20th 7:30 | SUN,SNET-E,TVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The biggest difference in Tampa Bay this yr from last yr has been goaltending. Ben Bishop has single handedly turned TB from being outside the playoffs last yr to being one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference this yr & a playoff team. IMO this is exactly what Ottawa needs, much better consistent goaltending all yr long.

Ottawa went last yr from having three solid goaltenders to none this yr. Anderson has been mediocre to poor this yr & he has been hurt a lot. Lehner has gone from a strong first half of the yr although he was still losing games even when he played well because of a lack of team support to a very poor second half. Ottawa out their money oin these two guys & they just haven't been there this yr like they were last yr for whatever reasons, probably many.

IMO this is the biggest problem with this team, too many gun slingers who like to play a run & gun style without getting the goaltending to cover their ass. If Anderson & Lehner would have played as well this yr as they both played last yr this would be a very different team I think & quite likely a playoff team. Can these two regain last yr's performance next yr or will BM have to upgrade this position first? I'm sure we will know by the 20 game mark whether these two have what it takes or goaltending changes have to be made.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I realize this thread will eventually be filled with people thinking about the good old days, and how Bishop is the answer to whatever.

Reality is that Bishop is already regressing, as expected. He is not a career .940 goaltender. The Bolts have a solid system in front of him so they are still getting points here and there, but he is starting to go through what all goaltenders riding a hot streak eventually go through.

Long story short: put him on the Sens this season and we have the same Sens as we do right now.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I realize this thread will eventually be filled with people thinking about the good old days, and how Bishop is the answer to whatever.

Reality is that Bishop is already regressing, as expected. He is not a career .940 goaltender. The Bolts have a solid system in front of him so they are still getting points here and there, but he is starting to go through what all goaltenders riding a hot streak eventually go through.

Long story short: put him on the Sens this season and we have the same Sens as we do right now.

I agree, it's more about systems in TB then goaltending. Watching TB they take away the center of the ice and funnel shots to angles that have to be on the post - the shooter looks up and there is a 6'7 man standing there and there is no where to shoot.

If I was 6'7 and all I had to do was stand up straight on the post and let shots hit me I'd also have a .940%

TB is winning because all 20 guys are playing a tight system, Ottawa isn't playing any type of disciplined game in their end and that's the simple truth. Until Ottawa puts their goalies in a place to succeed we won't win any games

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005

Exactly
Send any 3 of Sens goaltenders to Tampa and the results would have likely been the same. Sens problem is team wide

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
I agree, it's more about systems in TB then goaltending. Watching TB they take away the center of the ice and funnel shots to angles that have to be on the post - the shooter looks up and there is a 6'7 man standing there and there is no where to shoot.

If I was 6'7 and all I had to do was stand up straight on the post and let shots hit me I'd also have a .940%

TB is winning because all 20 guys are playing a tight system, Ottawa isn't playing any type of disciplined game in their end and that's the simple truth. Until Ottawa puts their goalies in a place to succeed we won't win any games

When it is systems at fault like you suggest it is the coaches who are at fault not necessarily the players. The team at present has no systems, offensively or defensively. We need better coaching and better systems.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Tampa didn't look like they had a defensive system last night. They were hanging out Bishop to dry who by the way was also shaky last night. The leafs could have easily tied the game the way they were playing in the third. I would put my money on the leafs with Bernier over Tampa and Bishop in a playoff series. The difference between Tampa and us is Tampa's getting the goaltending otherwise they would be down where we are. Their team is better than us defensively but not by much.

melnyk budget*

Lehner starting? Gotta score 4-5 to make up for the 3-4 softies. Poor kid, really needs to get some confidence.

Stamkos hat trick? maybe a double hat trick with our defense.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When it is systems at fault like you suggest it is the coaches who are at fault not necessarily the players. The team at present has no systems, offensively or defensively. We need better coaching and better systems.

Perhaps Maclean needs to make some changes and allow Ottawa to play a more conservative game, but the giveaways and lost battles isn't on him.

CM said the players aren't playing hard and emptying the tank, that is also on the coach but it's pretty much 100% on the players. When was the last time you saw Bobby Ryan have a dominant shift? The guy is a #2 overall pick.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Lehner starting? Gotta score 4-5 to make up for the 3-4 softies. Poor kid, really needs to get some confidence.

Stamkos hat trick? maybe a double hat trick with our defense.

The garbage defense has caused more goals against then Lehner over the last week.

1 softy against the Rangers.

0 softies against the Avs.

1 softy against the Habs

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The biggest difference in Tampa Bay this yr from last yr has been goaltending. Ben Bishop has single handedly turned TB from being outside the playoffs last yr to being one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference this yr & a playoff team. IMO this is exactly what Ottawa needs, much better consistent goaltending all yr long.

Ottawa went last yr from having three solid goaltenders to none this yr. Anderson has been mediocre to poor this yr & he has been hurt a lot. Lehner has gone from a strong first half of the yr although he was still losing games even when he played well because of a lack of team support to a very poor second half. Ottawa out their money oin these two guys & they just haven't been there this yr like they were last yr for whatever reasons, probably many.

IMO this is the biggest problem with this team, too many gun slingers who like to play a run & gun style without getting the goaltending to cover their ass. If Anderson & Lehner would have played as well this yr as they both played last yr this would be a very different team I think & quite likely a playoff team. Can these two regain last yr's performance next yr or will BM have to upgrade this position first? I'm sure we will know by the 20 game mark whether these two have what it takes or goaltending changes have to be made.

Hedman has also turned into a stud muffin, so they have one of the best forwards in the world one of the best goalies in the world and a great 2way dman, we have none of these things

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hedman has also turned into a stud muffin, so they have one of the best forwards in the world one of the best goalies in the world and a great 2way dman, we have none of these things

Bishop is absolutely not one of the best goalies in the world. Far from it actually. One great season does NOT turn you into one of the best goalies in the world. :shakehead

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Bishop is absolutely not one of the best goalies in the world. Far from it actually. One great season does NOT turn you into one of the best goalies in the world. :shakehead

Well this year he is, so... you can act like he isn't stopping a lot of pucks and playing lights out, but he is

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
I agree with SB. Bishop has a long way to go to prove people that he's not just a one year wonder. He'll never be talked about in the same veins as an elite goalie. He may become a great goalie or he might end up being an average goalie when teams figure him out. Reimer looked great the past couple seasons and looked a future great goalie until teams figured out where his weaknesses are. We'll see if Bishop can adapt to teams figuring him out down the road or if he'll crumble like some have had.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well this year he is, so... you can act like he isn't stopping a lot of pucks and playing lights out, but he is

Of course i can admit he is playing amazing this year, but that absolutely does not mean he is the best goalie in the world.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Karlsson - Norris trophy winner
Anderson - last yr was considered one of the best goalies in the NHL for quite a while
Spezza, Ryan, Turris, Hemsky, Michalek - unfortunately none of these guys were consistent all yr long.

We have the pieces but they all have to come together at the same time & most importantly is good consistent steady goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad