Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Andrej Sustr (2 years, one-way, $1.45M AAV)

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
This deal doesn't look like a huge vote of confidence to me. It seems kind of the opposite. They're keeping him around without actually making much of a commitment.

Chicago didn't even play their bottom pairing guys. Sustr only looks worse than your average #6 because Coop flattens icetime so much that it leaves him exposed. (I say that as a guy who doesn't really think much of Sustr, but thinks this is a good deal anyway.)

Agreed. This is a "you have to prove to us you belong here" kind of deal. No commitment from the Lightning, except for a slight raise. Not buying any UFA years means modest raise, and if he should improve drastically they still own his rights. If he doesn't he would be easy to trade, or waive.

In my opinion this is a solid deal for the Lightning. I see no risk here, at all.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's a huge vote of confidence. A true bridge deal before 5mil +. He's a bargain now and will be at 5mil as well.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
It is good deal for Bolts. Remember how long it took Hedman to develop. Sustr has gotten gradually better and no one has beat him out for his spot.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
It is good deal for Bolts. Remember how long it took Hedman to develop. Sustr has gotten gradually better and no one has beat him out for his spot.

Hedman is not a good comparison for Sustr. Only similarities are that they are big. Hedman still showed flashes of greatness when he was struggling, Sustr doesn't even do that on his good games. Totally unjust comparison.

Sustr if we're incredibly lucky becomes a top four Dman, just from what he's shown us it's foolish to expect anything more than a decent bottom pairing Dman from him. The bridge deal reflects that.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Sustr is a disaster WITH the puck so ideal partner for him would be someone who moves the puck well so Sustr can play WITHOUT it. At the same time you need that puck mover not to be a black hole defensively so suddenly you are looking at a 3.5+ player at cheapest and we can't really build around Sustr.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
He had a few moments last season, and if for some reason he breaks out this season he's an EASY trade.

If we can say "hey look at this guy, he's gonna be awesome in 3 years" then we might just be able to get a steal for him pre-deadline. We know the guy isn't going to get any better, but if we can make him LOOK better... then we might just have something...

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He had a few moments last season, and if for some reason he breaks out this season he's an EASY trade.

If we can say "hey look at this guy, he's gonna be awesome in 3 years" then we might just be able to get a steal for him pre-deadline. We know the guy isn't going to get any better, but if we can make him LOOK better... then we might just have something...

Absolutely. I bet Carle might actually be tradeable as early as the deadline next season for playoff teams with injuries or thin bluelines.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Hedman is not a good comparison for Sustr. Only similarities are that they are big. Hedman still showed flashes of greatness when he was struggling, Sustr doesn't even do that on his good games. Totally unjust comparison.

Sustr if we're incredibly lucky becomes a top four Dman, just from what he's shown us it's foolish to expect anything more than a decent bottom pairing Dman from him. The bridge deal reflects that.

Really only comparing how long a D-man development takes. Hedman steadily got better but it took a while. Great decision to sign Sustr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad