Lightning planning $40 million of arena improvements

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
RFID coming to a jersey near you

erlendssontrib
Season ticket holders starting next season will receive a new jersey with STH patch, will have chip in sleeve to receive in-house discounts

(So for those talking about offering in-game discounts on food and such, here's the technology)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Didn't knew that STH received free jerseys! :amazed:

Depends on the team. I'm guessing that there will be a number of sponsor logos on that jersey.

The ECHL Stockton Thunder had a (replica) jersey give away on Saturday. (And they have another one coming up in March)

selkie

Feb 9, 2009
Niceville, FL
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...uniform-new-logo-long-term-commitment/1148764

On Wednesday, it will reveal more plans for an estimated $40 million makeover of its home stadium, the St. Pete Times Forum, an overhaul that the St. Petersburg Times first reported last week. County documents indicate the team wants to be reimbursed for much of the expense using tourist taxes, but Lightning execs indicate Vinik is prepared to move forward with or without the pledge of financial support.

Put the spending spree together — along with $5 million Vinik & Co. already spent on Forum improvements — and it looks like a long-term commitment to the Lightning.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Owner & CEO on NHL Hour with Bettman.

STH will get 25% off concessions, 35% off merchandise with the RFID chip in free jersey. (The new jersey distribution was done in part to counter complaints they were only upgrading the logo/jerseys in a cash grab.)

Lots of the repairs/upgrades in that $40m including new readers for those chips. Including HVAC. (Poor circulation has actually rusted some of the seats.)

cooker24

May 7, 2002
Visit site
I caught a game in Tampa Bay and I was impressed with the building. I thought it was really nice. I don't know whether my opinion was skewed because I had been living and working in Central America for two years, whether I was just so excited to watch the Canucks after being away from Vancouver for so long, or whether it was because I was comparing it to the Panthers' building from the Canucks game there the night before, but I thought it was really nice. The organization really put a lot of effort into entertaining the fans, the fans were right into the game, and they had a beautiful HD jumbotron. It seems to me that they were probably one of the first teams to upgrade to a huge HD jumbotron.

What could they be spending the money for improvements on aside from the system for the chips in the STH jerseys?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I caught a game in Tampa Bay and I was impressed with the building. I thought it was really nice. I don't know whether my opinion was skewed because I had been living and working in Central America for two years, whether I was just so excited to watch the Canucks after being away from Vancouver for so long, or whether it was because I was comparing it to the Panthers' building from the Canucks game there the night before, but I thought it was really nice. The organization really put a lot of effort into entertaining the fans, the fans were right into the game, and they had a beautiful HD jumbotron. It seems to me that they were probably one of the first teams to upgrade to a huge HD jumbotron.

What could they be spending the money for improvements on aside from the system for the chips in the STH jerseys?

Probably refurbing box seats, maybe replacing worn regular seats, upgrades to Jumbotron and concession/eating areas-from what I've heard it doesn't take a lot of get into 10's of millions renovating arenas-particularly if it's extensive. Be nice to see before/after photos for comparisions.

That chip idea actually pretty cool, I wonder how many other teams might do that-and those are pretty good discounts too!

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida

Replacing every seat, new HVAC system, adding a 11,000 square foot "Party Deck", updated concessions, updated lightning.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=551400&navid=DL|TBL|home goes into more detail.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
That's some pretty cool stuff they are doing to the arena(love the idea they are bringing in an organ).

Good for the owners for doing this, helping to create "the experience" of going to the arena.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT arena enhancements...

When SVSE/city of San Jose updated the HP Pavilion a few years ago, one of the not-that-noticeable changes was updating the ceiling support structures. This was to increase the "hang" capacity as many of the new/larger musical shows are really putting a lot in the rafters.

So, to continue to be able to host these shows, they needed to update, or stop hosting those events.

The Sharks big HDTV quality video monitor was installed (the first in the 30 NHL venues, IIRC).

(This season they started replacement of the lower bowl seats. Next season, they'll replace the upper bowl.)

BeachBolt

Jun 2, 2010
Tampa
Depends on the team. I'm guessing that there will be a number of sponsor logos on that jersey.

Nope. They showed one during the press conference and it was a normal jersey with nothing different on it besides a small patch saying "STH" in the upper right chest area. Unless they change something about it, us STH's will be getting the real deal :nod:

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
Nope. They showed one during the press conference and it was a normal jersey with nothing different on it besides a small patch saying "STH" in the upper right chest area. Unless they change something about it, us STH's will be getting the real deal :nod:

Congrats with all that stuff. I hope that Tampa Bay is the team that survives in US southeast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad