Friedman: Lightning linked to Cody Ceci

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Ceci for Honka.

I’m also a bolts fan, but I don’t see the fit there. They’ve got a lot of vets ready to walk this summer, but they can do better than Ceci via trade.

On the other hand, Dallas needs a 2/3RHD with Johns likely done, will never give Honka regular minutes, and Jim Nill has recently earned the mantle of bargain-bin-Jim. Seems like a realistic trade.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Ceci would be solid addition to a team like Tampa. Where he wouldn't need to be a top pairing shutdown guy. Behind Hedman and McDonagh he will be in an ideal spot.

Ceci has just been miscast here in Ottawa.

That said he should not be worth a muzzin return although with the shortage of RHD he may well get close to it.

Hfboards think he is not valuable therefore he will get more of a return then people around here expect

Reactions: Icelevel

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I'm still certain he has potential if used right. You can't expect a bottom pairing D to have good stats as a 1st line shutdown D.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anton Stralman replacement. This guy is going to make so many people look stupid if he gets traded to Tampa. Remember who he'll be paired with.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Who on Tampa’s blueline is Ceci even an upgrade on? Certainly not Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman, Cernak, Sergachev, or Coburn. So why would we pay anything at the TDL for a guy who at best might be an upgrade on our seventh defenseman?

Next season we could use somebody to carry our bottom pairing, but we aren’t paying anyone $4M in cap space we don’t have to do it, and even if we could somehow free up the space we could do a hell of a lot better than Ceci. Ceci to Tampa was a rumor years ago before most of our current defense was even on the roster; apparently it just won’t die.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Even the "good" insiders never get anything right when it comes to TB. Maybe that'll change under JBB, but under Yzerman? Nobody ever got out in front of anything.

So I don't know how much truth there is to this. Ceci doesn't make much sense for us at the TDL. Maybe in the off-season, depending on how things shake out.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Ceci isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Put your bottom pairing D as a 1st line shutdown D and see how he does. Its not ****ing rocket science.

Hes overpaid like hell, but if he went to bolts and they played him where he belongs I dont see any downside besides what he makes. I'm staying with what I said in the thread I made about this... Ceci for a 2nd and mediocre prospect
Yup I see this as well. I could see Ottawa retaining some of his salary as well.
Tampa adding Ceci to their bottom pairing isn’t a bad move.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Tampa generally targets solid players. Can't see them abandoning that strategy when they're such a strong team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't mind Ceci, he's definitely an upgrade on Girardi, but it will all depend on the cost and if he's willing to take a pay cut next year or if he wants to go to arbitration. A 2020 2nd + Dominik Masin or Dennis Yan type of prospect I'd do. We'd have to flip Coburn right after and hopefully can get that 2nd back in that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad