GDT: Lightning @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

HR1wPfB.jpg

DEVILS (44-17-6) vs. LIGHTNING (40-22-6)

Head-to-Head

The Devils and Lightning faced off for their first game of the season series on Tuesday when Tampa Bay picked up a 4-1 victory over New Jersey. Damon Severson had the lone Devils goal while Anthony Cirelli (shorthanded), Brandon Hagel, Alex Killorn, and Nikita Kucherov's goals gave the visiting team a win.

Thursday's game is the second of three meetings, once again at Prudential Center. The series shifts to Tampa when the Lightning host the Devils on Saturday to wrap up the series. All three games this season will take place within a week.

Devils Team Scope
The Devils are looking to quickly put Tuesday's loss in the rear-view mirror, especially as they're still in the hunt for first-overall in the Metro Division. Currently New Jersey is two points behind the Carolina Hurricanes with one more game played.

New Jersey has had a strong March, picking up points in six of eight games, and having some big wins like the 3-0 shutout against the Hurricanes (March 12). As the team is in the final stretch of the regular season, games have gotten tighter with the Devils only outscoring their opponents 28-24 so far this month.

Jack Hughes leads the Devils with 37 goals and 80 points, career-high numbers for the forward in his fourth season. Dougie Hamilton leads New Jersey with 45 assists and is one goal away from setting a franchise record for most goals by a defenseman in a single season. Four Devils have over 20 goals: Hughes (37), Nico Hischier (28), Jesper Bratt (27), and Dawson Mercer (22) and four players have 60 points or more: Hughes (80), Hamilton (63), Hischier (61), Bratt (60).

Vitek Vanecek has a 28-8-3 record, a 2.52 goals against average, and a .908 save percentage. Akira Schmid has 8-4-1 record, 1.91 goals against average, and a .927 save percentage. Mackenzie Blackwood (IR, undisclosed) has rejoined team on-ice activities as he works his way back to playing.

Lightning Team Scope
After a rough stretch going 3-5-2 over their last 10 games, the Lightning picked up a big 4-1 win over the Devils on Tuesday. Tampa scored a shorthanded goal late in the first before adding three tallies in the middle frame to get the win. Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 22 of the 23 shots he faced against the Devils. Currently Tampa is third in the Atlantic Division and eight points ahead of Pittsburgh who occupies the first wild-card spot with one more game played.

Brayden Point leads the Lightning with 43 goals and is tied for fourth-most goals in the NHL. Point is having a career-best year for goals and with 14 more assists and 12 more points he could set career-highs in both those categories. Nikita Kucherov 69 assists and 96 points pace the team. Kucherov is second in the league with assists and third for points. Tampa has five players with 20 or more goals: Point (43), Kucherov (27), Steven Stamkos (27), Hagel (24), and Killorn (21). Five skaters have 50 or more points: Kucherov (96), Point (80), Stamkos (66), Hagel (56), Killorn (52).

Andrei Vasilevskiy continues to show why he's a key part of this Lightning team with big saves when his team needs him the most. He has a 30-17-4 record with a 2.67 goals against average and a .914 save percentage. Brian Elliott backs up Vasilevskiy when he needs it. He has a 10-5-2 record with a 3.16 goals against average and .896 save percentage.

Steven Stamkos did not play in Tuesday's game against the Devils due to a lower-body injury. Stamkos is the Lightning's best face-off player with a 54.7% win rate. He is tied for second-most goals on the Lightning with 27, third in assists with 39 and third with points (66) as the Captain continues to be a key part of Tampa's success.

By the Numbers
With six points through eight games in March, Damon Severson and Dougie Hamilton lead all blueliners in points during that span. Severson has two goals and four assists while Hamilton's added one tally and five helpers.

Vasilevskiy has 30 wins through 51 games this season. The 28-year-old goaltender has achieved 30 or more wins over the last six-straight season for Tampa Bay.

JK3 is on a record setting pace with 28 GDTs on the season.

Injuries

Devils

Miles Wood (undisclosed)
Nathan Bastian (upper-body, day-to-day)
Mackenzie Blackwood (undisclosed, IR)
Jonathan Bernier (hip, LTIR)

Lightning
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (lower-body, day-to-day)
Steven Stamkos (lower-body, day-to-day)

IHLGTwp.png

HVgBCMy.png

4hNk0is.jpg

B9k2KaF.png

MfqzIB5.png

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Our roster looks better than theirs IMO.
Its Vas in net, that is where they have a clear cut advantage.
Hedman is the best Dman but we have better depth.
Kucherov is dynamic but I still like our forward group better than theirs.
Only advantage they habe is maybe depth guys like Colton Maroon Perry …. maybe …. I like our speed though and those guys are not that.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No morning skate, no idea on who's starting. Ruff didn't completely trash VV (cited shit puck management and 2 on 1's) so I think he'll give him another shot tonight. I'm pretty sure Wood and Bastian will be out so Lazar and Yegor should play tonight.
I prefer Lazar over Wood( for now) but not Shara over Bastian. Tampa’s bottom 6 is too beefy to have Bastian out and replaced by Shara
Shara should be in the top 6 but there is just no room for him there as we have better options.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The schedule the rest of March is brutal. I can’t see a game that we can start Blackwood. I hope we don’t play him the rest of the year but we all know they will try to work him back into the lineup.
Every game this month is against a very good team or a team that is desperate and playing for their playoff life.
No way I’d want Blackwood in net for any of those.
Get Schmid more starts and try to get VV straightened out ,but not over using him .

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I prefer Lazar over Wood but not Shara over Bastian. Tampa’s bottom 6 is too beefy to have Bastian out and replaced by Shara.
Shara should be in the top 6 but there is just no room for him there as we have better options.
It's not about preferring anyone, both of those guys are hurt. Ideally Bastian would be in but Lazar was fine in his spot, Sharangovich is not small either, he's 6-2 close to 200 lbs.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It's not about preferring anyone, both of those guys are hurt. Ideally Bastian would be in but Lazar was fine in his spot, Sharangovich is not small either, he's 6-2 close to 200 lbs.
I know Shara is a good size but he is too weak along the boards and seems to shy away from contact . I’ve seen him too often not taking a hit to make a play. He is just not a good bottom 6 option IMO , but if we have injuries , there are far worse options in the world to use instead of him. Like in the good old days when we dressed scrubs like Rod Pelly .
I hope in the off-season we move Shara for a good bottom 6 option. I love the kid but we just don’t have a good spot to put him in , and his cost will nkt be worth it for what his role would be l

Reactions: JK3

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
No morning skate, no idea on who's starting. Ruff didn't completely trash VV (cited shit puck management and 2 on 1's) so I think he'll give him another shot tonight. I'm pretty sure Wood and Bastian will be out so Lazar and Yegor should play tonight.
Website had an article about Holtz but I didn't read it. Is he back up and if so is he playing tonight?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Our roster looks better than theirs IMO.
Its Vas in net, that is where they have a clear cut advantage.
Hedman is the best Dman but we have better depth.
Kucherov is dynamic but I still like our forward group better than theirs.
Only advantage they habe is maybe depth guys like Colton Maroon Perry …. maybe …. I like our speed though and those guys are not that.
When you see the Lightning live you get a sense of how heavy a team they are. Elite Prospects has them at the top in average team weight and I can definitely believe that.

They aren’t trying to out-skate us 5v5, they’re trying to slow us down. When it works playing them is like skating in mud.

I’m assuming everything won’t go wrong tonight though, because I’m an upbeat, fun gal like that.

Website had an article about Holtz but I didn't read it. Is he back up and if so is he playing tonight?
Holtz hasn’t been called up, at least not according to Cap Friendly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The schedule the rest of March is brutal. I can’t see a game that we can start Blackwood. I hope we don’t play him the rest of the year but we all know they will try to work him back into the lineup.
Every game this month is against a very good team or a team that is desperate and playing for their playoff life.
No way I’d want Blackwood in net for any of those.
Get Schmid more starts and try to get VV straightened out ,but not over using him .
In reality though, Devils need to make sure they have three goalies up and ready to go come playoffs.

The most logical thing to do would be give Schmid tonight and one of the weekend games. Send him down after that to get AHL reps for the next month or so. Then split time Blackwood/Vanecek. Blackwood gets either Ottawa/Buffalo next weekend and then Chicago/Winnipeg the following weekend. Vanecek should get the rest.

Schmid should absolutely be the de facto #2 come playoff time though, but having Blackwood ready just in case would be smart.

Reactions: NJ07102

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
No he hasn't been called up, it's just an article on why he went back down (lack of playing time here), how he's doing in Utica and stuff he's working on.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In reality though, Devils need to make sure they have three goalies up and ready to go come playoffs.

The most logical thing to do would be give Schmid tonight and one of the weekend games. Send him down after that to get AHL reps for the next month or so. Then split time Blackwood/Vanecek. Blackwood gets either Ottawa/Buffalo next weekend and then Chicago/Winnipeg the following weekend. Vanecek should get the rest.

Schmid should absolutely be the de facto #2 come playoff time though, but having Blackwood ready just in case would be smart.
f*** sending Schmid back to the AHL for shit bag.

Keep him up here

Blackwood can play a game or two, but that's it.

f*** sending Schmid back for this piece of shit, suck goaltender.

The first time it was understandable, but not this time.

Blackwood sucks.

I'm sure there will still be ''Ohhhhhhh! He's gonna bounce back! He's finally healthy!''. Bullshit.

We really don't need to be playing Vanecek most of the games just because we got that sieve up and felt like sending Schmid back. Blackwood should NOT play at the expense of sending Schmid back. The Blackwood stuff really needs to die.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If that's the fourth line they are going to do absolutely nothing.

Of course now that I say that they will probably pot like 3 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad