Post-Game Talk: Lightning def. Canucks - 4-2 (Highmore, Motte)

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Literally every star player has these in their logbook of scoring chances? You don't remember any of the Sedins' missed breakaways or powerplays that didn't convert?

I don’t remember the sedins taking a huge dump for an entire season whilst being the highest paid players.

Reactions: F A N

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Before this season I was one of those who always felt that NHL coaches were largely overrated in terms of their impact on their teams. It was ultimately up the players and the GM who assembled them, to really impact what kind of team you had.

But that was before Boudreau. Since he took over 12 games ago it's almost unfathomable that the team leader in Corsi is none other than Uho Lammikko. Yes really....it was reported on the broadcast by Shorthouse and Garrett.

Lammikko!? The same guy who was so bad under Travis Green that he played his way into the press-box. But now he's anchoring a pretty effective fourth line with Motte and Highmore.

It can't be a co-incidence that so many players are playing light years better than they were at the start of the season. Could be the guy behind the bench is actually more important than I thought.

Corsi means Jack. You can take your high Corsi lamiko and I’ll take my low Corsi Ovechkin. See who wins a cup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Don’t understand why people are pissed
We all knew this is a poorly constructed roster
Lost to the two best teams in the league in regulation with good effort

I'm not even sure the roster being "poorly constructed" had much to do with it. We're on the road against the defending Stanley Cup champions who are once again one of the best teams this year. It's not like we were blown out.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It's hard to be upset with the effort. The legs have been there, but the execution/touch seems to have got rusty after the game cancelations and layoff.

Demko needs to get back to his Vezina form though, or this team won't be going anywhere, unless the PP can become lethal again.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Hey guys, any word on if Halak is starting one of the games this weekend? I know there has been rumours of him being moved but just wanted to check in. Thanks!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not even sure the roster being "poorly constructed" had much to do with it. We're on the road against the defending Stanley Cup champions who are once again one of the best teams this year. It's not like we were blown out.
Considering the disruptions, the execution of Pettersson and Boeser and the makeup of our defense we didn't look too bad

Reactions: mathonwy and F A N

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
So many decent analytic thoughts, I liked this posters so;
It's too bad.....Canucks deserved a far better fate in this one....actually outplayed the Bolts for stretches of this game. But just seems the Canucks need three or four chances to score, while teams like the Panthers and Lightning need only one chance to bury it.
A big difference is playing with structure and playing chaos, chaos is mostly effort. An example would be the Sedins cycling/passing vs a mad dash rush, dump, chase and retrieve, one is possession the other is chasing, one can be panned, the other reacted to. Effort does not always end in success, looks good but...

Of course going 0-4 on the pp and getting only three shots on goal doesn't help either. But the reality is the Canucks' only two goals tonight came from fourth liners. If guys like Pettersson, Miller, Boeser or Horvat don't score, this team doesn't really stand a chance.
It is reported now they only had one shot on net, structure and needing that STUD on defence not a ballerina.

And there's no way of sugar-coating it. Pettersson is having a crushingly disappointing season. If he doesn't pick it up, that new contract is going to be a black hole under the salary cap.
First, I still say he is experiencing post concussion symptoms. Two years ago and two games before he was out for "unspecified" injury (at the time), he did a reverse hit and got clocked with an elbow he jettisoned himself into, so no penalty, but he stopped, shook his head a few times and unnoticed unless you rewound your PVR, staggered about 10 feet towards the bench and shook his head quite a few times, 2 games later he was out for the remainder of the season and I think I heard, he didn't fly back to Sweden. Flying is bad with severe concussions. That said;
Pettersson is to young and inexperienced to have this much pressure put on his shoulders. He could just be another RNH, in Edmonton RNH was fantastic his first few years and is still a good player but was over estimated to carry the load by himself.
Think of Petey as a repeat of RNH
And thank Petey for not signing Benning's 8 year 10 mil offer

But the reality is they're below .500 again. The sad thing is this edition of the Canucks under Boudreau is probably good enough to be a playoff team, but are likely doomed by their awful start under Green. As the old saying goes, 'you can't make the playoffs in the first 25 games, but you can certainly drop out of it and end up chasing the entire season.
Again there are stats and there are stats, this team never reached .500 in a world where .500 is half way to 1.000, they are currently 16 wins counting OT and 20 losses
Good enough to be a playoff team, just being as good as half the league, is that enough? Is one season making the show worthy of adulation?
Green was wrong, a win in the first 20 counts in the last 20, the difference he meant is the really good teams sometimes coast until it gets close to show time. The bad teams get to look good while all the standings are close at the beginning but every win is important. So many times fans look at the last few games to apply blame and then the wrong direction or reasons.

Pettersson is just absolutely trash right now. I think it's time to get worried. Just not the same player we saw 2 years ago.
See above. Players are not automatons, they have brains and use them. Petey stated his deal was short because he wants a chance to win and be in the playoffs. Most non-fanatic folks could see for the last 5 years this group under Benning would never achieve anything more than possible occasional appearances both via cap and age structure. There is no "I" in team and Benning was not building a future and Petey knew it.
Good thing he held out for a 3 year deal instead of the 8 offered.
Petey could end up like RNH, lots of hype but just a really an over average player or second level star.
Canucks should have won this game,I think they deserved to…The amount of flubbed shots by EP,Boeser and Bo was disconcerting.
The effort put out sure but it was chaos hockey on the Nux side
We have seen AHL guys trying their hardest for years so effort isn't all it takes. Good teams win games they are out efforted, sort of like attacking a defensive position, all the effort vs a steady resolve

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Hey guys, any word on if Halak is starting one of the games this weekend? I know there has been rumours of him being moved but just wanted to check in. Thanks!
Cap ramifications, they almost have to have a trade worked out first

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So many decent analytic thoughts, I liked this posters so;

A big difference is playing with structure and playing chaos, chaos is mostly effort. An example would be the Sedins cycling/passing vs a mad dash rush, dump, chase and retrieve, one is possession the other is chasing, one can be panned, the other reacted to. Effort does not always end in success, looks good but...

It is reported now they only had one shot on net, structure and needing that STUD on defence not a ballerina.

First, I still say he is experiencing post concussion symptoms. Two years ago and two games before he was out for "unspecified" injury (at the time), he did a reverse hit and got clocked with an elbow he jettisoned himself into, so no penalty, but he stopped, shook his head a few times and unnoticed unless you rewound your PVR, staggered about 10 feet towards the bench and shook his head quite a few times, 2 games later he was out for the remainder of the season and I think I heard, he didn't fly back to Sweden. Flying is bad with severe concussions. That said;
Pettersson is to young and inexperienced to have this much pressure put on his shoulders. He could just be another RNH, in Edmonton RNH was fantastic his first few years and is still a good player but was over estimated to carry the load by himself.
Think of Petey as a repeat of RNH
And thank Petey for not signing Benning's 8 year 10 mil offer

Again there are stats and there are stats, this team never reached .500 in a world where .500 is half way to 1.000, they are currently 16 wins counting OT and 20 losses
Good enough to be a playoff team, just being as good as half the league, is that enough? Is one season making the show worthy of adulation?
Green was wrong, a win in the first 20 counts in the last 20, the difference he meant is the really good teams sometimes coast until it gets close to show time. The bad teams get to look good while all the standings are close at the beginning but every win is important. So many times fans look at the last few games to apply blame and then the wrong direction or reasons.

See above. Players are not automatons, they have brains and use them. Petey stated his deal was short because he wants a chance to win and be in the playoffs. Most non-fanatic folks could see for the last 5 years this group under Benning would never achieve anything more than possible occasional appearances both via cap and age structure. There is no "I" in team and Benning was not building a future and Petey knew it.
Good thing he held out for a 3 year deal instead of the 8 offered.
Petey could end up like RNH, lots of hype but just a really an over average player or second level star.

The effort put out sure but it was chaos hockey on the Nux side
We have seen AHL guys trying their hardest for years so effort isn't all it takes. Good teams win games they are out efforted, sort of like attacking a defensive position, all the effort vs a steady resolve
The game I watched wasnt chaos hockey on the Canucks side at all...BB has them playing a style of hockey that suits the roster.(didnt they hold TB to 15 shots against for 2 periods..?).It wasnt a case of a talentless group giving it their best college try, but coming up short.

Last edited:
Reactions: theguardianII

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It's hard to be upset with the effort. The legs have been there, but the execution/touch seems to have got rusty after the game cancelations and layoff.

Demko needs to get back to his Vezina form though, or this team won't be going anywhere, unless the PP can become lethal again.

Did I miss something? Did Demko give up some bad goals or something? I sure didn't see them. This board is such a hoot, we fired our whole front office and after a single morning skate with the new guy went on a winning streak that was unprecedented in this team's history only to have a sudden, unscheduled 10 game layoff interrupt us completely (which literally nobody here has cited as any sort of factor in the team's play, really?) and THEN... we head out on a road trip on the other side of the continent against 5 of the very best teams in the league. We outshot our opponents in both the first two games and we were in them both until the end. Now people are already getting the knives out for BB and the criticisms of TD are ramping up despite his amazing play. The usual static about Horvat's "captaining qualities" resurfaces after every loss (but then I remind myself that this is a fanbase that thought Ryan Kesler would make a great captain). No the team isn't perfect but I'll tell you this if they play every remaining game the way they have played the last two they will not only make the playoffs but they will scare the hell out of a team or two once there. What's next? Oh yeah TWO back to back road games that are scheduled for the AM (Vancouver time). No problems right? Don't worry, at some point things will level out schedule-wise and THEN we can whine if we don't play well. Right now it isn't like we aren't playing well so...

Reactions: allroundfan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

If I was Jim Rutherford, I would have been leaning on the pleasantly surprised side of the ledger, after that performance...

Although, I'm sure he's eyeing up our D , and looking for a solution there.

Last edited:

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Did I miss something? Did Demko give up some bad goals or something? I sure didn't see them. This board is such a hoot, we fired our whole front office and after a single morning skate with the new guy went on a winning streak that was unprecedented in this team's history only to have a sudden, unscheduled 10 game layoff interrupt us completely (which literally nobody here has cited as any sort of factor in the team's play, really?) and THEN... we head out on a road trip on the other side of the continent against 5 of the very best teams in the league. We outshot our opponents in both the first two games and we were in them both until the end. Now people are already getting the knives out for BB and the criticisms of TD are ramping up despite his amazing play. The usual static about Horvat's "captaining qualities" resurfaces after every loss (but then I remind myself that this is a fanbase that thought Ryan Kesler would make a great captain). No the team isn't perfect but I'll tell you this if they play every remaining game the way they have played the last two they will not only make the playoffs but they will scare the hell out of a team or two once there. What's next? Oh yeah TWO back to back road games that are scheduled for the AM (Vancouver time). No problems right? Don't worry, at some point things will level out schedule-wise and THEN we can whine if we don't play well. Right now it isn't like we aren't playing well so...

Saying "Demko needs to get back to his Vezina form" if this team is going to go anywhere is hardly "getting the knives out." Seems you like you really just needed to get that off your chest though.

Demko has been okay, but not unbeatable like he was before the layoff. If the Canucks PP was solid then the team could probably get away with him being the second best goalie on some nights. If he's not the best player on the ice this team won't win against good teams. Seems like a pretty uncontroversial statement to me.

Reactions: mossey3535

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Feel like if we played those two games against just about any other two teams in the league, we walk away with at least 3 of 4 points more often than not. Considering the quality of opponents, distance traveled, and long lay off, pretty happy with the over all effort.

Really, when looking at the schedule, points in these games were always going to be bonuses. We need some bonus points if we are going to get I to the playoff race for sure, but can't really be upset about the outcome. Process is coming along and just need to get all our eggs rolling at the same time. Wasn't that long ago JR was saying we needed guys other than our top line to contribute offensively, amd now our 4th line is doing all the scoring.

It's coming though. EP has had probably his best b2b games of the season. The pass to Horvat alone in front, and to Boeser late in the game, were vintage Petey. If those were goals the media would be saying EP is back. Not quite there yet as he needs to get his shots on net, but his play is trending in the right direction.

Boeser has looked rusty, but looked better in the 3rd. Hopefully his timing is getting back to pre Covid break.

JT isn't at the top of his game. His play lately is why I feel he should be the one that gets moved at the deadline or in the summer. Feel his next contract is going to be filled with regrets. When his skating is off, his play can unravel. Don't think his personality is going to deal well with losing effectiveness when he loses half a step in the not too distant future.

Need to find some points in this road trip. 6 points would still be a successful Eastern swing. Just need to get the top half of the roster scoring some goals, and keep the overall effort where it is. Certainly enough positives from these two games for the boys to have some confidence and to feel good about where their game is getting to.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The forwards are gassed. Are they going to try any new forwards or keep running the same 12 guys until fatigue leads to severe injuries.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Don’t understand why people are pissed
We all knew this is a poorly constructed roster
Lost to the two best teams in the league in regulation with good effort

I was happy that they seemed to compete really well. To think our roster is near either of those is naive.

Reactions: Hit the post

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
The game I watched wasnt chaos hockey on the Canucks side at all...BB has them playing a style of hockey that suits the roster.(didnt they hold TB to 15 shots against for 2 periods..?).It wasnt a case of a talentless group giving it their best college try, but coming up short.

It looked like that to me. It looked like we were trying to win the cup or gold medal and Tampa was just in cruise control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad