Proposal: Lightning and Penguins shake up

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Both teams horribly underwhelming in playoffs, maybe they’d be willing to swap some core players.

Pitt trades: Kessel + Bjugstad (10.9 mill)

Bolts trade: Johnson + Miller (10.25 mill)

Salary is roughly even.

As a pens fan, I don’t think Bjugstad is the center for us. He’s been alright but I think Miller would be a much better fit at 3C for us. And Johnson would electric with Sid and Geuntzel.

Tampa obviously gets the best player in the deal in Kessel, and Bjugstad would be a good 3rd liner for them.

Pitt needs a shakeup more than Tampa but I think this could be good for both teams.

Thoughts?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Considering Tampa is gonna have to pay Point, Vasi, and Sergachev in the next two years, it's more likely they just move out those guys for futures.
Yeah that would make some sense. But Kessel and Bjugstad don’t have long contracts left and Tampa is very clearly in a win now mode, I feel like if they could land a guy like Kessel they would and worry about the money later. There are other guys that could be moved too (Girardi, Stralman, Killorn, Callahan, etc...)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah that would make some sense. But Kessel and Bjugstad don’t have long contracts left and Tampa is very clearly in a win now mode, I feel like if they could land a guy like Kessel they would and worry about the money later. There are other guys that could be moved too (Girardi, Stralman, Killorn, Callahan, etc...)

Their contracts are still long enough that they run past that period. It's not really a matter of making it by... They literally will HAVE to move out contracts to keep those guys.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Their contracts are still long enough that they run past that period. It's not really a matter of making it by... They literally will HAVE to move out contracts to keep those guys.
Right but I guess my point is that they could easily ship out guys like Stralman, Killorn, and Callahan to make that cap space for those pay raises. As a team in a win now mode, simply trading away talented guys like Johnson and Miller for futures won’t help them get better. Adding Kessel to their core and trading away the lesser skilled guys making a lot of money is a better route I think.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This deal doesn't make any sense for the Lightning. They're already facing a cap crunch in the near future where they're going to have to trade some money out, this doesn't help that at all.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Right but I guess my point is that they could easily ship out guys like Stralman, Killorn, and Callahan to make that cap space for those pay raises. As a team in a win now mode, simply trading away talented guys like Johnson and Miller for futures won’t help them get better. Adding Kessel to their core and trading away the lesser skilled guys making a lot of money is a better route I think.
Stralman and Callahan are expiring soon anyway. We need to move long term salary like Palat (NTC) or Miller without taking any back. Also Kessel is not the answer to our problems.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Not good for TB at all. Kessel is old and slowing down greatly while TJ and miller are still young. TJ imo is the best piece of the deal.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not good for TB at all. Kessel is old and slowing down greatly while TJ and miller are still young. TJ imo is the best piece of the deal.

TJ is turning 29 in 3months and has only hit 50 points once in the last 4 years. I'm not seeing how he's the best piece here

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
pass. kessel is a better version of johnson yes but i dont want any version of that player. bjugs is ok probably about equal to jtm. but the money tho. moving out the two jts should be for the cap space to pay point serg vasy cirelli etc

im assuming pens pass even quicker than bolts do

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If you can ignore the fact that the Lightning aren't in a position to simply hold onto salary, I don't want Bjugstad as a piece coming back.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Considering Tampa is gonna have to pay Point, Vasi, and Sergachev in the next two years, it's more likely they just move out those guys for futures.

Pretty much this, I don't see this trade happening given TB and their cap situation.

Also the trade value for Kessel isn't all that high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad