Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Penguins 4 - Pens Prevent the Empty Netter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
One BIG win for the Pens:

their uniforms were waaaaay better than those **** **** ***** **** **** practice jerseys TBL were wearing. I'd even take the stupid 90s 3rd/away fade crap from the Pens over those boring pieces of **** TBL had to wear

ahhahaha...losers!!!!!!
I loved those TB jerseys. you cray

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Do you really think a big trade fixes this team's problems? The problems with this team to me are that they're disorganized, they're not a team. I don't know if it's a lack of discipline by the coaches or a lack of attention to detail by the players, but this team is just not organized at all. They're just so sloppy.

I think JR is reaching his quota on trades, at least up front. A big trade on the back end + Schultz could make a big difference.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think JR is reaching his quota on trades, at least up front. A big trade on the back end + Schultz could make a big difference.

I think the problem I have with this team is that the mix is off, to the point where you'd have to make a lot of changes to fix that. This team just seems like a mix of some really good ingredients, but they don't go well together so they make a mediocre to poor dish. There are just a ton of players on this team who don't seem like good fits here. Pearson, Hornqvist, Maatta, Bjugstad, Kessel....they all just seem awkward here right now. They're not bad players at all, but they just seem awkward here. I've especially thought this about Hornqvist, but Hornqvist seems to vital to the powerplay for me to even think about moving him.

That's the best word to describe this team. They're not bad, they're just awkward. The results may end up good, but they don't look as good as their roster suggests they should be. Rust with Crosby is a perfect example of this, this entire team feels like Rust with Crosby this year.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Do you really think a big trade fixes this team's problems? The problems with this team to me are that they're disorganized, they're not a team. I don't know if it's a lack of discipline by the coaches or a lack of attention to detail by the players, but this team is just not organized at all. They're just so sloppy.

No, I think the right trade fixes this team. I’ve already said what I think that would be many times.

If this board was around in ‘92, I can only imagine the panic back then. That team was f***ing horrible. CP had enough and shipped off two integral players to their cup run... and it made a massive difference. They killed it down the stretch and won another cup.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
No, I think the right trade fixes this team. I’ve already said what I think that would be many times.

If this board was around in ‘92, I can only imagine the panic back then. That team was ****ing horrible. CP had enough and shipped off two integral players to their cup run... and it made a massive difference and they killed it down the stretch and won another cup.

I missed it - what would that be?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think the problem I have with this team is that the mix is off, to the point where you'd have to make a lot of changes to fix that. This team just seems like a mix of some really good ingredients, but they don't go well together so they make a mediocre to poor dish. There are just a ton of players on this team who don't seem like good fits here. Pearson, Hornqvist, Maatta, Bjugstad, Kessel....they all just seem awkward here right now. They're not bad players at all, but they just seem awkward here. I've especially thought this about Hornqvist, but Hornqvist seems to vital to the powerplay for me to even think about moving him.

That's the best word to describe this team. They're not bad, they're just awkward. The results may end up good, but they don't look as good as their roster suggests they should be. Rust with Crosby is a perfect example of this, this entire team feels like Rust with Crosby this year.

Its the 2nd and 3rd lines that have been off this year IMO.

I'm happy with the 1st line and 4th line most nights.

Sully has tried a million players on that 2nd and 3rd line and it just seems like nothing ever works with those lines.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm loving McCann in the 3 hole.

I think Bjug and his abilty to create space will mesh very well with Malkin.

I just don't know where to put Hornqvist...if you go Kessel on line 3.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
A legit top four offensive defenseman that can skate like Daley.

Acquiring him means moving guys JR is attached to.

CP was attached to Coffey and Recchi, but he did it anyway.

Get that guy, swallow your pride and bench JJ... I guarantee you will see a massive difference.

+the fans are attached to these players as well. You're not getting that guy if Maatta headlines the package going the other way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

If this board was around in ‘92, I can only imagine the panic back then. That team was ****ing horrible. CP had enough and shipped off two integral players to their cup run... and it made a massive difference. They killed it down the stretch and won another cup.

I agree with you that they need a Daley type of guy, but the issue is that I don't know if that solves the problem with this team. The forward group just seems to be an awkward mess right now, there is only 1 or 2 line combinations that work and Sullivan seems unwilling to try them. Adding a PMD and getting Johnson out of there helps the defense, but does it help Maatta get back to form? Does it help Pettersson stop with the rookie mistakes? Does it fix the forward issues? I'm not sure about that. The moves for me to get over the awkwardness of this team would likely take years to do.

Its the 2nd and 3rd lines that have been off this year IMO.

I'm happy with the 1st line and 4th line most nights.

Sully has tried a million players on that 2nd and 3rd line and it just seems like nothing ever works with those lines.

I think your 1st line is an issue with Rust or Simon on it. I don't see any justification for the lineup not being something like this when healthy:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
McCann-Bjugstad-Simon
Pearson-Cullen-Blueger

You can tinker with the bottom-6, but that top-6 has to be that.

I'm loving McCann in the 3 hole.

I think Bjug and his abilty to create space will mesh very well with Malkin.

I just don't know where to put Hornqvist...if you go Kessel on line 3.

The issue is I like McCann in the 3C spot, but I think Bjugstad needs to be playing center. It makes for an awkward situation I think, because I think you ideally have both Bjugstad and McCann in the 3C spot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
+the fans are attached to these players as well. You're not getting that guy if Maatta headlines the package going the other way.

People think within a box too much.

You start putting guys like a Dumo on the table, it opens up much different scenarios.

Dumo, Addison, and a first are certainly assets that can get you that guy.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
People think within a box too much.

You start putting guys like a Dumo on the table, it opens up much different scenarios.

Dumo, Addison, and a first are certainly assets that can get you that guy.

I'd move 81 and 72 before Dumo. HQ's after-the-whistle stuff tonight aside, Dumo is the far more important player to this team.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Really don't get Ryan Wilson crapping on Cullen. He points out his CF% saying he's a bottom tier 4C.

Like does he watch the games? He's getting 90% Dzone starts. Of course his CF% sucks.

No, he does not. RW is one of the worse writers for HockeyBuzz...which is ironic considering it's Eklund's site.

He's 100% adv stat based. Ya know how some here just watch the score sheets to determine who has good and bad games? RW does the exact same thing with adv stats. Formula: don't watch game, look at adv stats, write article about who had good game or bad game based on adv stats.

When they were becoming mainstream, he wrote a post-game once that was something along the lines of "Player X had a bad game because his corsi was below 50%. Kunitz had a good game because his corsi was above 50%". Little did Wilson know, whoever Player X was had 2-3 points in the game and Kunitz was absolutely atrocious (at least that was the opinion of everyone who watched the game). His corsi was typically high because he was still on Sid's linie. And then there was the infamous "Don't fall for Chicago's Fools Gold" article stating all the reasons why we shouldn't be interested in Trevor Daley in late 2015. Article was 100% based on adv stats.

He's like a kid that gets a new toy. Not sure how the toy works exactly...but man is he gonna play with it hard, show it to his friends, and brag all about it....while never ever taking the time to understand the toy and how it should be played with.

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd move 81 and 72 before Dumo. HQ's after-the-whistle stuff tonight aside, Dumo is the far more important player to this team.

It could be those guys, won’t argue that. It could be Dumo or someone else you wouldn’t ever think of.

My point is JR can’t keep making lateral trades and hoping that fixes things.

Like CP had to do, he very well may have to give up big pieces if he wants to find the right trade... Coffey and Recchi were dominant players... cup champions... that trade shocked the hell out of fans and the hockey world, trust me.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Tampa is a cheat code. They’re unreal this year. But... the Pens have played them well. Just rough tonight.

The issue now is getting in the playoffs though. And fact of the matter is: they have to play Carter Hart Monday night. Jesus Christ reincarnate.

God speed.

Reactions: Lustaf

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Tampa is a cheat code. They’re unreal this year. But... the Pens have played them well. Just rough tonight.

The issue now is getting in the playoffs though. And fact of the matter is: they have to play Carter Hart Monday night. Jesus Christ reincarnate.

God speed.
But what if Tampa played the penguins system?
Who knows who goes where, who covers what, and awful passing encouraged.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd actually run McCann at LW when G gets back.
He's not all that great at FO's and i'd take Bluegs or Bjugs for a spin at 3C to start.
McCann would play L2 or L3 LW for me.

They might run McCann at 3LW or 4LW tho if they're gonna take Bjugs for a spin @ 3C:

McCann-Bjugs-Phil/Rust/Horny

ETA: Although Bjugs may have gotten injured forgot about that.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Very frustrated with the team right now. They just seem to be missing something.

I kind of like the current 4th line. Blueger has been one of the few recent bright spots and the mix with him, a grinder like Garrett Wilson and a veteran like Cullen seems like a good fit.

I also think the 1st line with Sid, Jake and Rust is good.

I have a gut feeling that Bjugstad will fit good with Malkin. I hope they try that and maybe that fixes the 2nd line.

Hopefully Schultz and Malkin can return soon and help the team. Our defense and goaltending have been especially concerning lately.

Reactions: Burn

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Carter Hart. He marks the literal end of the Penguins’ “run”. Carter Hart.

Are you saying the Pens current run of being giant turds on ice? So Carter Hart is the start of the winning streak to end the year for Pittsburgh?

Reactions: zero8771

Anita L

Jan 29, 2019
Fighting is still a part of this game it pumps teams up and does change momentum I watched the replays of the fights in this game and the penguins look like a bunch of 5th graders in a hissy fit they have to be the worst in league they get pummeled and injured every time they drop the gloves then chickens**t Crosby has a chance to show some grit and don't even throw a punch if that were Wilson of the caps he would rabbit punched him the head 10 times leaving him bloodied and sent to the locker room Penguins need toughness they get 0 respect from other teams.
being miss goodie 2 shoes won't get you anywhere in this league.. sorry for the rant just venting after another disappointing loss. I know I will get backlash from this one but hey I can take some criticism. lol

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Fighting is still a part of this game it pumps teams up and does change momentum I watched the replays of the fights in this game and the penguins look like a bunch of 5th graders in a hissy fit they have to be the worst in league they get pummeled and injured every time they drop the gloves then chickens**t Crosby has a chance to show some grit and don't even throw a punch if that were Wilson of the caps he would rabbit punched him the head 10 times leaving him bloodied and sent to the locker room Penguins need toughness they get 0 respect from other teams.
being miss goodie 2 shoes won't get you anywhere in this league.. sorry for the rant just venting after another disappointing loss. I know I will get backlash from this one but hey I can take some criticism. lol
Alita, backlash not required. Just knowing you are wrong on every point is punishment enough.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So there's a very real chance that the Pens won't make the playoffs and I can definitely say they don't deserve to. Could be the best thing for them in the long run. Piss poor defense and way too many ghosts. Some major retooling is needed. Even though they got a little younger they look a lot older (and slower).

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad