Equipment: Lifelong Graf users - Question

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I've been using the same pair of Graf 705's for the past 9 years. I used them throughout travel and high school hockey. I only play once a week now-a-days, but they still feel great. I've had to change the steels a few times over the years, but I am beyond pleased with them. The only thing I remember having a problem with was breaking in the boots. It took quite a while for them to feel right.

Recently, I noticed that the boots are getting more and more worn out. It's to the point now where if I don't do anything about it, I'm guaranteed to have a dime-sized hole on each boot. I'm worried the most about the right boot. There will be a hole in the area on the inside-side, about an inch from the bottom of the boot and an inch and a half from the toe. That's not all the trouble I have with that boot, the bottom outside lace holder (sorry, for not being more technical) has partially corroded. The stitches holding it together have begun to pop.

I'm really attached to these Skates. They are probably one of the best purchases I have ever made (actually my dad bought them for me when I was in 8th grade, I'm 23 now). Can anyone lead me in the right direction for Graf boot repair? I want to do this right and hopefully I'm acting before anything becomes un-repairable.

I can't recommend Graf 705's enough.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I've been using the same pair of Graf 705's for the past 9 years. I used them throughout travel and high school hockey. I only play once a week now-a-days, but they still feel great. I've had to change the steels a few times over the years, but I am beyond pleased with them. The only thing I remember having a problem with was breaking in the boots. It took quite a while for them to feel right.

Recently, I noticed that the boots are getting more and more worn out. It's to the point now where if I don't do anything about it, I'm guaranteed to have a dime-sized hole on each boot. I'm worried the most about the right boot. There will be a hole in the area on the inside-side, about an inch from the bottom of the boot and an inch and a half from the toe. That's not all the trouble I have with that boot, the bottom outside lace holder (sorry, for not being more technical) has partially corroded. The stitches holding it together have begun to pop.

I'm really attached to these Skates. They are probably one of the best purchases I have ever made (actually my dad bought them for me when I was in 8th grade, I'm 23 now). Can anyone lead me in the right direction for Graf boot repair? I want to do this right and hopefully I'm acting before anything becomes un-repairable.

I can't recommend Graf 705's enough.

Same here, I LOVE my 705's. Bought them three years ago and have skated 2-4 times per week in them and they still look brand new. I bet I will get at least 5 more years out of them.

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
I have a pair of 705's sitting at home that I used for just over a season and a half, in great shape.

I want to use them, but my problem is that I have crap ankle strength(or poor skating). It seems when I push off with them the boot actually touches the ice. I bought a pair of Bauer One70's that have a stiffer boot, I've had better luck pushing off and I feel more stable in them.

Sucks because the 705's are well made and would last a long time, and they are comfortable. If I could get Graf's with the 705 fit but in a stiffer boot, I'd probably go back to Graf. I handled(but didn't try on due to lack of time) a pair of G65's, and they are minty.

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
Well, I spent just short of an hour skating in the Grafs yesterday(had the whole ice surface to myself!), and it was interesting after not skating on them in almost a year.

There is a lot more movement in the ankle area than the Bauers, not as bad as I remember though. It was easier to find the outside edges for sure, crossovers and turns were much easier to do than the Bauers. Overall fit was much better, no pressure points on my feet, I was wearing thin Bauer skate socks. The Grafs didn't feel as stable, but I'm pretty sure that is inherent to the design, trading the stability for ease of manoeuvrability.

Going to have to do a back to back comparison next week of both skates, but I may go back to the Grafs.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
after 3 weeks of breaking the G65's in I love them, they are stiffer and significantly lighter than the 705's, hopefully these last 8 years or more like the 705's did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad