Life on the line, who do you take

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can choose any current or former players:

Scenario #1

Down a goal 50 seconds to go, face-off in the offensive zone, you've pulled your goalie.

Choose 6 skaters, it can be any combination of forwards/defenseman you would like.

Scenario # 2

Leading by a goal, 50 seconds to go, face-off in your defensive zone:

Choose your goalie and 5 skaters.

Ogopogo*

Scenario #1

Down a goal 50 seconds to go, face-off in the offensive zone, you've pulled your goalie.

Choose 6 skaters, it can be any combination of forwards/defenseman you would like.

Scenario # 2

Scenario #1

Wayne Gretzky
Mike Bossy
Bobby Hull
Rocket Richard
Mario Lemieux
Brett Hull

Scenario #2

Esa Tikkanen
Scott Stevens
Rod Langway
Jason Smith
Eddie Shore
Dominik Hasek

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
My choices are pretty boring, but:

Scenario #1:

Hull-Gretkzy-Bossy
Orr-Lemieux
EA: Beliveau

Scenario #2:

Gainey-Clarke-Lehtinen
Orr-Shore
Hasek

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My thought process:

Scenario #1

The givens: Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy and Orr.

Others to consider ... Richard, Hull, Hull, Coffey, Bourque, Howe, Potvin, Harvey, Clarke, Trottier, Yzerman, Messier, Esposito, Beliveau ....

My original thoughts were Richard and Coffey.

Problem with that is I need to win the face-off, and both Gretzky and Lemieux were poor face-off men. I could also use some more grit, to dig out any pucks that may end up on the corners

I'm not positive about the face-off abilities of some of the older players, but I believe that Beliveau was outstanding on draws, if that's not correct, I'm sure I'll be told about it and alter my selection.

Beliveau becomes choice number 5, giving me my face-off guy and more size down low.

The final decisions comes down to another forward, or another defenseman. The choice narrows down to Richard, Esposito and Coffey. In the end I'll stick with the defenseman and choose Coffey:

My six:

Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Bossy, Coffey and Orr.

Scenario #2

My givens: Clarke, Gainey, and Orr.

Gainey is the best defensive winger of all-time. Clarke perhaps the best defensive center, and a dominant face-off man. Orr dominant at both ends of the ice.

Other options .... Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Sawchuk ... Carbonneau, Jarvis, Lehtinen, Fedorov, Peca, Ramsey, Robinson, Potvin, Bourque, Harvey, Shore, Chelios

My thoughts: I want another center, in case Clarke gets tossed, and my decision ultimately become Jarvis or Carbonneau, and I'll select Carbonneau.

As for the defenseman ... I'll take Eddie Shore, and his physical nastiness to play along side Orr.

Now to choose the goalie, while I think Roy had the greatest career any goalie has ever had, nobosy has ever played better than Hasek during the mid-to-late 90's.

Gainey - Clarke - Carbonneau
Orr - Shore
Hasek

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Interesting thread;

Scenario 1
First player that came to mind was the Rocket. Second thing was who would take the face off. Probably Lemieux. My line up is:

Rocket /Gretzy /Lemieux
Harvey /Orr
Bobby Hull

Scenario #2

Pretty much the same guys. The best can play both ways;

Howe/Lemieux/ hull
Orr/Shore
Sawchuk

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Scenario 1
Rocket, Mario, Gretzky,Lafleur, Hull, Orr

Scenario 2
Gainey, Clarke, Kennedy, Orr, Harvey, Roy

Call it a hunch, but I couldn't get Kennedy out of my head when I was thinking about this. I would also really want two centers on the ice just in case.

Last edited:

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
Using only current players

Scenario 1
Brind'Amour, Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr, Smyth, Niedermayer

Scenario 2
Brind'Amour, Draper, Lehtinen, Regehr, Chara, Brodeur

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
The best 6?

I'm only going by who I've seen live in action. Obviously these aren't the best 6 choices, but just the 6 best I've been lucky enough to have seen.........

Goalie pulled: Dionne, Simmer, Taylor, and Gretzky. On the point, Coffey and Orr.

Ogopogo*

4 D's? Isnt that a bit of an unorthodox solution? What if Esa gets kicked out of the faceoff circle? :dunno:

In a desperate situation, I don't care about positions. I want the players that are the best to do the job. Give me 4 dmen and Tikkanen if I have to keep the puck out of the net.

Schitzo

Jul 29, 2006
I'm feeling awfully young in this thread right now, but in scenario 1, assuming you want a front-of-the-net, garbage goal forward, who's your best choice? Ryan Smyth? Dino Ciccarelli? Glenn Anderson?

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I'm feeling awfully young in this thread right now, but in scenario 1, assuming you want a front-of-the-net, garbage goal forward, who's your best choice? Ryan Smyth? Dino Ciccarelli? Glenn Anderson?

Phil Esposito is probably the best at that. It's not just age, I'm younger than alot of others, I just find reading up on PCHA players is a hobby...

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Up by a goal I want 2 great faceoff men. I want guys who can understand and follow assignments, so from players I've seen.

Clarke, Gainey, then Carbo,Trottier, someone like that. All would block shots, hustle to th epoint,whatever it took and wouldn't lose their man.

On D, I'd sleep easy with Robinson and Svard there. They just knew how to win. Orr would be fine,Langway wouldn't let anyone near the net, Stevens too, but I'll let my CH sunglasses guide me. They executed under those conditions together so often,I'd rest easy.

To get a goal, well you still want a great faceoff man, I'd trust Beliveau. I'd have Lemieux on the lw, Lafleur on the rightside. Bourque and Orr would be of at the blueline. The 6th man, well Hull, [any of 'em,] Howe, Esposito,Bossy, Gretzky any of them. My only reason for not taking #99 is Beliveau was better on thedraw,I believe. Still, Gretzky could replace Lafleur and come off the boards, I don't see how I could go wrong.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
#1 Phil Esposito, Mario Lemieux, Mike Bossy, Jaromir Jagr, Paul Coffey & Börje Salming

#2 Bob Gainey, Doug Jarvis, Tim Horton, Zdeno Chara, Serge Savard & Vladislav Tretiak

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
I'll just do #1 right now:
Mario Lemieux-Don't really have to explain much. He'll probably take the draw for me, and try to dominate allong the boards with his strength. He can move to the side boards at times too.

Wayne Gretzky-Again, no real explanation needed. Probably get him to set-up at the half boards, and rotate to behind the net.

Maurice Richard-Create traffic infront of the net, plus probably the best clutch goal scorer ever.

Bobby Orr-Another no brainer. I'll probably use Bobby to move all around the zone, and cause havoc. Maybe set up a play where he goes right across the crease...Wayne should be able to set him up.

Now my point men are:
Bobby Hull-Just have him tee it up from the point...or pass it off and move into the high slot, to look for the one timer coming from Gretzky or Orr.

Al MacInnis-Now he stays at the point. Try to get movement and have him move into the centre of the ice. I just hope he doesn't hit poor Maurice in front of the net.

Lux Aurumque*

Using only more recent players

Scenario #1
Gretzky/Brind'Amour/Lemieux/Hossa
Bondra/Kovalchuk

Scenario #2
Peca/Lemieux
Lidstrom/Pronger/Niedermayer
Roy

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003

Scenario #1

Moore-Beliveau-Richard-Richard-Harvey-Johnson (against the competition of their time).

Scenario # 2

Gainey-Jarvis-Wilson-Robinson-Savard-Dryden. Good night.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I'm picking players of whom I have some recollection (some memories are more active than others):

Scenario 1: Lemieux, Esposito, Gretzky, Kerr, Orr, Coffey.

Scenario 2: Clarke, Tikkanen, Gainey, L. Robinson, S. Savard and Brodeur (edging out Parent).

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Lafleur, Orr, Bourque.

Gainey, Trottier, Clarke, Stevens, Bourque, Dryden.

Roger's Pancreas*

Scenario 1
Messier-Gretzky-Neely
Esposito-Lindros-Orr

Scenario 2
Lindsay-Clarke-Howe
Orr-Stevens
Fuhr

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
For scenario 1 I'd absolutley want Adam Oates taking the draw. Lemieux at LW, Brett Hull at RW, Gretzky as the centre, Orr on the point and Esposito in front of the net.

Scenario 2 I'd want Roy in goal. Carbonneau taking the face-off. Gainey on one wing, Langway and Bourque on defence, and possibly Bondra on the other wing, because he's decent in his own zone, but he has the speed to take the puck up ice, and he's a decent bet one-on-one.
I think it'd be foolish to pack the ice with purely defensive players for scenario. The best way to avoid conceding a goal is to keep the puck in your possesion, in the other team's zone.

kevin t

Jul 7, 2006
The 6 Skaters:

Maurice "Rocket" Richard
Mario Lemieux
Jarmoir Jagr
Bobby Orr
Paul Coffey
Mike Bossy

The 5 Skaters to Protect + 1 Netminder

Ron Brind'Amour
Bobby Clarke
Michael Peca
Tim Horton
Scott Stevens

Vlad Tretiak

Riffo*

Scenario #1

Gretzky-Bossy-Esposito
Orr-Lidstrom-Lafleur

Scenario # 2

Roy
Orr-Lidstrom
Yzerman-Trottier-Sakic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad