Lidstrom - "Adam Larsson carries #5 with Dignity"

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
The only way they do it is if they go back to two D at the points, but since the PP was 8th overall they won't do a big system change. Taking Severson off it for Lars makes zero sense.

I'd like that, putting sevs with larsson would allow severson to jump into the ply even more, and they wouldnt exactly be hrd minutes for larsson either.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
The only way they do it is if they go back to two D at the points, but since the PP was 8th overall they won't do a big system change. Taking Severson off it for Lars makes zero sense.

What about swapping Schlemko's PP time with Larsson?

I have a theory that Hynes likes Schlemko on the PP because he is a fast skater. It has got nothing to do with passing or shooting ability. He can rush the puck up ice quickly when the other opposition ice the puck.

I would take Larsson passing and even his shooting ability over Schlemko, even considering how rare Larssson shoots the puck.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We definitely need to sign a legit 2nd pairing DMan that can play tough minutes this offseason. I think that might be even close to as big of a need as bolstering the forward corps. I think by doing that, we can distribute the minutes a lot better which in turn, might help the offense improve.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
kempny at #2 is very interesting, wouldn't mind shero going after him

Elliotte Friedman said that Chicago, Buffalo, and Vancouver are the early favorites (Dreger previously mentioned Chicago as well): http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-panthers-chart-bold-new-direction/

Czech defender Michal Kempny has some outstanding possession numbers. Buffalo, Chicago and Vancouver are among his most serious pursuers.

Friedman also mentioned several teams going after Vadim Shipachev (or Shipachyov depending on the writer). Shipachev added another three points today against Germany.

One GM had a good line about Vadim Shipachyov, who leads all scorers with 13 points in seven games after the preliminary round. Asked if he was having any luck signing him, the exec replied, “I’m trying like everyone else.†So it’s pretty intense.

Kempny might be a tough since he still has to sign a 1 year ELC because he's 26. So teams are going to offer performance bonuses and a team like Chicago is going to look a lot more attractive.

Shipachev is 29, so he doesn't have any restrictions.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Everyone makes mistakes. Even the very best players have moments like that. The good thing is that it's becoming more and more rare for Lars to have a moment like that.

kiwidevil

Larsson has had a tendency to not just make a bad pass, but perfectly bad passes. He has done that a few times in the NHL too.

He definitely seems be lacking a vital piece to be a great all around offensive Dman. Not sure what it is.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Larsson has had a tendency to not just make a bad pass, but perfectly bad passes. He has done that a few times in the NHL too.

He definitely seems be lacking a vital piece to be a great all around offensive Dman. Not sure what it is.

His skating holds him back from being that kind of offensive threat IMO. He's not slow, but he's not really quick, if that makes any sense. He can still make good passes and I think actually has a decent shot that he probably doesn't use enough, but I don't think he's that extra guy on the rush, or guy who can skate it by himself. Which is perfectly fine. That's why it's nice to have a guy like Severson, whose skillset is more suited to being that type of player.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
His skating holds him back from being that kind of offensive threat IMO. He's not slow, but he's not really quick, if that makes any sense. He can still make good passes and I think actually has a decent shot that he probably doesn't use enough, but I don't think he's that extra guy on the rush, or guy who can skate it by himself. Which is perfectly fine. That's why it's nice to have a guy like Severson, whose skillset is more suited to being that type of player.

His shot is nowhere near decent. It's garbage. Weak and inaccurate, plus a painfully slow release IMO.

With a decent wrist shot, Larsson would be a pretty good offensive defenseman.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
His shot is nowhere near decent. It's garbage. Weak and inaccurate, plus a painfully slow release IMO.

His shot is fine. It is not weak at all and I don't really know why you think that. I think you may confusing his accuracy problems with a tendency to try and get it off the end-boards for assists.. trying to copy Lidstrom and failing.

The biggest problem with Larsson's shot is that he has no idea how or when to use it. In fact that's the biggest problem he has in the offensive zone in general. He's not bad in transition, but once play is forward, he doesn't know what to do. Maybe that will change, or maybe it won't.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't think his shot is very good either. Not quite as bad as you think, but not that good.

He does have a very deflectable shot though. That would probably contribute to a handful more points a year if used on the power play.

I think with regular PP time, he might have another 12-15 points. That's not out of the question. I think he could be a 35 point guy with a lot of power play time. Maybe even a 40 point guy some years.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
His shot is fine. It is not weak at all and I don't really know why you think that. I think you may confusing his accuracy problems with a tendency to try and get it off the end-boards for assists.. trying to copy Lidstrom and failing.

The biggest problem with Larsson's shot is that he has no idea how or when to use it. In fact that's the biggest problem he has in the offensive zone in general. He's not bad in transition, but once play is forward, he doesn't know what to do. Maybe that will change, or maybe it won't.

His slapshot is okay, but his wrister is not. Watching him QBing their PP made it clearer to me. He did everything right until he had to shot the puck. His shot is easy to block because of the slow release and it isn't hard or well placed enough to beat good goalies.

Still think he could be a good PP player, especially playing with Palmieri and Zacha, two guys with rockets of shots. His IQ and passing ability are off the charts.

I don't think his shot is very good either. Not quite as bad as you think, but not that good.

He does have a very deflectable shot though. That would probably contribute to a handful more points a year if used on the power play.

I think with regular PP time, he might have another 12-15 points. That's not out of the question. I think he could be a 35 point guy with a lot of power play time. Maybe even a 40 point guy some years.

yeah, I agree. His bread and butter as a PP player gonna be assist off reflections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad