Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Which kind of goofed me a bit. Watching him at WJC he was a wing with Necas IIRC, yet he's always called a C by NYR at every turn.

He didn't play center in Zlin, he didn't play center at the U18s. It's only after he was drafted that he was labeled a center. I still don't get why

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
He didn't play center in Zlin, he didn't play center at the U18s. It's only after he was drafted that he was labeled a center. I still don't get why

size, skill, and skating ability?

Maybe NYR thinks they can turn him into one? Just a guess.

One thing is certain, the sky is the limit with Chytil. Kid doesn't seem to understand the word "can't". He just accepts the challenge and "does".

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean, Elias Pettersson rarely played C in his draft year or D+1 and now he's a rookie C in NHL. It's not black/White, we'll see what Chytil is going forward, no doors are closed.
Max Domi was a C until he was traded at 16 and then he played wing until middle of last year. Then he was moved back to C. He's still playing C for Montreal and doing really well.

I always thought that if one had to move to wing, it should be Chytil, as Andersson's game I think is well-suited for the position. Or, more so than Chytil, anyway.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
size, skill, and skating ability?

Maybe NYR thinks they can turn him into one? Just a guess.

One thing is certain, the sky is the limit with Chytil. Kid doesn't seem to understand the word "can't". He just accepts the challenge and "does".

As much as I love Chytil, I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment. Not that he won't be a good player, but if I read stuff like "The sky is the limit" I expect people to talk about McDavid, not Chytil.

As talented as he is, Chytil has his limitations which some people refuse to see. I just don't see him as a center because he's not responsible enough defensively. In that way he reminds me of a young Draisaitl

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Which kind of goofed me a bit. Watching him at WJC he was a wing with Necas IIRC, yet he's always called a C by NYR at every turn.

I'm pretty sure he centered CR's 2nd line at WJC. I remember being annoyed he got little ice time with Zadina or Necas.

Checking it looks like he played with Safin and Zachar (at least to start?) they're both wingers so I am guessing he was at center?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
As much as I love Chytil, I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment. Not that he won't be a good player, but if I read stuff like "The sky is the limit" I expect people to talk about McDavid, not Chytil.

As talented as he is, Chytil has his limitations which some people refuse to see. I just don't see him as a center because he's not responsible enough defensively. In that way he reminds me of a young Draisaitl

The more I watch him, the more I agree with this. He doesn’t look like he has a natural feel for the position. One of the more amusing notions I’ve seen is moving Zibanejad off center, a position he clearly understands, in order to put Chytil there. IMO, Chytil is more likely to fulfill his potential on the wing than at center.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The more I watch him, the more I agree with this. He doesn’t look like he has a natural feel for the position. One of the more amusing notions I’ve seen is moving Zibanejad off center, a position he clearly understands, in order to put Chytil there. IMO, Chytil is more likely to fulfill his potential on the wing than at center.

I feel the push for Chytil at center is because of his high skill level and because it’s tempting to envision a 6’2/6’3, 220 pound center doing what he can do.

But I continue to see a player who looks like an NHL wing to me.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Appears that Vesey was bumped up to the second line while Kreider is on the first. Anyone know if Andersson is on the Third line or are they putting someone else there?

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I don't think Chytil is a center but boy does he already look like more of a center than Mika Zibanijeh who definitely should be a winger. Idk. Chytil just looks like a winger and plays like one although in this recent surge he has looked more comfortable as a center also creating for his teammates.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If there's one thing that Chytil is kind of bad at---it's face-offs. 22 wins-54 losses. Got to be better than that and I expect in time he will be. He works as a wing very well for now. I like the idea of him as a center otherwise--he's got the size, skating and all the stick skills that he could become a very good center. Andersson could end up as a wing too. Howden's pretty much got center written all over him though.

One of the reasons I really like Hayes is he's not just got good size but he has great size for a center. He's also great at protecting the puck and he can make plays and his skating is pretty good as well. His point production seems to finally be going up a tad as well. I think this is going to be a 55-60 point season for him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Is everyone forgetting he was a first line center for Hartford all last year at barely 18 and dominated on most nights?Kid is a center. Why would you pull a horse like that out of the middle when it’s the most important position?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is everyone forgetting he was a first line center for Hartford all last year at barely 18 and dominated on most nights?Kid is a center. Why would you pull a horse like that out of the middle when it’s the most important position?
Being able to center in the AHL is different than doing it in the NHL. Just like being a good center in the OHL doesn't mean you can do it in the AHL. Each level your responsibilities increase and it gets harder to succeed there. I'm not saying Chytil can't be a good NHL center, but being one in the AHL doesn't sell me on it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Being able to center in the AHL is different than doing it in the NHL. Just like being a good center in the OHL doesn't mean you can do it in the AHL. Each level your responsibilities increase and it gets harder to succeed there. I'm not saying Chytil can't be a good NHL center, but being one in the AHL doesn't sell me on it.

He was The youngest guy in the AHL man.

Barely 18

He was supposed to score and be Bergeron in his own end in his first year in NA at barely 18? And people are saying he never plays center well he just spent a year doing it at the AHL he played center in the WJCs so that argument is silly

The issues people are pointing out for why he shouldn’t be a center. Faceoffs and defensive positioning are literally the two easiest things to fix and literally almost every kid needs to learn them when getting to pro hockey from juniors

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

JT Miller was an excellent AHL center

Reactions: Inferno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad