Confirmed with Link: LHD Brian Doumoulin signed (2yers at 3.15M AAV)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, doesn't make much sense unless a defenseman is moved or they're not able to re-sign either Dunn or Borgen.

Though, I wouldn't want to replace Dunn with Doumoulin.
Exactly. He is not a Dunn replacement but potentially could mean we are moving out Borgen in a trade and roll with some combination of Megna, Dumo, Evans for the 3rd pairing. Still a downgrade in my opinion from Borgen-Soucy.

Reactions: G Backup

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah, doesn't make much sense unless a defenseman is moved or they're not able to re-sign either Dunn or Borgen.

Though, I wouldn't want to replace Dunn with Doumoulin.

Right? Look, I’m not trashing Doumoulin. Hes a good player. He’s a good like for like player that we lost (though not exactly since Soucy was pretty even on either side). I just think it’s a weird move and REEKS of something else brewing and this signing being the first domino to fall. I think overall the question marks it brings up are why I’m not “oh, ok, this is cool”… well that and I think it’s a slight overpay in light of the players we lost today for a grand total of $6 million in cap space (not counting Soucy). I think we could have made it all happen and got Dunn and Borgen on and filled the roster. Granted if it ends up with Karlsson at like 30% retained, we will have made up for all the lost points with 1 player.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Right? Look, I’m not trashing Doumoulin. Hes a good player. He’s a good like for like player that we lost (though not exactly since Soucy was pretty even on either side). I just think it’s a weird move and REEKS of something else brewing and this signing being the first domino to fall. I think overall the question marks it brings up are why I’m not “oh, ok, this is cool”… well that and I think it’s a slight overpay in light of the players we lost today for a grand total of $6 million in cap space (not counting Soucy). I think we could have made it all happen and got Dunn and Borgen on and filled the roster. Granted if it ends up with Karlsson at like 30% retained, we will have made up for all the lost points with 1 player.
I think Borgen is a trade asset whose value in on his way up. Might be a piece that Francis is comfortable moving him for a roster upgrade.

But in a vacuum, given our current roster, this signing makes no sense.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
If the pay were less I’d be thinking “ok, Soucy replacement”. You have:

Dunn-Larsson
Oleksiak-Schultz
Doumoulin-Borgen
Fleury/Megna

I mean, it’s not a downgrade, so perhaps this is it. Now.. to find all those lost 4th line points!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think Borgen is a trade asset whose value in on his way up. Might be a piece that Francis is comfortable moving him for a roster upgrade.

But in a vacuum, given our current roster, this signing makes no sense.

Well, with Shaq already having his restaurant at CPA and certainly cats somewhere in the city as well....
giphy.gif

:D

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
I am curious if they only offered Soucy two years and he took the Canucks deal as he gets one more year. My feelings are the same: Doumoulin is good, but why not just keep Soucy?

Reactions: majormajor

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Here’s the thing… Doumoulin in his prime was better than Soucy. The problem is he’s had a couple bad seasons in a row… but if he’s able to bounce back and be that guy again, we won’t be giving up very many goals.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh fans on reddit are saying Dumoulin is in decline and not really up to a top 4 role any more. Maybe he is just a Soucy replacement, with some upside if a fresh start rejuvenates him? Maybe Soucy wanted more opportunity to crack a second pair, or the extra year was the sticking point?

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
I also wonder, were Doumoulin and Schultz a defensive pairing in Pitt? Perhaps the team decided to bring Doumoulin in after losing Soucy to pair back up with Schultz.

One positive thing about this signing is that the Kraken do not have to rush Evans to the NHL this year and give him at least one more year in the AHL

Reactions: Kevinsane

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Don't get this unless Borgen or Schultz are on their way out. Why not just bring Soucy back.
I don't think Dumoulin plays the right side, and I think Borgen and Schultz are pretty set on the right.

I think this may be them realizing that Megna was not what they had hoped he'd be and that Evans is likely not ready to start the year in the actual lineup.

My only issue is that keeping Soucy would probably have been the better move.

*edit* My last sentence was cut off, and what I was saying was, "so yes, I agree, the decision to let Soucy walk when he only cost what he did is a headscratcher"

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This isn't a too-many-bodies situation. If you have 7 NHL D (counting Evans but not Megna) chances are that no one is getting healthy scratched for most of the year. There will be injuries and everyone will play. The club has been lucky so far to avoid injuries but that won't last. You can start Evans in Coachella if you have to and he'll be moved up shortly when the injuries begin.

If the pay were less I’d be thinking “ok, Soucy replacement”. You have:

Dunn-Larsson
Oleksiak-Schultz
Doumoulin-Borgen
Fleury/Megna

I mean, it’s not a downgrade, so perhaps this is it. Now.. to find all those lost 4th line points!

I actually think this is a significant downgrade on Soucy. Soucy is a much better player than current Dumo so I regret that we didn't just keep him. Same cap hit, only one extra year.

Reactions: Irie

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
This isn't a too-many-bodies situation. If you have 7 NHL D (counting Evans but not Megna) chances are that no one is getting healthy scratched for most of the year. There will be injuries and everyone will play. The club has been lucky so far to avoid injuries but that won't last. You can start Evans in Coachella if you have to and he'll be moved up shortly when the injuries begin.

I actually think this is a significant downgrade on Soucy. Soucy is a much better player than current Dumo so I regret that we didn't just keep him. Same cap hit, only one extra year.

I think Dumo is only 2 seasons removed from being better than Soucy has ever been. That said, Dump now? You’re right, but perhaps with sheltered minutes on the third pairing he can get his mojo back.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Dumo is only 2 seasons removed from being better than Soucy has ever been. That said, Dump now? You’re right, but perhaps with sheltered minutes on the third pairing he can get his mojo back.

That's not usually how age works lol.

Time sure hasn't helped my body lol.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Can pretty much say this is a head scratcher. Don't like this signing as it stands right now at all. Another shoe to drop??

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Dumo is toast. His body has just taken too much abuse, particularly leg/ankle. Broken bones, lacerated tendons, concussion, other stuff. Watching his rapid decline over the past couple of years has been tough. He's a great guy, excellent teammate, but a mere shadow of the player he was 5 years ago. Francis will regret this one. We would have been better off paying Soucy and tolerating his mindblowingly stupid occasional gaffes.

Reactions: Gurglesons

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I am curious if they only offered Soucy two years and he took the Canucks deal as he gets one more year. My feelings are the same: Doumoulin is good, but why not just keep Soucy?
Soucy also needed to want to resign here - I think he may see he can be a top 4 D in Vancouver which he won't be here...Plus the extra year of pay

Reactions: rsteen

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Brian Dumoulin is one of my favorite players in my 30+ years of watching the Penguins.

He is absolutely shot. He was a player who largely was great because of physical abilities and his IQ. His physical abilities are shot and he seems to not be able to make up for it physically anymore.

I said the same thing about Justin Schultz tho’ and you guys got a decent year outta him.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Soucy also needed to want to resign here - I think he may see he can be a top 4 D in Vancouver which he won't be here...Plus the extra year of pay
Yup, I'm sure the money was in the same range, he just wanted to go. Maybe he felt he wouldn't be able to finish his career in Seattle because of the prospects. Who knows why, we can only speculate.
Dumo is a smarter player, we're talking 3rd pair anyways. (I hope, lol) Better than nothing. I'm more interested in what Francis is gonna do with the forwards. I want to see a discount deal on one of the aging vets, he's gotta pick up somebody one way or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad