Let's Watch - 1996/9/14 - Game 3 1996 World Cup Of Hockey - Canada vs United States at Montréal

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Legendary game. Looking forward to a rewatch - arguably the peak of U.S. Hockey in terms of line-up strength, top to bottom. Not taking anything away from the 1980 team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Legendary game. Looking forward to a rewatch - arguably the peak of U.S. Hockey in terms of line-up strength, top to bottom. Not taking anything away from the 1980 team.

The 1980 team was the genesis of the 1996 team.

I was at the game as a US fan and we were outnumbered 9-1. An hour after the game downtown Montreal was deserted and it was a Saturday night.

Crosstraffic

Mar 15, 2015
Yorba Linda, CA
Game was shown on fx (which very few cable systems had, LA only had 1 RSN at the time and it was showing USC football live) and had to go to a sports bar to watch the CBC feed, place went nuts when Amonte took the lead.

Revolutionary

Oct 12, 2020
Leetch was great in this tourney. One of the reasons I have him as the best defenseman of the 90s.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I will be honest.

This game ranks as my #1 top sports disappointment of all-time. I was 13 years old at the time (born 1983). I remember back to 1987 though when it comes to watching live hockey games, plus had all the home-recorded VHS tapes of past significant hockey games and owned all the books.

I have usually gotten more invested in international games than most NHL games.

Before this game, there was that aura of invincibility about Team Canada and being a Canadian hockey fan. Yes, the USA was stealing all of our teams. Yes, we viewed Bettman as the U.S. lawyer who wanted to Americanize the game.

But we still had our national team and our heroes. We still could say "You can have all the teams, but we still have all the best players".

This night changed all of that.

And it changed all of that in the most stereotypically un-Canadian way possible.

Usually it was the Canadian teams coming back against all odds and winning.

The comeback from down 3-1 games in the 1972 Summit Series.

The comeback from down 1-0 games in best-of-3 1987 Canada Cup, and then the comeback from down 3-0 in the decisive Game 3 of that series.

To have the USA come back from down 2-1 with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd period? That was devastating.

National ideology indicated that only Canadian hockey players had the type of heart to comeback when down in the 3rd period of a deciding game.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How many of you thought Canada had it in the bag when Foote scored?

I did.

I will be honest.

This game ranks as my #1 top sports disappointment of all-time.

That's true for me too. Canada hasn't lost many elimination or championship games at the best on best level in hockey, but this one is the one that I dislike the most easily. Ahead of the Nagano semi-finals and well ahead of losing at the 2006 Olympics and being obliterated in the 1981 Canada Cup. There are a few reasons for that, but on the whole USA did outplay Canada in that tournament so there isn't much left to say. Game 3 was a great game in terms of play and not quite what the sore indicates.

I doubt that it will ever happen, but I'd love to have this tournament, or at least the big games, released on home media. The finals, Canada vs Sweden in the semi-finals, and a few other games.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I will be honest.

This game ranks as my #1 top sports disappointment of all-time. I was 13 years old at the time (born 1983). I remember back to 1987 though when it comes to watching live hockey games, plus had all the home-recorded VHS tapes of past significant hockey games and owned all the books.

I have usually gotten more invested in international games than most NHL games.

Before this game, there was that aura of invincibility about Team Canada and being a Canadian hockey fan. Yes, the USA was stealing all of our teams. Yes, we viewed Bettman as the U.S. lawyer who wanted to Americanize the game.

But we still had our national team and our heroes. We still could say "You can have all the teams, but we still have all the best players".

This night changed all of that.

And it changed all of that in the most stereotypically un-Canadian way possible.

Usually it was the Canadian teams coming back against all odds and winning.

The comeback from down 3-1 games in the 1972 Summit Series.

The comeback from down 1-0 games in best-of-3 1987 Canada Cup, and then the comeback from down 3-0 in the decisive Game 3 of that series.

To have the USA come back from down 2-1 with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd period? That was devastating.

National ideology indicated that only Canadian hockey players had the type of heart to comeback when down in the 3rd period of a deciding game.

I did.

That's true for me too. Canada hasn't lost many elimination or championship games at the best on best level in hockey, but this one is the one that I dislike the most easily. Ahead of the Nagano semi-finals and well ahead of losing at the 2006 Olympics and being obliterated in the 1981 Canada Cup. There are a few reasons for that, but on the whole USA did outplay Canada in that tournament so there isn't much left to say. Game 3 was a great game in terms of play and not quite what the sore indicates.

I doubt that it will ever happen, but I'd love to have this tournament, or at least the big games, released on home media. The finals, Canada vs Sweden in the semi-finals, and a few other games.

As I posted earlier I was at the game.

I was supposed to work that night but I switched off and took the overnight bus from Boston to Montreal and bought a single ticket at the box office at 9 AM in the first row of the 300 level. I met friends before the game and then sat by myself.

The people around me pretended they did not speak English during most of the game :rolleyes: but with 5 minutes left I screamed 'We got them, kill them' and the person next to me said 'Yes you do'. At the end of the game, the people around me gave me congratulations.

I was convinced Gretzky was going to tie the game with 45 seconds left but.............. and 5 seconds later the US scored on the open net.

The legacy of that game was USA/Canada was now a true rivalry - before it was hammer against the nail and the game is better for that.

A year and a half later CBS showed USA/Canada LIVE from Japan in the 1998 Olympics.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I was supposed to work that night but I switched off and took the overnight bus from Boston to Montreal and bought a single ticket at the box office at 9 AM in the first row of the 300 level. I met friends before the game and then sat by myself.

The people around me pretended they did not speak English during most of the game :rolleyes: but with 5 minutes left I screamed 'We got them, kill them' and the person next to me said 'Yes you do'. At the end of the game, the people around me gave me congratulations.

I was convinced Gretzky was going to tie the game with 45 seconds left but.............. and 5 seconds later the US scored on the open net.

The legacy of that game was USA/Canada was now a true rivalry - before it was hammer against the nail and the game is better for that.

A year and a half later CBS showed USA/Canada LIVE from Japan in the 1998 Olympics.

Things are definitely more interesting with more credible teams at the top level. Part of the reason that the 1991 Canada Cup is lacklustre, and there are a few reasons, is that at that point USA vs Canada in the finals didn't feel like a real matchup. In 1996 things were obviously different.

That's a nice recent upload. I will be watching Canada vs USA from 1998 later as I haven't seen the full game since it aired.

Reactions: Fenway

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

This game, the Orr flying goal- that's a heck of a 'I was at this game as a hockey fan' resume

Reactions: Fenway

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Look forward to watching this later when (if) I have time... it was a humdinger of a final series!

I don't have any bad feelings about Canada losing this game/series. It was a coin-flip, and the bounces (and possible high-stick by Hull) went the USA's way. But the Americans deserved it, and fair play to them.

The 1998 Canadian loss on the other hand... don't get me started.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I remember the FX deal, in most of the US it was only on FX, but I vaguely remember MSG carrying games in the NY area. For such a great tourney it got no coverage here. Granted I was only 8 at the time, but by living in the Clerks area of NJ, the US played games in Philly, NY and Montreal, all were accessible ughh to have been 10 years older lol. For those who went how was the ticket availability and pricing? Is the bad coverage in the maybe why they went to St.Paul in 04?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't have time to watch this, but would appreciate if you guys could let me know what the ES D-pairs were for each team.

Thanks in advance!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Canada:
Stevens - Desjardins
Niedermayer - Odelein
Coffey - Foote

USA:
Suter - Chelios
Leetch - D. Hatcher
Schneider - K. Hatcher
That kind of tells the story, doesn't it? Forwards were probably a bit better for Canada, but the USA defence was way, way better.

At the end of this series, USA was overall +11 in goal differential and Canada +1.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
That kind of tells the story, doesn't it? Forwards were probably a bit better for Canada, but the USA defence was way, way better.

At the end of this series, USA was overall +11 in goal differential and Canada +1.

Im american but I remember Canada's line combos,

Damphousse-Gretzky-Linden
Shanahan-Sakic-Lindros
Graves-Messier-C.Lemieux
Yzerman-Brind'Amour-Fleury

Does anyone remember the US's forwards????

edinson

May 11, 2012

Not sure I would call them way, way better but sure, they definitely look better. Leetch and Chelios are probably the two best defensemen on both teams and Odelein looks pretty bad here, although I don't think he was bad in this game specifically. Also, USA was definitely the best team over the whole tournament but in the finals I'd say they were equal or maybe a slight edge to Canada. So I don't think it was USA's defence that won them the series as much as it was Richter. Canada outshot the US 109-86 over the three finals games.

Im american but I remember Canada's line combos,

Damphousse-Gretzky-Linden
Shanahan-Sakic-Lindros
Graves-Messier-C.Lemieux
Yzerman-Brind'Amour-Fleury

Does anyone remember the US's forwards????

Tkachuk - Modano - Guerin
LeClair - Smolinski - Amonte
LaFontaine - Otto - Deadmarsh
Hull - Weight - Young

Last edited:

edinson

May 11, 2012
Interesting to see Hull on the left side, especially since he had such a good tournament and was named to the AS Team
Yeah, he was great in that tournament. The combinations I wrote was for the finals G3 but I went through the box scores and it seems he played with Young and Weight for most of the tournament. Should be noted though that a lot of his scoring was outside of 5-on-5. He had 2G+3A 5-on-5 in the tournament. 3+1 on the PP, 1+0 SH and 1+0 4-on-4.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yeah, he was great in that tournament. The combinations I wrote was for the finals G3 but I went through the box scores and it seems he played with Young and Weight for most of the tournament. Should be noted though that a lot of his scoring was outside of 5-on-5. He had 2G+3A 5-on-5 in the tournament. 3+1 on the PP, 1+0 SH and 1+0 4-on-4.

I had a feeling this was going to be the case. Always a good PP player, but just from memory, it seemed like he never lost anything in that department against better teams/opponents like you might see from other guys who relied on exposing weaknesses. This may speak to his skillset, if the puck can be moved east-west, there's not much you can do about a quick, accurate, hard shot. He was a strong playoff performer throughout his career.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Interesting to look back at that Canadian roster. I see some omissions but can't recall why. Bourque, Lemieux, Kariya, Francis are four that I can see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad