Let's Watch... (1968/3/10) CBS Game Of The Week - Toronto at Chicago IN COLOR

danderson400

May 21, 2015
In the newest installment of this feature, we watch a game from March 10, 1968 at Chicago Stadium between Toronto and Chicago as seen on CBS.

The tape begins with 5 minutes gone in the second period and continues until the last minute when CBS decided the game was over and went to a children's movie - The Heidi fiasco was still a few months away.

View attachment 195553

This is certainly one of the oldest color videotapes of the NHL in existence and the quality is exceptional.

Stu Nahan and Jim Gordon call the action from 51 years ago.

1967-68 Toronto Maple Leafs Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
1967-68 Chicago Black Hawks Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Previous editions:
(1959/4/07) SCSF Game 7 - Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins

(1966/4/14) Toronto Maple Leafs vs Montreal Canadiens
(1960/4/7) Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs
(1963/4/18) Toronto Maple Leafs vs Detroit Red Wings
(1963/12/7) Toronto Maple Leafs vs Chicago Black Hawks
(1965/4/1) Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs

CBC always televised each Stanley Cup playoff game to its conclusion, even if it meant that The National be delayed.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Reference is made at the beginning of the recorded broadcast of Minnesota playing the Flyers in Québec.

I could not remember the Flyers playing home games in Québec, but I thought it might have been one of the conditions of the sale of the AHL Québec Aces to the Flyers.

I then found that the Flyers played their last 7 home games on foreign ices to end the 1967-68 because a winter storm blew off part of the roof of the Spectrum.

They played one game in New York, one in Toronto and the last 5 in Québec.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
This is incredible. To whoever found this, thank you! Are there may other games from the 1960s that can be found in colour nowadays?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It think would be an American city because you have NBC listings on Channel 4,and ABC on 7(Sunday Night Movie-always a blockbuster).Channel 2 looks like Educational/Public TV.

BTW,good call by CBS to cut to the Czech kid's movie.I loved the dream sequence where the kid thinks he's in the Olympics.It was part of CBS international kids film festival which was usually on Saturday lunchtime on my CBS station.

Yes,I am that old.

I remember that movie! I think the kid's last name was Papacek. I used to watch the hockey game of the week, but I remember it being on Saturdays's on NBC. I suppose that CBS carried it for a few years. I was Bruins fan during the Bobby Orr years.

Ed Sullivan and Mission Impossible were both CBS shows on Sunday nights (Channel 5 on this). I barely remember Dan Briggs (Steven Hill). I do remember Jim Phelps (Peter Graves) quite well. "Good Luck, Jim!" said the deep voice on the self destructing reel to reel tape.

Reactions: nnynetpotato

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Next best thing to a time tunnel is a broadcast like this one. Watching the action - in color/colour - and hearing the names (many of them destined to be Hockey Hall of Famers) sure brings back memories.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
In the newest installment of this feature, we watch a game from March 10, 1968 at Chicago Stadium between Toronto and Chicago as seen on CBS.

The tape begins with 5 minutes gone in the second period and continues until the last minute when CBS decided the game was over and went to a children's movie - The Heidi fiasco was still a few months away.​
This broadcast is as good as the one I posted.​

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This broadcast is as good as the one I posted.​

@Davenport I appreciate your contribution as this is the oldest surviving clip of an NHL game in color.

To me, the best part of the clip is how it shows the Hawks still didn't have a Zamboni in 1968 because the unions fought it and many workers scraped the ice.

Reactions: Davenport

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
This was my favorite edition of the Blackhawks. Two Hulls, Mikita, Wharram, Martin, Mohns, Maki and Nesterenko up front. Pilote, Stapleton, Marotte and Jarrett on the blueline. The BIG trade between Toronto and Detroit took place just a week before this game.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Ironically the only video from Game 7 of the 1971 SCF is the Blackhawks closed-circuit feed with Jim West doing the call - CBC had Danny Gallivan, CBS had Dan Kelly but those tapes don't exist

Before my time, but I love listening to Jim West do play-by-play for the Hawks in that era. If only more tapes were archived/preserved.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The 68 Blackhawks would have won the West Division going away but in a tough East Division they were on the outside looking in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad