Line Combos: Let's vote the Season Starting Lineups! 1st pairing Right Defenceman?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I picked Brendan Smith he has been very solid with Kronwall in the past, Ericsson just doesn't belong in the top 4 any more as of right now he's no better then a #5 defenceman especially with his hip injury I would rather see a Ericsson Quincey pairing on the 3rd line then Quincey Smith that just scares me to death.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Green's not an ideal option. But neither is Ericsson. And neither is Smith.

So I know everyone will disagree, but I'm going to go ahead and say Green. Green is the most talented of the 3 and has done it before.

Would try

Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Quincey
Ericsson-Smith

Sure, Dekeyser with Green sounds great. Sure, Green in an ideal world is probably suited more for a middle pair. But Kronwall-Ericsson and Quincey-Smith sounds like absolute ****.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Green's not an ideal option. But neither is Ericsson. And neither is Smith.

So I know everyone will disagree, but I'm going to go ahead and say Green. Green is the most talented of the 3 and has done it before.

Would try

Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Quincey
Ericsson-Smith

Sure, Dekeyser with Green sounds great. Sure, Green in an ideal world is probably suited more for a middle pair. But Kronwall-Ericsson and Quincey-Smith sounds like absolute ****.
Couldn't agree more, I like those pairing and hope Blashill considers it as well. Ericsson with Kronwall and Quincey and Smith just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I voted Smith and it separates those two Kryptonites (Smith & Quincey) of each other. That's the starting point for me to build any defence. Not. Those. Two. Together. Ever. Again.

Still haven't forgot that Boston-series, where Kronner and Smith did look good together.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I picked Marchenko , because 1. anybody but Erickson , 2. We need someone who is solid at defense and let Kronwall to help at offence 3. DD is good , but he needs to clean after GREEN 4. KQ is kind of slow for 1 line 5. Smith should be forward playing on wing with Pavel

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Kronwall-Green
D DeKeyser-Quincey
Ericsson-Smith/Marchenko/Ouellet
Kindl

1 Kronwall Green pairing would be very solid for us

2 D DeKeyser Quincey pairing was rock solid for us last year

3 Ericsson Smith or one of Marchenko/Ouellet would be pretty solid as well could move Smith to offense if need be.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Another vote for Smith. He looked good on the top pair with Kronwall in the past and lets be honest, there isn't a right or wrong answer here. Ericsson (although injured) wasn't great there, and I think he dragged Kronner down as well. I prefer to see Green with Der Kaiser on the 2nd pair.

So that leaves Smith. No Babcock might give him a bit of confidence so he's not playing scared all the time, and the responsibility of the top pair might cause him to grow. Oftentimes, it's what a player needs to grow (that expanded role).

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Mike Green is the only one that should sniff the top pairing besides Kronwall. Have some faith in your other defensemen. I'm sick of giving mediocre players top pairing minutes to balance out their awfulness. It's also something Kronwall doesn't get enough credit for; making up for Ericsson's crap while still being able to play his game.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
"Other" should be an option. I think John Scott would be a good "stay at home" compliment to Kronwall.

Since he's not an option, I'll go with Smith.

Overall, the defense is still lacking a defensive difference maker and leader. This team on paper is too error-prone in its own zone. I lost count with how many breakaways we gave up to Tampa. Green is a good addition offensively, but he won't help in the defensive zone.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Keeping in mind experience, balance and ability I'd roll with:

Kronwall - Smith
Ericsson - Green
Quincey - DeKeyser

But I'd prefer to rotate Ouellet and Marchenko in there as well. So they'd replace Smith and Quincey with Kindl as the odd one out. At least until they get a legitimate 1st pairing RD.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
No way I want Green and Kronner on the same pairing. We finally have 2 established puck movers it is much better to spread the wealth in this instance throughout the lineup. It is better to have our top 4 pairings each have someone who can facilitate our transition game and break the puck out of our d-zone.

I vote for Big Rig. He is still playing above his position (imho he is a steady #4 def-d man) and I hope he stays healthy so he doesn't look so far beyond his role.

I really hope we trade KFQ. We don't need him. And with him, Smith, and Green we have way to many top 6 D prone to taking stupid ****ing penalties. If he is not moved I all but guarentee that we once again are top 3 in penalties taken again this year. It would be best to get under the cap by moving him on and keeping one of XO, Marchenko, or Jensen on the roster.

By chance does anyone know when Lashoff's current deal is up?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Every time Lashoff puts on a pair of skates in the NHL, he should be getting Masterton Trophy votes. Maybe an ESPN 30 for 30 special.

CerealKiller

Oct 25, 2014
I picked E because that is what I think it will be. Not that I agree with it, I think they should give Smith a chance to show his offensive skills.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
"Other" should be an option. I think John Scott would be a good "stay at home" compliment to Kronwall.

Since he's not an option, I'll go with Smith.

Overall, the defense is still lacking a defensive difference maker and leader. This team on paper is too error-prone in its own zone. I lost count with how many breakaways we gave up to Tampa. Green is a good addition offensively, but he won't help in the defensive zone.

A large part of our D zone problems was our inability to do little more than chip it off the boards and give it straight back to the opposition in the neutral zone. Plus he's a righty.

So he won't help "defensively", but he will help us keep possession, which puts less pressure on the D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad