Line Combos: Let's vote the Season Starting Lineups! 1st Line RW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Even though he isn't the best atm due to having to prove he can create offense at the NHL level I am going with Jurco. Nyquist I don't understand at all he is a LW. But I can see why people are voting for him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even though he isn't the best atm due to having to prove he can create offense at the NHL level I am going with Jurco. Nyquist I don't understand at all he is a LW. But I can see why people are voting for him.

Nah, he is definitely a RW.

When he plays with Tatar, Tats is LW and he is RW.

When he plays with Abby, Abby is LW and he is RW.

When he plays with Franzen, Franzen is LW and he is RW.

Only person I can think of he played with and played the left side is maybe Jurco or Pulkkinen?

But he definitely prefers the right side and plays there far more often.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't even remember when has Nyquist played LW last time. He has been RW for a very long time. At Griffins Championhip run the 1st line was Tatar - Andersson - Nyquist.

He is the most skilled left-handed winger and it works best on the off side that way. If we would have more better righties, things could be different.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't even remember when has Nyquist played LW last time. He has been RW for a very long time. At Griffins Championhip run the 1st line was Tatar - Andersson - Nyquist.

He is the most skilled left-handed winger and it works best on the off side that way. If we would have more better righties, things could be different.

Last time I can remember I think is when he played on the 3rd line with Brunner?

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I would like to see Jurco be given that shot up there even though itll be Nyquist. Jurco needs a chance to be a better asset and Nyquist has abetter chance of playing better with worse teammates.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah it would be with Brunner in terms of Nyquist on the left. He also played the left with Ferraro out on the right and Sheahan centering for a little while as well in the AHL. He can both wings but I do think he is best on the right.

I actually am curious if Blashill will reunite Sheahan and Nyquist. He seemed to like pairing them together in the AHL a lot. With the news he is thinking of shifting Sheahan to wing maybe not, but I am fascinated if he reconnects them.

I think the reason he went with Andersson for the playoffs was the fact Andy played with both up in Detroit and the chemistry was there at that point. Pretty early in that season he actually shifted both guys to Sheahan for a while with good results.

As for the poll, I like playing Zetterberg with Gator at this point. First and foremost I don't think guys will take advantage of Z with him on the ice which I like, he also seems to have been big in turning Gator into a good player, Datsyuk has also figured this out. As much as people dump on Abdelkader at times, his predictable play style is something the more talented players exploit well and enjoy the space and chaos he creates. Nyquist is easily our most talented RW though.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I would like to see Jurco be given that shot up there even though itll be Nyquist. Jurco needs a chance to be a better asset and Nyquist has abetter chance of playing better with worse teammates.

Jurco has lots to prove before getting that chance, there are four natural wingers that are slam dunks over him(Nyquist, Tatar, Franzen, Abdelkader) on any wing. To win a top9 role would be big for him in this year's camp, even with Datsyuk out. Just assuming Richards, Sheahan, Glendening are the centers to start, he has to beat out one of Z, Tatar, Mule, Nyquist, Helm and Abdelkader. Pulkkinen is in that mix aswell, with Larkin somewhere in the background hoping to get his jersey.

He's got a two year deal, but I think this coming year is arguably bigger for him before the new guys with the Griffins really come along. Beating out Pulkkinen would be a start.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hard for me to vote for these, because...

Are we just voting for the best player? Best center, or best RW?

Because when I factor in chemistry and role, then I may vote for a different player. We don't just build lines based on the best LW, RW, and C. Though sometimes I know we wish we would.

Who I vote for the RW is going to depend on who is over at LW and C. It's going to depend a lot on that. So doing them 1 by 1 is pretty hard.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yep you're right he's listed as a LW but doesn't Zetterberg pretty much play LW when not centering on the top line and Abby switches to RW or do they switch it up from time to time.

Depends on his linemates.

When he is on a line with Z, and Z is a winger, I think you are right and Z takes LW and then Abby takes RW. The DZA line I am pretty sure lines up as:

Z-Datsyuk-Abby

But if he is on a line with Z as center, and Nyquist is the other winger, they line up as:

Abby-Z-Nyquist

So he does have that flexibility. Over the course of his career though, I would say he has spent more time as a LW. Most LH guys prefer the left side. Honestly I think Abby is just very much a team guy and lets guys like Z or Franzen have the left side when he pairs up with them.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Depends on his linemates.

When he is on a line with Z, and Z is a winger, I think you are right and Z takes LW and then Abby takes RW. The DZA line I am pretty sure lines up as:

Z-Datsyuk-Abby

But if he is on a line with Z as center, and Nyquist is the other winger, they line up as:

Abby-Z-Nyquist

So he does have that flexibility. Over the course of his career though, I would say he has spent more time as a LW. Most LH guys prefer the left side. Honestly I think Abby is just very much a team guy and lets guys like Z or Franzen have the left side when he pairs up with them.

Yep all depends on the lines and Blash will pretty much decide what lines will be used during training camp and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top line of Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist to open the season.

Maybe something like this.

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Sheahan-Richards-Tatar
Pulkkinen-Helm-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Ferraro
Andersson Callahan

On opening night.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hard for me to vote for these, because...

Are we just voting for the best player? Best center, or best RW?

Because when I factor in chemistry and role, then I may vote for a different player. We don't just build lines based on the best LW, RW, and C. Though sometimes I know we wish we would.

Who I vote for the RW is going to depend on who is over at LW and C. It's going to depend a lot on that. So doing them 1 by 1 is pretty hard.

That's how I try to build this voting. You vote the guy you think is the best to complement the existing spots. Now C and RW tends to be pretty clear... LW voting will be interesting. :)

You vote how you think the lines are best. Not the best individual, if you don't like it that way. So roles are a big factor for somebody like myself. Others can vote othervise, like the best individual but that's not how I do.

Just interesting to see the results. It doesn't have to be a perfect roster. It could be crazy lineup as hell. :D Does our board care about these roles? Or just individuals? Polls will tell.

I hope we'll see nice debates somewhere at middle6 and at cheking line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's how I try to build this voting. You vote the guy you think is the best to complement the existing spots. Now C and RW tends to be pretty clear... LW voting will be interesting. :)

You vote how you think the lines are best. Not the best individual, if you don't like it that way. So roles are a big factor for somebody like myself. Others can vote othervise, like the best individual but that's not how I do.

Just interesting to see the results. It doesn't have to be a perfect roster. It could be crazy lineup as hell. :D Does our board care about these roles? Or just individuals? Polls will tell.

I hope we'll see nice debates somewhere at middle6 and at cheking line.

Only problem with that is, the first poll for the first member of a line is going to have no other players already established, so you can't really factor in the other linemates yet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only problem with that is, the first poll for the first member of a line is going to have no other players already established, so you can't really factor in the other linemates yet.

These polls are open for only 2 days, so the "lineup" will be built pretty fast. LW poll is opened when the 1st line RW is clear (if that option is a realistic option also for the other side), then that guy is excluded from options etc.

I try to open these in a somekind of planned rhythm, not every position at same time. So positions will go locked in 2 days and then you will see who are left.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Most of the season (assuming Franzen doesn't last):

Z - D - Abby
Tatar - Richards - Nyquist
Helm/Jurco - Sheahan - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Jurco/Helm

Opener:

Abby - Z - Nyquist
Franzen - Richards - Tatar
Jurco - Sheahan - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Helm

honestly not sure what I like best after typing for a little. I don't want Jurco, Helm, or Pulkkinen on the fourth line but something's gotta give. If Franzen can play most of the season I really don't know what I'd want to do.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
When healthy, I'd like to see:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Sheahan
Tatar-Richards-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Jurco/Pulkkinen
Miller-Glendening-Ferraro

I can get behind a roster like that although I'd prefer Sheahan play C, even if it's in the 3C spot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Agree same here, Though Helene St James had mentioned that Blashill is considering moving Sheahan to wing but I hope he stays at #3 Center when Datsyuk gets back.

I honestly think a part of the Sheahan experiment is for the post-season anyway. Wanting to see what he can do out there and who else he has chemistry with.

Especially since in the playoffs the Wings will always ice our best possible roster health permitting. So a lot of parts could shift around and they want to know where Sheahan fits on the wing as well in terms of the big picture.

Wing position duty also might take the burden off some of his minutes and allow him to be available for both special teams units. Blash was a big fan of Sheahan on the PK and PP, so that might also be in play here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad