Let's talk Dion Phaneuf

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
So, at 5M aav, he is an expensive 5-6, but an affordable #4D. I think he still flashed skill and ability when asked to man #4 minutes last year (around ~16-18) and he still has a knack for getting his shot through to the net.

He is slow. Yes, we all know that.

But he does have an (imo) underrated breakout pass, and very deservedly praised ability to get points from the blue line. When he isn't taxed, he does a pretty solid job using his body to block the opponent and win board battles.

I think he is fair value at 5M, assuming he plays for us like he did last season, and isn't asked to take the load. With Doughty, Muzzin, and at least Martinez, he wont ever again be asked to be a #1.

I like him on our team. He was our warrior and energy at times last season, a man who could rally the troops on the ice, or the bench, with his enthusiasm for our team -- his guys -- combined with his passion for the game. A true team-first player we witnessed last season when he joined us. I'm sure he was burnt out from that dumpster fire he left.

He loves playing for LA, is at a decent cap hit if he gets the same amount of minutes as he was given by Stevens, and performs like he did whence he joined us.

Again, yes, he is slow, and it does get him beat from time to time, but we aren't putting the pressure on his shoulders the way his previous two orgs did. I think he's fair value at 5M, but also a luxury. A luxury forced on us due to the degrading Gaborik.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I agree, and I think he and Kovalchuk who are two players who are truly driven to compete for the Cup. Both the 2012 and 2014 teams had guys like that who visibly seemed to energize the group.

Regardless of his detractors, Kovy is clearly one of the best goal scorers in hockey history and his legacy is likely safe (but not as lasting) without a Cup, but the storyline of Phaneuf's career could really be rewritten with a Cup win on his resume.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Phaneuf is the opposite of a team player. Very selfish and not well liked anywhere. He's a bad influence on most dressing rooms. It seems like Kings have a strong enough room with brown Kopitar doughty quick etc to offset this somewhat though.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Phaneuf is the opposite of a team player. Very selfish and not well liked anywhere. He's a bad influence on most dressing rooms. It seems like Kings have a strong enough room with brown Kopitar doughty quick etc to offset this somewhat though.
Huh? What? Did you watch Kings hockey last year? Holden, you're a very good poster, surprised by this take, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Still believing everything you read from the Toronto media?

Huh? What? Did you watch Kings hockey last year? Holden, you're a very good poster, surprised by this take, man.

I grew up playing hockey in same circles as him. I've met him many many times (worked out at same gym). I'm friends with guys he grew up playing with. Nothing to do with media or a hot take. No one likes this guy. I can vouch for this up until his Toronto time (he stopped going home to Edmonton since no one liked him and he had baggage). It's unlikely, IMO he changed much considering who he is.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I grew up playing hockey in same circles as him. I've met him many many times (worked out at same gym). I'm friends with guys he grew up playing with. Nothing to do with media or a hot take. No one likes this guy. I can vouch for this up until his Toronto time (he stopped going home to Edmonton since no one liked him and he had baggage). It's unlikely, IMO he changed much considering who he is.

I know he was a dink as a rebel. That was a long time ago though.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I grew up playing hockey in same circles as him. I've met him many many times (worked at some gym). I'm friends with guys he grew up playing with. Nothing to do with media or a hot take. No one likes this guy.
Regardless, he was a catalyst for the Kings on many occasions last season. Sometimes he was our only set of balls on the ice. The way he gets under the skin of the opponent is almost a gift, just awesome, then he just skates off, leaving whomever met him in dismay and angrier. A master at the troll game @tny760.

His team loves him.

And he genuinely loves being a member of the Kings.

He also donated 10K to the Humboldt Broncos.

Dion is a good dude. A personal anecdote from your teenage years (while appreciated) just doesn't sway what I saw from him last season, and his actions behind his words are duly noted and recognized from this Kings fan.

Solid human being. /tangent

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Regardless, he was a catalyst for the Kings on many occasions last season. Sometimes he was our only set of balls on the ice. The way he gets under the skin of the opponent is almost a gift, just awesome, then he just skates off, leaving whomever met him in dismay and angrier. A master at the troll game @tny760.

His team loves him.

Dion is a good dude. A personal anecdote from your teenage years (while appreciated) just doesn't sway what I saw from him last season, and his actions behind his words are duly noted and recognized from this Kings fan.

Anything supporting humboldt is good but $10K for him is not alot. $10K of $7m is 0.14%. If you make $80K a year that is the equivalent of $114.

I have liked the way he has fit in so far. He takes some pressure off of other D, and gives more options if the team needs a bit of change. That said I think it is too small of a sample size either way so far.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Dude, cut it out. He gave one of the largest donations from a single entity.

You poo-pooing on that is nasty, bro

Poo-pooing? I said anything to do with that cause is good. Just that dollar amount is a weak thing to brag about. As a % of income I donated more and didn't get any PR (I don't make $80k).

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Rather have Dion at 5 million than Gaborik doing nothing but getting injured and scratched. I like him, teammates seem to like him. Up until he joined the Kings he had only played for Canadian teams so I think having him in a much less scrutinized market takes pressure off him to just play his game.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Rather have Dion at 5 million than Gaborik doing nothing but getting injured and scratched. I like him, teammates seem to like him. Up until he joined the Kings he had only played for Canadian teams so I think having him in a much less scrutinized market takes pressure off him to just play his game.
agreed, also want to add that in Calgary (to a lesser extent), Toronto and Ottawa he needed to be a leader as well. Both on and off the ice. Here the leadership can be taken care of by others allowing Dion to just focus on his game.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Guy was awesome for us. Thriving in that 2nd pairing role where he's insulated by other players. Limiting his minutes has been stellar. By all accounts he's well liked here and a model citizen; I do think there must be SOME fire behind the smoke from elsewhere but hey maybe the lack of spotlight and pressure is helpful for him. Sticks up for teammates, can play AND snarl...not much to not like. I don't even think the cap is prohibitive given the going rate for top-4 d-men right now. He's basically what we hoped we'd consistently get from mcnabb

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

His team loves him.

On the ice I've never been a big fan, but he was certainly much better when the Kings gave him a reduced role. He's never been close to the #1 he was billed at all those years, IMO, but as a 4-5-6 type of defenseman I can appreciate what he has done on the ice.

Off the ice is different. I know what he was like up until maybe 5 years ago anyways and people don't change much after that age in my experience. I will never view him a "good dude" or "solid human being". Everyone and their mother gave to Humboldt awesome. He has always been a superficial person though, good at first glance to people but a scumbag underneath which is why no one ended up liking him. I've heard from people I know who know him that the trade out of Calgary was under really suspicious circumstances (can't go into more as it's just rumour and I don't blame anyone for not believing me, I wouldn't). Doesn't matter to me, I am still a Kings fan so I hope it does work out long term. We'll see.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
On the ice I've never been a big fan, but he was certainly much better when the Kings gave him a reduced role. He's never been close to the #1 he was billed at all those years, IMO, but as a 4-5-6 type of defenseman I can appreciate what he has done on the ice.

Off the ice is different. I know what he was like up until maybe 5 years ago anyways and people don't change much after that age in my experience. I will never view him a "good dude" or "solid human being". Everyone and their mother gave to Humboldt awesome. He has always been a superficial person though, good at first glance to people but a ******* underneath which is why no one ended up liking him. I've heard from people I know who know him that the trade out of Calgary was under really suspicious circumstances (can't go into more as it's just rumour and I don't blame anyone for not believing me, I wouldn't). Doesn't matter to me, I am still a Kings fan so I hope it does work out long term. We'll see.

The trade out of Calgary is something i wish we somehow could find out all the details on. There are some rumors that I believe and some that I do not.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

88CsrrK.jpg

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
As long he is an a-hole getting the puck on net via a hard shot, I'll take him over Gaborik who isn't even on ice half the time to shoot. Besides, when an a-hole is motivated, sometimes they make effective hockey players.

Reactions: King Trouty

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
He's worn the letter A or C for a majority of his career. Maybe, his "leadership" rubs people the wrong way. Some people really become douche-y when they are put in that role.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Reminds me of the Kings trading for Robyn Regehr, for some reason. He’s providing a physical presence on the back end. Should be a good 3rd pair with Martinez. Cap hit is high, but that’s okay when you have the deepest defense corp in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad