Lets talk about the Flames defense

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
From the Flames games I have watched this year, Smith has been pretty good overall. Better than what they have had in net in recent years to say the least.

I think they're D is quite overrated, I said so at the start of the season

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Yeah, I have never understood how people think their defense is elite..

Don't results, year after year, mean anything to you?

And people thought hamonic would put that defense over the top!?

It's a results driven business and the flames defense is average.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Really overrated outside of Giordano. The fact that Giordano plays 20+ minutes a night keeps them from being an utter trash defence.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Nightfx

Nov 23, 2009
Calgary
Giordano is great

Brodie should be on the right side (with Giordano)

Hamilton is overrated (needs to play with Giordano)

Hamonic is overrated

Stone & Kulak are ok

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
They're great offensively, middle of the pack defensively. Unfortunately they just can't seem to play to their potential. From my understanding, GG takes a lot of blame for that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Frankly, I don't see why they were so interested in Hamonic. Hasn't been impressive in my viewings of him. Maybe he needs more time adjusting to a new team. But he's got to play better for the price it cost the flames to get him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
they're awful in their own end. Giordano is a stud, but aside from that they are really really bad at defending. Hamilton and Brodie are good at offense though

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
A lot of "elite" d cores are overrated.
Calgary
Philly
Carolina

Defense wins championship lmao

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What? People talk, i.e. make the same joke over and over again, about their defense 24/7. I think they're actually crossing the threshold into underrated territory now, lol.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
they're awful in their own end. Giordano is a stud, but aside from that they are really really bad at defending. Hamilton and Brodie are good at offense though
they are brutal at board battles which leads to way too many odd man rushes/breakaways

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What? People talk, i.e. make the same joke over and over again, about their defense 24/7. I think they're actually crossing the threshold into underrated territory now, lol.

The thing is, most people who call their defense the best in the league do so seriously. Most people who say they suck are doing it half jokingly as a response to them being overrated.

The reality is, they do have a fairly good defensive core, but aside from Backlund, their forwards suck defensively and it makes everyone look worse as a result. Especially since their defense is built around offensive dmen.

They also don’t have 3 or 4 #1 dmen like Calgary fans usually think. They might not have 1 at this point even. They have 3 dmen in the #2-#3 range, a #4, and a #5. They also have an abundance of currently crap dmen to try on the bottom pairing with Stone.

And in regards to Smith, I’d say if anything, he’s propped them up at this point. He definitely hasn’t made them look worse.

Reactions: Foppberg

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The thing is, most people who call their defense the best in the league do so seriously. Most people who say they suck are doing it half jokingly as a response to them being overrated.

The reality is, they do have a fairly good defensive core, but aside from Backlund, their forwards suck defensively and it makes everyone look worse as a result. Especially since their defense is built around offensive dmen.

They also don’t have 3 or 4 #1 dmen like Calgary fans usually think. They might not have 1 at this point even. They have 3 dmen in the #2-#3 range, a #4, and a #5. They also have an abundance of currently crap dmen to try on the bottom pairing with Stone.

And in regards to Smith, I’d say if anything, he’s propped them up at this point. He definitely hasn’t made them look worse.
Idk Brodie and Hamonic constantly look like a tire fire to me defensively.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Brodie and Hamonic need to be separated immediately, they just don't click. Swap Hamonic and Stone and that'll solve the problem. First pair is still fantastic.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Best D at gambling. Not so good at defending. If there was an award for playing 4th forward the most, I'm sure a flames Dman would win it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad