OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
interstellar was slow - but visually stunning and Sci Fi so I liked it.
Gravity was decent, visually stunning though and Sci Fi, so I liked it
*Arrival I dont think is Nolan (Villeneuve?), and yes that was tediously slow, I could barely stay awake.

I intend on seeing Oppenheimer, but was wondering is I should just wait for Streaming, or give it the wide screen treatment.

*now if you are talking about the epic film Arrival II, filmed in Brossard, then 10/10 as I was an "alien" extra in the film.. lol

PS. Spearmint Rhino is overpriced and half as good as any club in MTL.
You’re not wrong on the last part

Reactions: themilosh

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So finally saw Mission Impossible. The train stuff has to be the most insane thing I've watched in a long time. Unreal. The story was not the greatest though. I heard they changed story mid-stream when they were shooting the movie. lol Whathisname that played Beast in X-Men was the villain but was fired and he was replaced by another older actor and IA, basically. But the other guy was meh to me. They should just have brought back Cavill and it's the twin of the guy from the other movie bent on revenge. lol

Another thing is I would cut the scene with the goofy yellow car. The movie went from serious to a straight comedy and I could not wait till it ended. Just did not fit.

As a whole it was worth the ticket though esp. for the train scene.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
the Dark Knight opening sequence is just .. chef's kiss

Absolutely! THAT is how you introduce a villain. And, unlike some of Nolan’s recent films, the musical score during that opening was brilliant. It built up tension beautifully right up to the Joker’s reveal.

So finally saw Mission Impossible. The train stuff has to be the most insane thing I've watched in a long time. Unreal. The story was not the greatest though. I heard they changed story mid-stream when they were shooting the movie. lol Whathisname that played Beast in X-Men was the villain but was fired and he was replaced by another older actor and IA, basically. But the other guy was meh to me. They should just have brought back Cavill and it's the twin of the guy from the other movie bent on revenge. lol

Another thing is I would cut the scene with the goofy yellow car. The movie went from serious to a straight comedy and I could not wait till it ended. Just did not fit.

LMAO! It would be both stupid and EPIC if Cavill’s twin just showed up! Just being able to watch Cavill load his “guns” again would had been worth it.

Dead Reckoning was my third favorite MI movie but reflecting back on it, the main human antagonist I didn’t like so much. I didn’t know about the behind the scenes you described but it makes sense.

The train sequence was pretty nuts, but the car chase and the alleyway fight were my two favorite parts.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Absolutely! THAT is how you introduce a villain. And, unlike some of Nolan’s recent films, the musical score during that opening was brilliant. It built up tension beautifully right up to the Joker’s reveal.

LMAO! It would be both stupid and EPIC if Cavill’s twin just showed up! Just being able to watch Cavill load his “guns” again would had been worth it.

Dead Reckoning was my third favorite MI movie but reflecting back on it, the main human antagonist I didn’t like so much. I didn’t know about the behind the scenes you described but it makes sense.

The train sequence was pretty nuts, but the car chase and the alleyway fight were my two favorite parts.

My issue with the car chase with the small yellow car is that I thought it was well choregraphed and executed but because it was that car, it became too comical for me, it took me out of the movie. It was like I was thinking "this is not what I came to see Mission Impossible for". If say it had happened in a Tropic Thunder 2 movie, I would have been roaring. But it's like I want more serious shit in MI. I thought they could have done the same crazy shit but with a normal car. Then it would have been fine. Because people would have reacted and laughed how awesome the stunts and the execution are rather than the look of the car. It sort of reminded me of the Elton John scene in Kingsmen 2 where I was like:"naaaa".

Reactions: sandviper

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore

The train scene was ripped straight from Uncharted 2. There were a lot of scenes that felt very uncharted.

Tom Cruise is the last living Hollywood star. Dude knows exactly what it is to make movies. I really hope he imparts that knowledge to someone to take the mantle.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I actually got a job as one os the dancers in Thriller.

I suppose given your age that you were safe or.............

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f...gif

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
All right, let’s go on a different direction sort of. Best war movies ever. My opinion: 1 Patton 2 Midway- Charlton Heston version 3 The Dirty Dozen 4 The Blue Max- Ursula Andress in her prime!!! 5 Tora Tora Tora.
I was just going through some old DVDs found a good one. It's not REALLY a war movie, but A Few Good Men is a very good movie. It's sort of war-related.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hot dog eating contests don't count.:sarcasm:
5xe3xx.jpg

200w.gif

First time having a hotdog was during the jeux de Quebec when Lesters I guess were sponsoring it or some of it and as a participant they were free of charge.Since then I've had maybe a dozen or so.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Tropic Thunder 82% Rotten Tomatoes

Meet The Parents 85% Rotten Tomatoes

Zoolander 62% Rotten Tomatoes (thought this would be higher)

Royal Tenenbaums 81%

critics seem to like his movies? :dunno:
Royal Tenenbaums is a Wes Anderson movie. Stiller didn't write or direct it.

Meet The Parents he didn't write or direct either.

But he has done some things that have been well recognized, so I agree with your main point.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
That was more because the first sequel was trying to pay homage to a new hope and then they did rewrites for the third because they changed directions. I watched them knowing how much people hated them and didn't think they were remotely as bad as nerds said. They definitely were angry because every character wasn't white and the lead was a girl.

Likewise I grew up watching the original trilogy and I do not think it aged well at all. I think too many people got caught up in the fact that star wars is literally for children and couldn't understand why there were sections of the movie designed for children. Acting wise Daisy was the best lead of the movie franchise. Obviously Pedro Pascal is fantastic in the mandalorian.

I also don't understand the writing criticism comparatively speaking when the OT was literally cheesy one liners with zero depth in any form.
I'm pretty much done with Star Wars. I like the original movie the best. The first 2/3 of that movie is amazing. The Empire Strikes Back is pretty good too. The rest of the franchise is not worth it for me anymore.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm pretty much done with Star Wars. I like the original movie the best. The first 2/3 of that movie is amazing. The Empire Strikes Back is pretty good too. The rest of the franchise is not worth it for me anymore.

If it wasn't for Alec Guinness I would not have been able to get through the first one.

View attachment 735917
I have to agree. Star wars simply isn't that good. It was always for children. I don't get angry about Ghostbusters remakes.

Star wars was never in the same tier as Lord of the rings. Comparable writing to Star wars can be found in any paperback novel that a drugstore sells, to quote Gordon Lightfoot.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I have to agree. Star wars simply isn't that good. It was always for children. I don't get angry about Ghostbusters remakes.

Star wars was never in the same tier as Lord of the rings. Comparable writing to Star wars can be found in any paperback novel that a drugstore sells, to quote Gordon Lightfoot.
Exactly , its really not the great space political epic some of the fans think it is :laugh::laugh: .

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The train scene was ripped straight from Uncharted 2. There were a lot of scenes that felt very uncharted.

Tom Cruise is the last living Hollywood star. Dude knows exactly what it is to make movies. I really hope he imparts that knowledge to someone to take the mantle.

I have not seen it yet but It's a shame the Uncharted movie seemed to have been underwhelming. The game seemed like the ideal mix of Mission Impossible and Indiana Jones.

But yea they should like literally infuse Cruise's blood into the veins of any new actors coming out. I know that Glen Powell who played Hangman in Top Gun Maverick says he was a huge fan of Tom before making the movie and that he got pretty close to Tom. After the movie, Tom even was telling him that if he wanted roles that he could help him with his contacts in the movie industry. Hopefully he infused him some movie making wisdom as a parting gift. And in Miles Teller as well. Go the extra miles for the fans and respect them.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Twisted Metal : Despite the raw action scene, free violence and everything in between, this one was fun and esay to watch as all episodes are about 25 minutes. Mackie and Beatriz worked very well together and Samoa Joe as Sweet tooth is perfect. No down time for sure. Thought this one would suck and I wsa pleaseantly surprise, 8.9 / 10

Painkiller : The subject isn't new, the acting is okay at best but as something that affected so many lives, the series felt botched and and not go deep enough on the subject. It's the same storie as the series Dopesick and it sucks comparing to Dopesick so it's 5.5/10

The Bear season 2: Empty and full at the same time. Loved it as the 1st season. A welcome change of pace compared to the typical shows out there these days. Acting is simply a step ahead of most series out there 9.1/10

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Watched the documentary Good Night Oppy on amazon prime yesterday. Very well worth a watch if you like space exploration. It's made for kids a bit but still very interesting for adults. It's an 1:40 and i did not watch the time once.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He is maybe the biggest bag of scum in Hollywood as a human being and I reuse to watch any of his work.

Last edited by a moderator:

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
He is maybe the biggest bag of scum in Hollywood as a human being and I reuse to watch any of his work.

Brutal! you are supporting a pedophile....
That's pretty harsh. I confess I'm not familiar with the reasoning you believe that. What did he do? I know he's a scientologist, and he tried converting Katie, but what else did he do to be worse than Weinstein?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's pretty harsh. I confess I'm not familiar with the reasoning you believe that. What did he do? I know he's a scientologist, and he tried converting Katie, but what else did he do to be worse than Weinstein?

Weinstein is out of Hollywood so Tom takes over. He is the face of scientology PR and he loves it. It is for all intents and purposes a criminal organization being protected by idiotic American Laws and should be brought up on racketeering charges. He is fully committed and dedicated to keeping the veil pulled over the public's eyes as much as he possibly can. There are plenty of accounts of him being a p.o.s to work with as well

Cruise is complicit in enabling and promoting slavery, psychological abuse, extortion, blackmail, child abuse, fraud, criminal harassment and in some cases actual physical violence etc, etc.......I couldn't watch him act in any film/show even if I was forced to because I would only see the self centered pile of sociopathic garbage that he is and not the role that he is portraying.

I am certainly not a cancel culture guy but if/when this organization is brought to justice I hope he goes down with the ship and his entire career is forever stained.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Weinstein is out of Hollywood so Tom takes over. He is the face of scientology PR and he loves it. It is for all intents and purposes a criminal organization being protected by idiotic American Laws and should be brought up on racketeering charges. He is fully committed and dedicated to keeping the veil pulled over the public's eyes as much as he possibly can. There are plenty of accounts of him being a p.o.s to work with as well

Cruise is complicit in enabling and promoting slavery, psychological abuse, extortion, blackmail, child abuse, fraud, criminal harassment and in some cases actual physical violence etc, etc.......I couldn't watch him act in any film/show even if I was forced to because I would only see the self centered pile of sociopathic garbage that he is and not the role that he is portraying.

I am certainly not a cancel culture guy but if/when this organization is brought to justice I hope he goes down with the ship and his entire career is forever stained.
Point taken! That's intense mate.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yes, because you know this for certain.

Cruise was definitely wacky at one point but a lot of the Scientology stuff kinda died down since. As for being a POS on set, if people are referring to his tirade while filming the most recent MI, while it was extreme, I did agree with his message he was trying to convey.

Anyhow, I got no skin in the game and don’t know him. However, a quick google on his behaviour on set does mention his rant, but there are many articles about how nice he is as well. Which is it? Probably a little of both but it’s obvious he’s ultra passionate about his craft.

Maybe he’s abusive, plays mind games and torments his co-stars and staff, but to be honest, there’s no evidence of that. At least based on what I see as a fan, he’s passionate and expects high standards from those around him but he holds himself to the same standards. Does he yell and scream? Sure, but he’s also putting in the time, effort and all of himself into the project as well.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad