OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My top 20 of the last 10 years. It got hard to rank after the top 5.

1. Game of Thrones
  2. Breaking Bad
  3. The Wire
  4. Stranger Things
  5. Better Call Saul
  6. The Americans
  7. Homeland
  8. Mad Men
  9. Manhunt: Unabomber
  10. The Punisher
  11. Mindhunter
  12. House of Cards
  13. Godless
  14. Sherlock
  15. Daredevil
  16. Boardwalk Empire
  17. The Newsroom
  18. Dexter (sucked after season 4 - trinity killer)
  19. Glow
  20. Arrested Development

This is a pretty good list as far as my ratings go. I don't think I'd have GoT at the top anymore. The last 2 seasons disappointed me quite a bit.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
There's no way I could rank 20 or more shows in order. I've crossed the threshold now, having seen so many good ones that I will certainly omit a bunch in such list of mine.

I could do top 3 ever for me, those that I elevate above the rest by a clear margin.

1. River
2. The OA
3. The Handmaid's Tale

After that I can list 20-30 more than are difficult to put in any given order. You can go by my Sidereel profile and ratings there if you want to get an idea: p1x44r Reviews & Ratings | Profile | SideReel

And even that list is missing many I suspect. I don't always remember to track shows I watch on the site.

You don't find The Handmaid's Tale went of the rails in season 2, season 1 might be my favorite single season of any series, but season 2 was terrible imo.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Eesh GoT greedy? End it two seasons ago? Don't think so. There was a LOT of material to cover. The writers made it very clear they wanted to end the show now that they ran out of source material. Can't really blame them, they were probably expecting GRRM to have finished his book by now. It's been 7 years since the show first aired. GRRM writes slower than molasses. With 16+ million viewers, easily one of the most viewed television shows ever. It was them that pushed for more content. Even then the next season will only be getting 6 episodes and the last one only got 7 so it is clear that the intent is to end the show.

For any of the book readers that have been turned off from the show, you will likely have to reconcile with the fact that the only closure you're going to get with the series will be from the TV show assuming GRRM shared his master plan with the writers which I am assuming he did so that they wouldn't butcher his life's work.

I actually found they started rushing things and still have way too many loose ends to tie up in one season. Dunno how it could have ended 2 seasons ago.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Finished the 2nd season of Sneaky Pete. I enjoyed the first season more, couldn't buy into the elaborate con that Pete was orchestrating. For me, Murphy's mom ruined it, the story lost a lot of steam with her around and everything she did made me question what her purpose was. I didn't buy into her spiritualist persona either, it was too much to bear. Giovanni Ribisi showed a lot of acting range but ultimately, the storyline became too theatrical and annoying.

Glad I watched it though, there were a lot of compelling moments.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another show I had enjoyed but forgotten about is Casual on Hulu. Had seen season 1 a long time ago and it was great. Missed out since and wondering how the rest of the seasons look like.

Reactions: Laurentide

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I wasn’t feeling it when watching the trailers. Rampage was ok but it’s not something I am going to rewatch. Skyscraper definitely looks like a rental.
Rampage sucked so badly...
Favorite part was laughing uncontrollably at my girlfriend when I noticed she was crying...hahaha
How does one cry while watching this piece of crap, I still make fun of her for it.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I actually found they started rushing things and still have way too many loose ends to tie up in one season. Dunno how it could have ended 2 seasons ago.
Had they sped up the show from the start, added 2 episodes per year, they probably could finished it by now.
Of course, when everything is super slow, well you can't suddenly speed up the process.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Rampage sucked so badly...
Favorite part was laughing uncontrollably at my girlfriend when I noticed she was crying...hahaha
How does one cry while watching this piece of crap, I still make fun of her for it.

I don’t get it also. My wife cried at the end of that movie.

I mean, while we were dating, we went to see the first Independence Day and she cried, not when the wife died, but during the big speech at the end.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I thought they were rather selfish. I think D & D seemed desperately wanting to end it early either cause the material is not there or they are exausted(they talked about doing something much smaller in the near future). And it showed how they pretty much have given up on certain characters or adding any elements to the mythos. The killing of Baelish represented that to me. The guy WAS Game of Thrones, he was the Game itself. He should have a had a better plan than just sit around for a whole seaons and waiting for the two Stark girl to kill each other. It lacked ambition and foresight. I always thought he had this Grand plan where we would see everything unfold at the end. Hell he probably started the whole Robert rebellion way back then! And I would not be shocked that that is what GRRM is gonna do. If it were me, Baelish would have lasted till the end and then kill him there(maybe by Varys defeating him).

But D & D wanted to end it all so let's go battles, special effects, whole Houses get destroyed, teleportation and questionable writing with many holes. So the last Season will be nothing but a monster movie with zombies.
A friend of mine had the exact same perception of Baelish as you and also thought he'd stay on as the ultimate puppet-master. But by two seasons ago it looked like the writers had decided he'd run out of road, passed his best-before date, jumped the shark... whatever. He was dead-schemer-walking.

Your last paragraph is dead-on. I'm not interested in watching a show built on amazing characters and politics devolve into a cheap, bloody hormone-fest for teenage boys.

Reactions: Kimota and ArtPeur

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Because @Kriss E got me thinking about it, does anyone here have a list of movies/shows that made them tear-up or cry? I'm sure there are many more I forget but here is 5 I know that will put that twinge in my chest:

1. Finding Nemo: The final scene.
2. Star Trek 2009: LOL @ me, but I am referring to the opening sequence and George's sacrifice.
3. Up: Opening sequence.
4: Furious 7: I know, I know, but first time I saw it, when the song See You Again started, I am pretty sure I had to fight tears.
5. E.T.: Anyone who says they didn't cry is lying to you.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don’t get it also. My wife cried at the end of that movie.

I mean, while we were dating, we went to see the first Independence Day and she cried, not when the wife died, but during the big speech at the end.
That's when you knew she was a keeper?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Because @Kriss E got me thinking about it, does anyone here have a list of movies/shows that made them tear-up or cry? I'm sure there are many more I forget but here is 5 I know that will put that twinge in my chest:

2. Star Trek 2009: LOL @ me, but I am referring to the opening sequence and George's sacrifice.
4: Furious 7: I know, I know, but first time I saw it, when the song See You Again started, I am pretty sure I had to fight tears.

Cinema Paradiso is the only movie I can recall making me teary eyed.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Ken Burns A Vietnam War... Wow! It's like that best military war movie ever... except that it actually happened in real life.

Mariolemieux said that The Florida Project was a must watch, so I did and I concur. 9/10
Willhem Dafoe looks like he jumped into the fountain of youth and that little girl was too cute! The movie got snubbed at the oscars and while I didn't see the other movies up for best picture this year, compared to The Shape of Water it's a tough call. I really liked The Shape of Water and love Guillermo del Toro. The Florida Project tells the unsexy story of poverty seen through the eyes of a daughter and her single mom. Most people usually go watch movies to escape from reality, not be reminded of it. Probably a little too close too home for many. No hollywood fairy tales here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariolemieux66

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Would need to give this a good think but off the top of my head John Q got me good! Possibly Mr Holland's Opus. Basically any kind of heroic sacrifice or deed or injustice usually gets me good.

Don't remember if I cried but The Theory of Everything was pretty damn sad as well as being a great movie. Other notables that got me teary eyed Grave of the Fireflies, The Green Mile, Good Will Hunting, Marley and Me, Million Dollar Baby. If we're going all the way back to childhood then The Fox and the Hound was my favorite book and The Neverending Story was my favorite movie!

Last edited:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

LotR: Return of the King

I still can't handle the last 20min even after watching that movie over 10-20 times

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I loved the opening scene in the 2009 Star Trek reboot, although I didn't get misty eyed. But the prologue to "Up"... wow... that was beautiful storytelling. Definitely with you there.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Just came back from watching Skyscraper with The Rock. Why is this movie even in the theatre. Maybe Dwayne should stop doing 4+ movies a year. I liked Jumanji though.

Named ‘highest paid actor’ by Forbes - Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson - started with just $7

His earning at $124 million last year was the largest ever recorded on the Forbes celebrity list.

That's all that really matters, the above line.

When he stops making bank he'll be selective. When you get 124 mil in a year(I don't know if it includes all income) then f*** it. You make 10 movies if you can and double it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad